SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lalibellule_gw

Newborn poncirus help

lalibellule
17 years ago

This is an almost-a-citrus and also a very-newbie question, so I ask your indulgence. I have a baby poncirus sprout sitting in a ziploc bag of dirt on my table right now, and very little idea what to do next. I'm not sure what variety I've got because I, er, *cough* borrowed some fruits from the zoo (the elephants voiced no objections) and they've got various different trees in the same area. This fruit came from a small, contorted, curved-thorned tree growing almost in the shadow of a full-sized straight-thorned trifoliate orange. So I guess it will either be a flying dragon, or not. :) As long as it stays small enough to keep in a pot on the balcony for a couple of years while I dream of someday having a yard, I don't mind either way. (It's actually thanks to this forum that I figured out what those trees were when a friend and I saw them there last year, and that I've been slowly growing more convinced that I absolutely must have one.)

This little sprout (and it has a friend on the way) is getting close to being too tall for the baggie. It keeps wanting to touch the sides. It's hard to say how many leaves it has; they're pretty small and haven't really unfurled yet, but there's a little puff of baby foliage at the top of the stem. When is it ready to come out of the bag, and where should it go? I've found some threads on germinating, and some on raising the seedlings, but I need some help stepping over that line. Seems like I'll need to put it in a small pot, and I can pop a baggie over the top for humidity, but I'm not sure what sort of dirt it would like at this stage of tininess, and at what point I should start fertilizing.

All I have in the apartment right now are potting soil and Miracle-Gro for the house/balcony plants, so I am a clean slate for advice on what to purchase (hopefully in smaller quantities, proportional to the size of the plant and my small chance of success). I will sterilize a small pot and await your wisdom.

- Lali

Comments (3)