SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
constanceann

Choosing a washer is harder than choosing a new car!

constanceann
15 years ago

Our 23 year old GE TL, which NEVER had a problem or repair, is finally not spinning well. We decided to research the new HE front loaders as an economical and environmental option. After reading posts here and all over the web, all we have seen are nightmares about smells, too little water, and breakdowns from the start. We looked at the FL models and I do not like how small and low to the ground the opening is. Having to purchase a pedestal at an additional $200-$240 is ridiculous! Then we started to look at the HE TLs. We thought this would be a way to have the top loading feature but save on water. We ordered the Kenmore Elite Oasis HE TL. When we got home and researched this model we found that there were so many people having problems that a class action suit against Sears is being processed! Luckily it had only been 6 hours since we placed the order and they were not able to deliver for 2 weeks so we were able to cancel. I have since read that the HE TLs also do not use enough water, to the point of some clothes coming out still dry or still with stain cleaner on them. In addition, I've seen many posts about how HE TL's braid the clothes together into a wrinkled mess! After all of this research, we have decided to just get a regular old TL. I'm always conservative in adjusting the water level and I feel the clothes come out really clean. I think any model with the new computer boards seem really prone to failure. Foremost, we are looking for a reliable washer that cleans clothes. We do not have time to wait at home for repair guys. So, from this forum and others on the web, we are seeing that the Speed Queen TLs seem to be quite reliable. Does anyone have recent experience with Speed Queens they'd like to share with me? Or are there other regular TLs anyone would recommend? We will try to be conservative in our use of water and energy in other ways but do not have time to add washer repairs to our very long daily list of things to do. Thanks for your input.

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio