SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ailene54

Buying a new mattress....is harder then buying a new car

Ilene Perl
9 years ago

When I bought my car I went to a couple of dealers, new what I wanted and could easily figure out which price was best, I also understood the warrantee. Not the same with mattresses! Every store has a different name for same mattress, or does one store carry lower line? The warrantee on mattress is not straight forward. I put a memory foam topper to extend the use of my "top of the line mattress, which slopes to one side...just not enough to enact the 20 year warrantee. My mattress is 10 years old, had inspector come first time when 8 years old, second time at 8 1/2, third at 9, he was here yesterday. So now I'm shopping for new mattress, old one isn't bad enough, or so says the inspector. I went on line (daughter bought hers thru overstock), googled which was best for bad back and came up with mattress only sold online called Saatva. The price is good, but was hoping someone here bought one. I've had two spinal surgeries, and need a good mattress. I figure if this one is comfortable and lasts 5-10 years with the price I'm actually ahead? Please tell me if you heard, or bought on of these. There return policy seems good too....I'm so confused!!!

http://saatvamattress.com/?utm_source=msn&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=the+efficient+campaign&utm_content=back+pain&utm_term=the%20best%20mattress%20for%20back%20pain&utm_creative=e

Comments (53)

• violetwest
    9 years ago

agree, much harder! because there are tons of tests and reviews available for cars -- we need a review site for mattresses!

what a rip off they are. Don't get taken into thinking you have to spend big bucks for a mattress that will cure your bad back -- I am extremely skeptical of any claims like that.

• dedtired
    9 years ago

Do you have a Verlo franchise near you? I think they are quite honest. Worth looking and trying them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Verlo

• Related Discussions

Buying a new car - special savings events

Q

Comments (1)
    Sorry, it seems no one is familiar with these new cars.
    ...See More

Choosing a washer is harder than choosing a new car!

Q

Comments (12)
    Constanceann; Sorry to hear that you are having a problem picking out your new washer. I would like to say this to you though; Many of the post that you read out on the net that are reporting problems, Alot of them are user error. I'm not saying that all are and that there are not problems with machines, however, most people will only speak/post about problems and people who don't have problems rarely say/post anything. An example of this is on the sears website. On the 5th page of reviews for Kenmore FL model 48116 the person reports that clothes don't get wet that are in the middle, and that they don't come out rinsed. Well, with a statement like that she actually says two things here. One is that she is overloading the machine. She states that she can only fill it 2/3 full--hhhmmmm something doesn't jive here. I also know that this machine does 3 rinses in it's cycles. I know this as a friend of mine has this machine (3 yrs now) and I get to see it run. There is also the option for extra rinse on this machine for a maxium of 4 rinses. My HE3 that I bought 5 yrs ago only does 2 rinses in its cycles with an extra rinse option for 3 rinses. Most odor/smell problems comes from people keeping the door cloesed after use and not using enough detergent for their soil/water conditions or using too much and not using hot water and bleach for whites. As stated above, I have had my HE3 now for 5 yrs, It's been moved twice, and as of this post today, I have not had one repair done on this machine. In my manual it said to throw out the shipping bolts once removed and if moving the machine, us a dolly from the side, not the front or back which I did when I moved it. I have not had any issues with mold or a smelly drum. When I moved into my new house 5 yrs ago, it was on well water with a whole house water softner. Even so the water had a very high iron content. I went to the store and got some "yellow out" to wash my whites with once a month. Now I'm on city water which is medium in hardness. I do switch back and forth alot from liquid to powder detergent. In my personal experience I have found that using the sears ultra plus seems to clean the tub and seals as well as strips the laundry from any detergent build-up. As far as tangling goes, yes, sometimes I do have tangling. That is when I was a load that contains alot of PJ bottoms, and long sleeve shirts. I reduce this by folding the PJ bottoms and placing them in the drum. It has been discussed on here about a learning curve when going to a FL, but I never understand that statement cuz I never had that issue. Yes, you do have to sort laundry differenly to wash similar fabrics together, but you should be doing that in any washer. I'm going to leave it at that. My point is, some people will exaggerate issues they have and makes easy fixes into huge problems. Again I'm sure that there are issues out there, but also try and read between the lines as...
    ...See More

Should i buy a new 'car' now?

Q

Comments (11)
    My calculator tells me that we bought our current home for 70% of the builder's original price, and 82% of the lowest price he said he'd accept. He lost more on this house than any of our first nine houses cost. At least he can take a tax loss, which is why he was willing to deal. I'm delighted with our purchase. Not only was it a good price, it's a beautiful home and the view is a balm to the spirit. A couple who considered buying this house last year now want the builder to build a similar, but smaller, house for them in a nearby area. If they follow through on a cost plus 10% contract (and he's not sure he will take less than cost plus 15%), their new house is estimated to price out considerably higher than what we paid. Were they to build in our neighborhood, the cost would be even higher. However, I think there are some amazing deals to be had both on existing (resale) houses and builder specs. In some cases, there are even good deals from production builders. One of our children had a house built recently. The builder's incentives included changing certain upgrades to standard features and paying closing costs. The total mortgage payment, including taxes & ins., is $200/mo. less than rent on an apartment that has less than 2/3 the house's SF. Car ins. is cheaper because the car is parked inside a garage, and the garage is another quality of life benefit as well. Due to a steady increase in jobs projected there for the next five years, I have no doubt that it will prove to be a good financial decision. But even if the house doesn't increase in value, it will provide a comfortable, secure home with no shared walls or parking lot security issues or common laundry facility hassles.
    ...See More

Penny Auctions - people buying new cars for $600

Q

Comments (2)
    Google "penny auction scam". And stay away! Here is a link that might be useful: google results
    ...See More
  • nhb22
    9 years ago

Not for this car owner!

Here is a link that might be useful: Mattress manufacturer owner

• terezosa / terriks
    9 years ago

I agree, buying a mattress is ridiculous!! We bought a new one about 5 years ago, and I went with a latex mattress. I researched on this site. I considered a totally customizable mattress from Flo Beds, but ended up with a latex mattress from a local store.

I understand that the mark up on mattresses is HUGE. That must be why there two Sleep Country stores less than a mile apart in my town.

• jane__ny
    9 years ago

Research, research. They are expensive and you spend too much time using them. If you make a mistake, you're stuck.

We wound up going to a smaller store which carried latex without fire protection. After researching, I learned how many chemicals are in matresses with fire protection and all the foam. You are breathing that stuff in all night.

We wound up with an organic matress, with latex and bamboo. Sounds weird, but the fabric is made from bamboo and the matress is latex. Cost for the king was $800.00 but it is the most comfortable mattress.

Jane

• lascatx
    9 years ago

Jane, do you know who makes your mattress? We bought a latex mattress for our son and he has loved it. We may be looking for ourselves before long.

• camlan
    9 years ago

The mattress stores do all have different names for the mattresses. It is ridiculous. Don't try to compare the mattress names. Ask for the number of coils and the thickness of the various types of padding and compare those.

In my area, the options for buying a mattress are limited to the mattress stores, a couple of department stores that still have mattress departments, and one custom mattress manufacturer.

I can't afford custom, and the mattress stores salespeople are way too overbearing and pushy. I've purchased my last two mattress at Macy's and have been pretty pleased with the experience. It could just be the salespeople at that store, but while they were salespeople and were trying to make a sale, they were not overly pushy and were willing to let me try out the mattresses without a lot of sales talk until I was ready for it.

Do ask questions. What does the warranty cover? If it is a pillowtop mattress, this is especially important--they will only cover compression of the pillowtop if it is greater than a certain, specified amount, say 1.5 inches.

Don't be afraid to take notes and then go home and sleep on the decision. Don't be afraid to flop around on several mattresses. I have a friend who brings her own pillow along to test out the mattress, just to make sure the combination is comfortable.

You could also check out Apartment Therapy's review of several different mattresses. The creator of the blog spent nearly a year sleeping on a different mattress every month to really check them out.

Here is a link that might be useful: Apartment therapy

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

Jane, I'd like to know that, too. Also, how "hot" does your mattress sleep? I'm going to be in the market for a new one, and I'm thinking natural latex might be the way to go.

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

Years ago I had slept on a S&F mattress at a friend's and slept the most sound I had ever remembered. They were always too pricey for me while we had kids at home and I was not working or only part time. Well, I finally got my S&F 2 years ago and I am underwhelmed. It is OK. I don't sleep well, but I'm not sure if it's the bed or just age.

• suzieque
    9 years ago

I have a Saatva. Dealing with the company was fabulous; they're great. And I have really enjoyed my mattress.

I agree that buying online, sight unseen, was very risky and I knew that. But frankly, I'd been so frustrated with shopping and trying them all out that I just went for it.

No regrets. Oh - I did, at first, get the firmer one because they recommended it. But I didn't like it at all so switched to a softer one and it's great (they donate returned mattresses to a couple of different charities).

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

What is a Saatva?

• robo (z6a)
    9 years ago

What do you all think of sleeplikethedead.com for mattress reviews?

We desperately need a new mattress but I have been putting it off like crazy. Husband wants nothing to do with memory foam. The sad part is we have a close friend that owns a mattress store but our last mattress purchase there was unsatisfactory.

• Ilene Perl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I realize I'm not alone in hating to look at mattresses.

Suzieque I'm happy to hear you have a Saatva mattress. Also glad to hear they were easy to deal with. I'm thinking og ordering the luxury firm, which is the one I think you switched to? How is yours wearing? How long do you have it? What thickness mattress do you have? Box spring?

Sjhockeyfan Saatva are (advertised as) luxury mattresses, good for people with bad backs, made in the USA, and well made, with a good warrentee, for less money then comparable mattresses. The site is.
    http://saatvamattress.com

Robotropolis the site looks interesting. Foam and gel are out since DH doesn't like them. I've also been putting off a new mattress for a long time, bought a foam topper, which helped a little. I'm tiered of waking up every morning with my back and legs hurting. Think I'm ordering two twin luxury firm Saatva this weekend, have a king but think the extra 5 inches will make my bedroom look better. Please let me know which matress you get.

• prairiemom61
    9 years ago

We are looking for a king, preferably one that doesn't transfer motion. We are not interested in memory foam due to the heat issues. Suggestions?

We currently have a queen on a four-poster frame and I believe the frame contributes to the motion now. We plan to take apart the four-poster and attach just the headboard and footboard to a normal king frame. There will only be a few inches difference in width since the mattress now lies within the fourposter. We will use modification plates available to attach the queen headboard and footboard.
    Has anyone else had experience with this?

• lascatx
    9 years ago

Don't just flop on a mattress. Lay on it for a while and in every position you know you sleep in. Let your body settle into it and then see if your curves are all well supported or if you sink in too deep or not enough in places. Is your spine pretty level or is it curving? A quick flop won't really tell you how well it will support you or the comfort it will give you over the hours you want to sleep. Don't be embarrassed and tell the sales person you need some time and would like to be left alone -- you'll let them know when you have some questions. If they can't do that for you, head to another store.

• Tmnca
    9 years ago

Re No fire proofing - would you want to die in a mattress fire? Many mattresses use non-toxic fire proofing for example Tempurpedic uses a nylon socking material, not chemicals in the foam. I agree fire retardant chemicals can be a health hazard but so is fire, you can be protected from both.

For mattress shopping, definitely go somewhere that allows you to lay on it for at least 20-30 minutes. Imagine you are trying to fall asleep. Don't obsess about warranty, chances are you will never be able to collect on it as you have found.

• dedtired
    9 years ago

The Saatva mattresses look interesting and I hope you report back about your experience, ilene.

I tried a latex foam mattress at Verlo and loved the way it felt. My only complaint was that the sides are not firm to use your hands when getting out of bed in the morning. The older I get, the more I need to use my hands to lift myself. There was no resistance in the latex mattress as there is in the innerspring. I would not have the courage to buy a mattress without trying it first --- but maybe!

• sundance510
    9 years ago

My husband and I just went through the misery that is buying a new mattress. At some point, they all started to feel the same. Even when you lay on it for a while, it's hard to know how you will sleep on it for hours or how you will feel when you wake up. We are young, but both have orthopedic problems. We originally bought a Stearns and Foster for $$$. I knew the very first night that we had made a mistake.... couldn't get to sleep and woke up with horrible knee and ankle pain. The stupid mattress store made us sleep on that thing for TWO WEEKS before they would allow us to exchange it. They said we had to "get used to it" and that our bodies would adjust. I dreaded going to bed.

We exchanged it for a Sealy Hybrid (foam on top and coils underneath) and love it. My husband is a hot sleeper and has had no complaints. I fall asleep quickly and stay asleep, which is an amazing thing for me. To top it off, it was about $1000 cheaper than the S&F. Sealy actually makes S&F and it's supposed to be higher end, but I don't see why.

As for shady sales practices, I got really irritated at the salesperson, who was clearly trying to make sure that we exchanged for a mattress that was the same price or higher... her first suggestion was another S&F that was $1000 more than our original purchase! When I told her that we were seriously considering the Sealy, she pretty much made an outright claim that our pains would get worse if we went with a "lesser quality" mattress. I flat out told her that I had gotten better sleep on a $200 mattress than that S&F (I used more colorful language, but I can't be held responsible... I was SO tired and cranky by then). I also told her that I don't believe in the idea that price always dictates quality or superiority. I have learned this to be especially true in the mattress industry.

I mean puh-lease.... you know all those mattresses come out of the same factory and are manufactured for peanuts compared to what you pay. Like Tib said, it's purely about profit margin for them.

• suzieque
    9 years ago

I think I first bought the Luxury Firm Saatva, then exchanged for the Plush Soft. Not positive. And I got the smaller (depth) foundation. I can't say enough about the company. My experience was great; yours may vary (I have to put in that disclaimer - haha!).

• Bunny
    9 years ago

I have needed a new mattress for too long. I used to love mine, but I'm afraid I've made permanent low spots.

I once slept on a friends Tempurpedic and I hated it. It was like sleeping on a giant Magic Eraser. I would hate anything that made hot spots. I sleep alone :( and use an electric blanket except in the summer.

I assume the box spring + flippable mattress days are gone.

How much does one have to spend to get a decent mattress? I think $1.5K is plenty for me. I'm likely going to shop at Macy's.

• MarinaGal
    9 years ago

I have to laugh because many years ago I said the same thing to my husband - it is actually harder to pick a mattress than to buy a new car! We bought a mattress a couple of years ago that I am in love with - Simmons Beautyrest Black Leighton with a firm pillow top. It is the best. I almost never wake up during the night any more.

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

"I assume the box spring + flippable mattress days are gone."

We have a custom mattress factory nearby that still makes these. When I called them recently they told me that all of their mattresses are still flippable. But for the big brand names (that mean nothing when it comes to quality) I would guess you are correct ... thing of the past.

• bonnieann925
    9 years ago

DH and I bought a new mattress a couple of years ago for our bed. We went to a local furniture store and went through their "sleep lab". Based on our body weight and sleeping habits, we ended up with a Simmons Beautyrest and love it.

Last year, when furniting our vacation house, we bought 2 queen sets, a set of twins and a sleep sofa all by going through the same process.

You have to try it out in the store. We slept around quite a bit to find the right mattresses!

• sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
    9 years ago

The worst two months in recent history...looking for a mattress....7 yrs ago, lol.
    Love, love our choice but so sleezey during the process and research...

Those that 're-cycle' and rip off the outside fabric and re-cover...yuck.
    (happens all the time)

Take the time and find what suits you. Take lots of time...
    We got lucky but have the worst mattress in our vacation home by not paying attention.

Simmons beauty rest sounds familiar....not home right now or i would check what we love.

• Ilene Perl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Suzieque thanks for the info! How old is yours? By phone it was suggested I go with luxury firm, but wonder now if they suggest that one first? I have a low profile box spring now, planned on same again. I have a king size mattress now, but want some extra room in front of our bed, we feel it will make our room look a little bigger, so plan on ordering 2 twin size.

My last mattress was top of the line, we spent 2,700 for set. After reading all I could find on Saatva and talking to them I've decided to try it....especially after hearing Suzieque said similar things that all reviews I've read have said....will order this weekend and let you know in a couple of weeks how we find it,,,,I really hope we love it!!!

• terezosa / terriks
    9 years ago

I would reconsider the twin beds idea. Twin beds are only 75" long, as opposed to a king or queen size which are 80" long. Unless you are both fairly short people.

• suzieque
    9 years ago

Hi, ilene - I hope your experience with Saatva is as good as mine has been. Yes, I ordered Luxury Firm first, because they said that's, by far, what most people buy. As mentioned, I went to the plush after trying the Lux. Firm.

Mine is 2 years old.

Suzieque

• clt3
    9 years ago

Don't automatically discount memory foam, most now have cooling gel and no longer sleep hot. Two years ago we bought a Simmons Comforpedic - stays cool and not so soft you feel like you can't get out of it. We just purchased a Tempurpedic Rhapsody because we're upgrading from a queen to a king. They had many different styles with different firmnesses. The one we purchased has a zip-off washable cover.

• joyce_6333
    9 years ago

3 years ago we purchased a Stearns and Foster "luxury" mattress ($$$). After a couple weeks it sagged so bad it was ridiculous. Fought with the store for 3 years and finally this past week they delivered a new mattress. It's basically the same mattress, so we'll see if this one holds up any better. HOWEVER, the new mattress depth is shallower by several inches, and shorter in length by a good 6". So now there is an open space between the end of the mattress and the footboard that is about 12". Looks very weird!! Not sure what to think about this. I thought all king mattresses should be the same size.

• Ilene Perl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Terricks we are not short, we both tried out twin bed which is in my daughters room, and feel we will be comfortable with a twin, and we both agree the 5 inches are needed in fron of our bed....

Joyce, they make what is called a "low profile" mattress, which sounds what you have....not as thick, but same quality. As far as the length, sounds like you got a shorter then normal mattress (the size I want),,,,call the store, and complain, hope it doesn't take you 3 years to get a replacement.

Suzique, thanks for the information....I'm looking forward to ordering my new mattress!

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    9 years ago

Last time we bought a mattress it was about 3 years ago. We have done research in the past as well, so we knew what we were looking for. I don't' care about bells and whistles over good construction and non toxic materials. We ended up ordering a custom mattress that was less expensive than the commercial mattresses out there. I would have liked to have gone with an organic mattress by another company that I was really happy with, but the cost was astronomical. So this was a viable alternative. We ordered from Gardener Mattress in Salem MA. Over 30 years ago, our family bought a lot of mattresses and this was the company we bought them from and we were always satisfied and our experience over many years were that they were an honest company. That's why we looked them up. I don't have any other connection to the company. They are just the one company that had the least toxic mattress that I could afford.

If you research the toxins that are in the usual manufacturers mattresses, you'd be amazed at what you could be breathing in all night, that you could be exposed to.

• tinker1121
    9 years ago

Susique could you please give some detail on how you found the Saatva Luxory Firm and the Plush Soft to be different. I really think I want to order one of these but leary I will make the wrong choice. I have been shopping in stores and most seem a little too firm, or a little to soft.

My Sealy is a plush and loved it for 6 years or so but has now turned to mush and hurting my back. I am a side sleeper with a herinated disk in my lower back.

Any all details would be so appreciated to help avoid a return and I am a bit nervous to order without trying it out. I need a Queen and would use on my existing split box spring which is just a wooden type without springs.

Thanks!

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

Having gone to 10 or 12 stores over the past few weekends, and tried out every mattress in every store, including latex, memory foam, gel, coil, latex-over-coil, wool, cotton, tencel, bamboo, hard, soft, and in-between, I can safely say I will never buy a mattress online! I have, however, narrowed down my preferred mattress based on comfort and reviews to a major manufacturer (Magniflex), and a local manufacturer (Euro Sleepworks). Seriously, I must have tried 50 mattresses, and I only liked two. How likely would I be to get a mattress online and find it to my liking?

• Oldbluemountainbeach.com
    9 years ago

After exploring the local stores, mattress factories, online stores, etc we ended up going with an Ultimate Dreams King Eurotop Latex Mattress sold on Amazon.

Three years of use and we love it. It has a beautiful bamboo fabric cover. The cover will completely zip off so that you can replace a mattress layer for cleaning or to exchange a layer for a softer or firmer feel.

Before your order goes through, you talk to the mattress builder (I think they are in Phoenix) and he will discuss your desired firmness so that the mattress can be properly built.

Read the reviews for a lot of positive feedback on this mattress.

It's worth a look.and the price is unbeatable.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    9 years ago

Very good resource for information regarding mattresses and what to look for.
    I am going through this process right now, I have had my current mattress for almost 20 years, it has been absolutely the most comfortable mattress ever. It is a double pillow top and we did flip it pretty regularly which I think is why it has served us so well. We watched it being made, if I still lived in the same state I would go back and get my new one.

I have found a local company that makes them to order. I recently purchased a special made mattress from them for my RV. We are very happy with it. I am definitely considering the same source for the new one for my master.

It is not an easy process and I want to be able to touch it, lay down on it, see the quality etc. I don't know if I could order online.
    But I have to do something soon! I am laying here not sleeping right now!

Here is a link that might be useful: The mattress underground

• tinker1121
    9 years ago

Thanks for the link raven.
    I only consider ordering online as what I am in finding in local stores are the same Serta, Simmons and Sealy mattresses with different names.

Spent an hour in a department store yesterday trying out Beautyrest Recharge and under impressed. Narrowed it to two and one felt just a tad firmer than the too soft one I have now and the other one afraid will be too firm.

Anyone have the Sealy (or is it serta?) Hybrid, the coil mattress with gel layers on top? There are two styles and again so hard to decide as one too firm and the other a bit soft.

It does make perfect sense that if not finding them in person, how would taking a chance ordering such a huge and major item online will be successful.

I hope we can keep this conversation going with recommendations, advice and especially experiences with those of us actively shopping.

• Oldbluemountainbeach.com
    9 years ago

If you go with the Dream Foam sold on Amazon and referred to in my earlier post and it turns out to be too firm or too soft, you can exchange the top layer for $75. That gives you the ability to go one level up or down in order to make it firmer or softer. That was a deal maker for me.

Also, if your partner desires a different firmness level, you can specify different firmness levels for each side of the mattress. Lots of flexibility with this mattress. If you want a latex mattress, this is a very good option.

If I were going with a traditional mattress, I would go with the locally made option. In my opinion, the big name mattress companies no longer make a quality product. I speak from experience.

• tinker1121
    9 years ago

I wanted to post that we have finally chosen a mattress, and after about a week, no more tossing and turning.

Like another said, I could not warrant spending over $1500 and kept going back to the Beautyrest World Class Recharge series but the plush too soft and the firm too firm. I never tried the "luxury firm pillow top" style and when I did, it was the best of both worlds. I was shying away from pillow tops but told the new ones are a solid piece of layered latex and memory foams which do not indent as much as the older shredded pillow tops did. We'll see. Got a great sale and queen set with split box for $1279 and so far so good. Has a 25 year warranty (10 full and 15 prorated for what it's worth) so confident it is quality. I did consider their Black Series but $2000 to $2800 for a queen set and also the same warranty.

I did a ton a research to read reviews on this particular style and our mattress is named "the Gwynn luxury firm pillow top" and online and at other stores name,"Phillipsburg, Alexandria, Annapolis Place or Shakespeare."

Hope this helps those who are still searching.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Ridiculous how they change the names just to manipulate the public, isn't it?

Hope you love it for years and that it lasts. Swimming with sharks when mattress shopping these days.

• tinker1121
    9 years ago

Ok, how about this! The Beautyrest is sagging in the center only after 2 weeks of use! Loved it at first but now already a very different feel from the supported part around the sides, to the area where I sleep and the downward slope to the center. I am so disappointed to have to again begin this process.

DH is having a fit saying just pick one but does not go shopping with me, read all this information and know how many choices there are.

I have to wait for a mattress inspector before I can return it. Department store salesman very nice and says I must have gotten a defective one. What are the odds?! Sheesh.

Back to square one and too afraid to order one online so need to get back out shopping but again, all stores seem to have the same mattresses and I have tried most.

The Sealy Hybrid (half coils and half latex) looks and feels pretty good but new this year so without history on it I am not sure. It has a 10 year guarantee but read a tough game to get these warranties honored.

Sundance, I see that you purchased the Sealy Hybrid in June and could you please post how it has been since then?

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Oh Tinker, how disappointing. I know you have ruled out memory foam but my Tempur-pedic Cloud Luxe is wonderful. So soft, but totally supportive. I've had it for several years now and it sleeps exactly the way it did when new. The website sleeplikethedead has so much great info. The Tempur is expensive but there are many other brands that are much more wallet friendly. I think Tempur has an in home trial period.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I think your experience is very common now, and it's infuriating. If/when I have to buy a new mattress in the future, I'll be staying away from the usual corporate/brand names. I'm very, very cynical about the way these big companies are doing business.

Instead, I'll head to Gardner Mattress. I think you're very, very lucky that the store is allowing that it "Might be defective". Take advantage, get your money back and go to somewhere like Gardner. Usually they tell you tough luck, mattresses can't be returned by law, etc.

• dedtired
    9 years ago

I probably already made this comment somewhere earlier in this thread, but do look to see if there is a Verlo store anywhere within driving distance of you. Their mattresses are the best as is their warranty. So sorry you are having this difficulty.

• deeinohio
    9 years ago

We have purchased around 5 or 6 mattresses from the Original Mattress Factory, and always go back. They are two-sided, reasonably priced, comfortable, and made locally, though they have retail stores and factories in other nearby states. I suspect they are similar to the Gardner and Verlo mentioned above.

One of the things they warn against is buying a mattress based on warranty or length of warranty, since the warranty usually only covers manufacturing defects, which are rare. When they are legitimate, the claim is prorated.

• ILoveRed
    9 years ago

Our 3K Beautyrest Black slept like a hammock within weeks. It was junk. And it was a replacement for 2K Sealy Springfree that was junk.

I gave the Beutyrest to my daughter (she can sleep on anything). I didn't even try to exercise the warranty. When you got out of the bed, you could barely see the sagging!! The bed was just awful.

We went to a strip mall type mattress store, bought an inexpensive, old fashioned, innerspring mattress and I bought a topper for it.

If it turns to carp in less than a year at least I will only be out $700. Then I will just replace it with the same.

I hate the mattress industry.

• tinker1121
    9 years ago

I have a warranty claim started by the department store and not sure what that means after only 2 1/2 weeks. She was very nice and THINK trying to save me to have to pay for a replacement or another type of mattress.

I am still within the "comfort return" window of 30 days whereby you have that time to try it out and if you want to choose another mattress it is a 10% charge plus $75 delivery.

I certainly don't want it replaced and NOT paying another cent for another one of these worthless mattresses.
    I won't settle for less than a full refund but assuming it is pending the inspection scheduled for next Wednesday.
    Is this crazy or what?

There are no small companies convenient and a two hour drive to the Rogers company, I read good things about and 70 miles to a Verlo dealer. Just seems crazy to have to go thru all of this.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    9 years ago

I did purchase my new King mattress from the same local manufacturer that made my custom rv mattress. I love this company, I was able to tell him exactly how I wanted it to feel on top and how much support and firmness for the core. I did get the individual covered separate coils for less movement and the bamboo top fabric because I sleep hot and the bamboo fabric is great for me. It has the euro top instead of the pillow top the old one had. It is just beautiful too. I really debated if I should get a latex layer in the top, ended up not getting it, but if I was doing it again it would be worth the extra money. I love my latex pillows so much I think I would like the latex layer. I absolutely did not want any type of memory foam I can't stand it.
    I do have the option to let him take it back and add the latex layer still. Another great thing about this place!
    I have recommended them to several of our friends, especially those with an rv.
    And the prices are fantastic. So far I have not had any back pain like I was having from the old one. Super comfortable and extremely supportive. I especially wanted the heavy solid foam sides which will support you sitting on the edge or pushing on it getting up and out. I am a side sleeper and I tend to sleep on the edge of the bed, it supports me completely. I could jump on my side and never move my husband's side.
    The only thing that I wish was different is how much higher this one is. Thank goodness my sheets still fit.
    I have no idea if they ship out or not but I know they deliver all around the Houston area.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

ravencajun, what's the name of the company? Also, what is "eurotop" (I know what "pillowtop" is). Good to hear about bamboo -- one of the primary reasons I keep hesitating and not pulling the trigger on a new bed is I am so afraid I will still be so hot (14 years and counting - bah!)!

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    9 years ago

The store I buy the custom mattresses through is called Express Mattress, the owners name is Kevin, super nice guy. He carries other brands including big brand names too. Small store great products awesome prices.
    I will try to remember to take pictures of the mattress it's very pretty. Actual information from the mattress :
    A&M mattress company, totally custom. I don't know anything about them other than I love the 2 mattresses I bought made by them.

Euro top is similar to a pillow top only one side however he will do double side pillow top and euro top.
    "A euro top mattress is very similar to a pillow top mattress, except that it lines up with the edge of the mattress. Rather than looking like a pillow sitting on top of a mattress, euro tops are sewn to create a flush, uniformed appearance. Like a pillow top, a euro top will provide extra padding for initial comfort as you lay down. "
    An extra layer of padding is attached directly on top of the mattress, with no gap between them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Express Mattress