SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dances_in_garden

Have some wheat germ to use up?

dances_in_garden
16 years ago

I had bought some, them prompty forgot what I wanted it for LOL. I decided to toss some into a coating for chicken strips today. You know, to use some of it.

Wow! I can't say that I exactly tasted wheat germ or that it added a huge something that wasn't there before. But in this house if I can sneak in some nutrition, then anything goes. DD ate a double helping. Normally she hates the homemade kind (but will eat her weight in deep fried chicken strips at restaurants). I think it helped coat the chicken a bit better than the panko alone.

1 cup panko bread crumbs

2 tsp butter

1/4 cup wheat germ

1/2 tsp cajun seasoning (mine is very strong, so adjust as necessary)

2 skinless boneless chicken breasts, cut into strips

1/2 cup light ranch dressing

Place the chicken pieces in a bowl with the dressing, and toss to coat. Chill.

Melt the butter in a small skillet. Add the panko crumbs and stir to coat. Keep stirring until they brown a bit and the butter smells nutty. Be careful though, they can go from white to burnt very fast.

Dump browned panko onto a plate. Add the wheat germ and cajun seasoning and toss together to mix.

Dredge the chicken strips in the coating. Note that you won't get a complete coverage and that is okay, these are lightly coated not thickly breaded. I had exactly enough mixture down to the last strip with no leftover but your mileage may vary.

Now you can bake the strips in the oven, or pan fry them. I pan fried them in a little olive oil this time, but I want to try baking them at 425 on a rack over a baking sheet next time. They are a bit crumbly to eat, granted. But very very good. The recipe made 11 strips for me, but of course it depends on how you cut your chicken.

This would be excellent for chicken cutlets to be eaten with a knife and fork!

Comments (5)