SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caliloo_gw

Count down to Derby Day!

caliloo
10 years ago

Many of you might remember that the Run for the Roses (aka The Kentucky Derby) is a big deal at my house. In keeping with tradition, we are prepping for the big day this Saturday - complete with a Hat Parade, friendly wagering, a few libations and of course, enough food for all. It is kid friendly, so I try to keep a little balance in the menu - not all is adult oriented. There are some dishes that are a "must have" and each year I try to swap a few out and a few new ones in. The menu - which is open for discussion, I will asterisk the few dishes that are "must haves" - is below. Please feel free to offer suggestions, alternatives or recipes for any of the dishes listed, I am open minded on most of it!

Thanks you again for allowing me to share this event with you - I am hosting for the 27th year (long before DH and kids) and it has become hugely important to me over the decades. Oh, and we are expecting about 60 - 70 people.

Thank you in advance for any comments, recipes, thoughts or suggestions!

Alexa

3 flavors of Hummus & pita chips, pretzels
Caprese on a toothpick
Crudite and dip in bread cups (a Martha thing - too cute)
Mexican 7 layer dip & tortilla chips
fruit tray (strawberries, grapes, pineapple, melon, blueberries, oranges)
*ABT's (jalapenos stuffed with cream cheese, wrapped in bacon, BBQ sauce and grilled)
*Waffle fries topped with roasted garlic aioli and truffle oil
Chicken Nuggets
*Mini Chicken & Waffles
Crab Rangoon in Phyllo Cups
Deviled Eggs (may do curried with mango chutney, may do plain)
*Jambalaya
Tossed Salad

Nanner Pudding
Rose Cupcakes
Ice Cream Sandwich Layered dessert thing (IC sandwiches, PB, Chocolate syrup, whipped cream, chopped peanuts)
Brownies

Soda
Juice
Water
Sweet Tea
Mint Juleps
Sangria
Pineapple Mojitos
Beer
Wine
Full bar (for anyone who doesn't like the above)
Coffee
Hot Tea

Comments (13)