SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
merrygardener_gw

Land Takeover Question

11 years ago

Big long rant warning! This question is probably most appropriate for some other forum, but I really appreciate and trust the collective minds of you decorating folks, so here it goes:

I have about an acre of land that backs up to a 72' piece of "open space" that belongs to the homeowner's association of the neighborhood behind me. The neighbor who owns the land adjacent to that (directly behind the hoa land) has taken over the property (leaving about 10' of "open space" in places and up to 50 in others) and has graded a (gravel) driveway, parks a trailer, van, backhoe, has a garden shed, compost pile, etc.. on that land. He has cleared native plants in order to accomplish the above. When I moved into the house 17 years ago, I didn't even know there was a home back there.... and as a result of us needing to remove some of our beloved second growth woods (in PNW) for a septic drainfield, we see lawn, one vehicle, etc... So, my "dream" wooded property is no longer.

I spoke with the homeowner last spring, and really tried not to be argumentative or overly aggressive, but he denied that he was a) causing any harm, b) had removed any plants and had intended to keep things as they are- that he had a right to do so since he helped to build the development back in the day. The land in question is part of an "L" shaped property, and the rest of the "L" is completely native plantings.

My plan was to approach the association's board and ask (demand?)that they uphold their "open space" (which, by the city's definition could be greenbelt, a playfield, etc... but it certainly isn't supposed to look like some property owner's back yard!) by having the land surveyed (we had ours done last year and the markers are clear... it would be easy for theirs to be done) and that they maintain theirs as it is designated, with aggressive planting of native plants- consistent with what is growing around the wiped out plot of land. This would require this homeowner to completely change his property/garden layout since his driveway is halfway on the hoa property... he'd have to take out lawn/shrubbery to access his garage.

This is so therapeutic, just writing this! My question for you: Do you think I am making a big deal out of "nothing?" Should I invite this "overt conflict" into my life? It really has bothered me for about 2 years... that festering "argggghhhh" kind of bother. I know that many people live in neighborhoods where they have full view of their neighbors... it just isn't my current desire!

Comments (13)