SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
michael_compton80

foundation question on sloping land

Michael Compton
8 years ago

I have a question on foundation and footings. I am looking at build a home on our little 40 acres of heaven. I want to do as much work as possible myself...I know there are several owner builders here and so value the input.
Here is my situation.
I live in Oklahoma. Between Tulsa and Oklahoma City. I live in a small rural county with no codes or permitting. I am on a small hill. There is rock about 18-24 inches below the dirt. The ground slopes a bit.
What I would LIKE to do is build a 30' wide by 50' long building and the long part would extend as the ground falls away. So I would say that the ground falls about 4' across the 50' length. (I will try and run a level tomorrow to verify that).
My original home plan was a pole barn, but I would need a slab AND need to dig into the rock for the poles, so that is out. lol. I wanted to do piers setting on the rock because to my simple mind, it would be easier to do myself and less costly. I am just not sure it is deep enough. I don't think there is a practical way to level the land and do a slab without an extensive retaining wall etc. So maybe that leaves a crawl space of some sort? Maybe dig down to flat and have a small percentage of the house below grade on a slab?

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert