SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kahktown

Existing foundation - negative slope - roofh2o (long, but organized)

kah
7 years ago

Answers to my questions and
testing of my proposed solution are desired. Tried to anticipate questions which is why it is a long post. :( Thanks

Issue needing to correct:

1. For about 14’
    along back side of house and 20’ along side of house, the lawn extends 2” above
    and eventually gets to about to 2” below the bottom of siding.

2. The grade is
    completely flat along back side house for 30 feet extending out from structure
    and in this area the grade is 2” above bottom of cypress vertical boards. I know I need to create a slope away from the
    house.

3. Water ponds along
    the back foundation because of roof run-off.
    I have about 950 SF of roof water coming off of one downspout. I watched the water during a heavy (1/2”
    rain), and even with 6’ downspout extender, the soil could not absorb it fast
    enough so the surface water began to pool and was drawn back towards the house
    due to low spots in the grade close to foundation.

Questions

1. See pictures – I
    assume the horizontal cement in the dug out area is the footer extending 6” out from foundation
    wall - correct? The footer is about 8” below grade (which surprises
    me, but maybe this is normal depth).

1. I had an energy
    efficiency study done, and it noted that the heat loss spots were along the
    seam where interior floor meets wall around the perimeter of the house. In the winter, the cork tile floor is
    noticeably colder along the walls, also concrete floor contracts and a few cork
    tiles become loose. Am I about to create
    more heat loss, because the foundation will be exposed to ambient temperature? If yes, what is the cure for this issue? There
    is about 6” of foundation wall above footer before cypress board starts.

2. Considering there
    is no basement, how much space is needed between soil line and cypress
    boards - is 3” sufficient?

3. If recommending 6”between
    soil and boards can positive slope from foundation be extremely steep and short,
    e.g., 3’ foot depth four feet from house and slope it upwards towards house) to
    keep rain and snow melt from foundation?
    If I am directing the roof water to a percolating area 11’ from the
    house, my “slope” needs to accommodate naturally occurring water along foundation
    - correct?

Facts

1. House was a custom
    design built in 1954 by an amateur architect (designed his homes in FL and
    Costa Rica) who was also an attorney from a prominent local family. The family came from old money; thus, house
    was not part of a slap ‘em up tract housing, and there were financial means to
    do things right.

2. Location is SE
    Penna on loamy soil that drains well.

3. House has no
    basement or crawl space; one story, 20” roof overhang.

4. Flooring
    throughout the home is cork tile (bathroom is ceramic tile) with hot water radiant
    ceiling heat.

5. Exterior of the
    house (I am told by PO – not the architect) are vertical cypress boards that PO’s
    father had covered with the horizontal aluminum siding in the 1970s. PO said his father applied creosote to the
    boards (?). The aluminum siding is still up.

6. The alum siding was
    applied so that approximately 1-2” of the cypress board extends below the alum siding in areas; however, bottom of boards were hidden behind a 6” cement skirt
    that was laid around the house. (I am
    guessing) roof tar and some fibrous material was applied to create a seal between
    cement and aluminum siding to keep out elements.

7. I have removed the
    cement skirt and dug out 6” down and 6” away to see what is going on along
    foundation and bottom of siding.

8. I know about
    calling for utilities and that water cannot be directed to neighboring property
    – there is a swale 35‘ from side of house that accommodated a recent 500 year
    rain event.

Options considered

1. Landscape
    owner/friend (30+ years hardscape/landscape design/teacher) suggested
    constructing a swale, but that is moving major amounts of soil due to flatness
    of back yard. My municipality will
    require topo survey and stormwater management plans. Local surveying company quoted $6,000 for
    both. Can’t stomach that expenditure before
    one iota of soil is moved.

2. Codes
    enforcement/builder friend (40+ years) suggested French drain that empties into
    existing swale on side of house. This will
    require trenching about 35’ to get to existing swale and crossing over underground
    elec and phone lines. I have shingle
    grit coming off of roof to help clog the French drain holes, and it will require
    pipe to take either a 90 degree turn (I have considered building it with a “clean
    out” access near turn) or trench a curved line to get to swale to lessen opportunities
    for blockage in sharp turn.

3. Co-worker said his
    neighbor who was getting water in basement erected rain barrels to catch
    downspout water and direct roof water through
    hoses from barrel to existing swale a distance from structure. I rather like this simple elegant design and
    asked co-worker to find out what occurs during winter months. My location would place barrels along south facing
    wall that get full AM sun.

4. After considering
    the above, I am settling towards directing downspout water into a yet to be created
    rain garden (percolating area) through buried PVC pipe in a 11’ trench that is
    sloped downward towards area that will connect to the downspout. The pipe will be a straight line from house (no turns, not
    run along foundation or over utilities).

Comments (3)