SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cindywhitall

Advice for hvac in 55+ community

cindywhitall
9 years ago

Parents are having a new home built in a 55+ community. It is a pretty big home for older folks, about 2250 sq ft. There are 2 bedrooms and a bath are the second floor with most of the space, including the master, on the first floor. It will have a full unfinished basement. Windows are single pane, low E.

I note the builder lists the ac as 13 Seer and I think I saw 92% for the heater. I thought I saw Energy Star info in the office, but the website is not as informative as it should be and doesn't list it. The mention "energy efficient features". The home is in Gloucester County, NJ and I believe they are using R-30 in the ceiling. I saw two attics and one had batts and the other had blown in. I don't know if either house was 100% complete, perhaps they put the blown in over top of the batts? Or maybe you get a choice? Which to choose if it's a choice?

I don't know what is required to be Energy Star certified as a new home and how a homebuyer would know if all the requirements were met. I'd like them to put something in their contract about insulation and maybe sealing around windows etc. Without going overboard (this is not a custom build--just a new home development typical here in NJ) they won't let you add all types of clauses to the contract, but may accept some.

I will call the office to check if they are certified energy star or not.

My parents are in their 70's and I'm sure their bills will still be lower than their older, larger, 15 year old hvac was. I just wanted to advise them if it would be worth it to upgrade the efficiency. I have a feeling the price would be ridiculous as most builders don't want to customize that.

What should I ask if I call for them?

Comments (19)