SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kinshasa18

Need advice on heat pump replacement

kinshasa
17 years ago

We are replacing a 17 year old heat pump. The heat pump is 3-1/2 tons and several years ago we added a room to the house so it is now 2600 square feet. It is a one story house in northern California. We have a whole house fan and in summer our night temp cools down; we use the fan and the house stays very comfortable. We almost NEVER use the air conditioning. On those 100 degree days, the AC kicks on around 5 p.m. It never works very well. We eat in our dining room which has a low ceiling and is the hottest room in the house, even though we have shade screens.

Company #1 - Goodman unit, 3-1/2 tons, 14 SEER, 11.3 EER. Suggests making another return in the opposite end of the house. This return would be much closer to the dining room.

$8188 quote.

Company #2 - They have a "house brand" heat pump. This is a national company. They measured the house and suggested 4 ton unit. No extra return installed. 14 SEER, 11.5 EER. $9262 quote.

I should add that those prices include use of a crane to remove the old heat pump and install the new one. (We have two acres and the heat pump is in the garden and fairly inaccessible any other way)

So my questions are:

Do we need a 4 ton unit? Or is 3-1/2 ton enough? I read somewhere on this forum that 700 square feet = 1 ton, so both are in the range.

How much difference will that extra register make? Specifically, in keeping that side of the house cooler. It would be in the ceiling near the laundry area, which is right around the corner from the kitchen and dining room.

Both companies are reputable. Thanks for any advice.

Comments (2)