SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ellessebee_gw

Need primer on how to find a good HVAC contractor

ellessebee
10 years ago

I have decided to contract out the HVAC myself for my new house. This means asking my general contractor to remove the sub-standard equipment his HVAC guy installed and starting all over again. I have no idea how to select a contractor or how to assess their proposals. I need some guidance - and, if there are any - indicators I should look out for in either a good one or one to stay away from. This is so far out of my realm of experience and knowledge I feel like a sitting duck - but I am in real need of A/C! The ductwork was installed and will remain although may need some modifications. The mechanicals have to be specified and installed. The contract with the GC calls for 16 SEER variable speed Carrier or Trane equipment (which is not what his guy put in). The ducts and air handlers were installed for 2 condensers, one 2 ton and 1 4 ton, the latter on 2 zones. I think we need 2-stages on the larger unit, maybe not on the smaller. From what I've read, single stage, 1-ton might be adequate for that zone. But I don't know what to look for in a good installer - they seem very hard to come by. It feels a little like trying to ask directions in a foreign country - I can ask lots of questions, but I don't understand a word they're saying! All advice appreciated!

Comments (7)