SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
toddimt

How to find good HVAC Contractor

toddimt
14 years ago

I live in NJ and have a 10 year old HVAC system. The furnace in the basement is a trane single stage 90. I have a variable speed trane A/C blower in the attic. The house is a split level home built in the late 60's. I have been remodeling room by room and improving windows, insulation, etc. I know the ducts were never sealed when this system was installed. I think when they installed the system, when I first bought the house 10 years ago, they pretty much just replaced based on size of existing furnace.

I am planning a remodel of the main level of my house that includes the kitchen. I am going to try to make this as air tight as possible. I will also be adding a gas fireplace to this level as well. I would like to know how I can go and find someone who is reputable to tell me if my current system will be oversized, after the renovation. If and changes should be made to the ductwork while the walls are open and if the current equip will suffice of pays to upgrade. I know variable speed would be preferred but not sure if it makes sense to upgrade or not. The kitchen remodel will add a high powered range hood and thus I would think makeup air with a possible ERV would be needed. I am trying to do some preplanning. I am much more educated now about these things and thus looking for some honest answers but not sure how to find someone who is reputable.

Comments (5)