SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
golddust

An 11 pound baby joined our family today.

golddust
13 years ago

It's my great niece on DH's side. Mom and baby are doing great but I'm concerned about the huge size of our new baby girl. Mom is married to my nephew who is the son of DH's brother. The couple lives close and we see them about every couple months. Sometimes more frequently.

The new Mom's *mother* (now grandmother) has severe diabetes, type 1. To the point where she is almost completely blind. The thing is, the new mom did a home birth with a mid wife. I know high weight babies can be a sign that mom could be diabetic. That said, she was 8 days over due. (Not that they had any sonograms or anything.) I know over due babies can grow quickly.

My question is this: Do mid wives generally check on things like diabetes? I've never seen anyone with more swollen legs and feet during pregnancy. I have been worried sick because the new mom is 33 yo, a first time mom and life is precious. I am not in a position to say anything because they believe in "negative energy" and putting forth concerns would come across as negative energy to them. (California alert!)

I'm hoping someone here has more knowledge than I do about the degree of care one receives with a mid-wife verses a Dr. This mid-wife is not associated with our hospital. I'd love to put my worry wart self to rest. I love these kids. They are really wonderful but I worry that they don't worry enough.

Comments (27)