SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
va6strings

Advice needed for replacement HVAC

va6strings
14 years ago

This is a great forum and I would appreciate your unbiased advice. I'm replacing a system in a late 60's, 3,400 sqft split level home (4 staggered half-levels connected with 3 short flights of enclosed stairs, very common in central VA). Current system: 1988 Carrier 150,000+ btu natural gas furnace w/ a mid-1990s Carrier 5 ton AC (indoor coil, outdoor condensor). The coolant leaked out and I've been advised to replace everything rather than leak-test & replace the coolant. The furnace short-cycles and the house doesn't reach even temps, but our gas & elec. bills are pretty reasonable for the area.

I'm getting estimates from 5 companies ranging from an owner/operator to large local operation with dozens of techs. My questions so far are:

1) Does it make sense to replace everything now? Everyone so far has said yes, based on the age and the likelihood of more leaks, but then again, I'm asking salespeople if they want to make a sale.

2) Only one company so far has said they will do a load-test before we select the exact units. Is that as important as they say, or is it hype?

3) One company looked around (no load test) and said they recommend a 4-ton unit w/ standard efficiency equip. They said the low-speed settings on high-efficiency units won't push enough air to cover our multi-levels, so we'd need to be on high speed all the time and that defeats the purpose of a high-efficiency unit. Does that make sense?

4) Several have recommended a dual-fuel furnace, w/ HP down to 40 and gas when it's colder. My experience is that HP air always feels cold. Also, it seems that a HP/AC would be running almost year-round and would not last as long as a dedicated AC.

5) Finally, two so far are Carrier reps and the other is Lennox. My thinking is that as long as I'm not buying contractor-grade, these brands, York and Trane should all last 15 years give or take. Any major red-flags on specific units?

Sorry for the long post, but THANK YOU for any insights you can share. BTW, my last estimates are in 3 days, so please reply soon...it's getting hot in here w/ no AC and I want to make a decision Monday afternoon!

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Buckeye Restoration & Remodeling Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Central Ohio's Premier Home Remodelers Since 1996