SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ontariopl

A/C Advice please - I'm clueless

ontariopl
15 years ago

I have a 13 year old Rheem A/C unit that I've never had a problem with. I have a service contract with a local HVAC company and had it serviced in April. At that time, the technician said he checked refrigerant and it was fine. I haven't used it much yet this year because it hasn't been that hot yet, but I turned it on Monday and it's been running since then. When I came home today, the house was hot and there was water leaking through the floor under where the indoor part of the unit is. I called the company I have the contract with and someone came out and said it was very low on refrigerant, which caused the coils to freeze and caused the leak. He said it would be around $500 to fill it up, but he recommended a new unit because he said 13 years is a long time for a unit and he didn't think my unit would last the summer. He said he couldn't try to find where the leak was tonight and didn't really talk about trying to find it another time. He said he thought the current unit was 10 seer.

He quoted me the following prices for Carrier units (didn't offer any other brands):

13 seer -- $4384

15 seer -- $5315

17 seer -- $6073

21 seer -- $7024

The 17 and 21 seer come with a new thermostat. These prices include everything, installation, take the old one away, etc.

My house is 3 floors, about 2500 square feet. The old unit always cooled the house very well and my electric bills were rarely over $150 even in the hottest part of the summer. I have a chow mix so I keep the house pretty cool, even when I'm not home.

My questions are: Is 13 years a normal amount of time for a unit to last? Should the technician who serviced the unit in April have found the problem with the refrigerant being low or could it have happened between then and now even if I wasn't running the unit much? Should I buy a new unit or have my current one filled? If I buy a new unit, which one do you recommend? Should I go with one of these Carriers or look at other brands?

In general, I trust the company I'm dealing with; I've had a contract with them for about 5 years, but really would like some outside advice before committing to such a big purchase. I'm also a bit concerned that this problem came up not long after I had it serviced.

Thanks in advance and sorry this was so long.

Comments (6)