SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wolfc70

F&P Aquasmart shaking

wolfc70
16 years ago

I just purchased a new F&P aquasmart WL26CW1 washer three days ago. So far I love it! My question is that no matter what I do, it shakes pretty badly when spinning. I have releveled the machine, and tried different level positions, i.e. more toward the front, back et cetera to no avail. I tried running a spin cycle with nothing in it, and it still shook, so that eliminated the problem of me loading the machine incorrectly.

On the day the machine was delivered, it sat on the truck for 10 hours in -2F weather. I let the machine thaw out for about 20 hours before use, did this damage anything?

The shaking is not consistant, it changes in frequency as it is running. Like something is trying to balance but can't. Of course my digital camera quit working last week, so no video. I suspect that the plastic ring on top of the tub (which the F&P rep said has a fluid and weights in it to help balance the tub) is damaged due to the cold weather, because the feet are staying on the floor and only the top of the machine is moving. It is bad enough that you can not easily read the display during the final spin. It is never enough to trip the out of balance sensor, but with the way it moves, I would think it should.

I checked under the machine to make sure that all packaging materials were removed, and all is ok. What else should I look at before calling for service. Any ideas would greatly be appreciated, as this is marring an otherwise pleasant experience.

I also looked on youtube at F&P videos (as well as Cabrio and Oasis) and none shake like mine.

Comments (28)

• wolfc70
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I just watched the machine with the lid open overriding the lid lock with dadoes's credit card idea. The top of the tub itself seems out of balance, as it moves wildly as speed ramps up. I do not think the out of balance sensor is working, as around a certain rpm the tub actually hits the metal side of the machine and it keeps on going up in rpm. Again any information would greatly be appreciated. Could the extreme cold have done something to the fluid in that top ring?

• dadoes
    16 years ago

I don't know what kind of fluid is in there, but 20 hrs should be long enough for it to thaw if it froze. However, if it did freeze, the balance ring may have cracked and the fluid leaked out. Do this: Grab the top of the basket with both hands at opposite sides and shake it. You should hear the fluid slosh. If not, then there's the problem. Did the store do the delivery? If *they* let it sit freezing for 10 hrs, then they're responsible and should replace the machine. If you did the pick-up/delivery, then they'll likely wash their hands of it. Unfortunately the balance ring is integral to the basket (at least it is on my IWL12), and a replacement basket is over $200.

The out-of-balance sensor is a lever that protrudes down from the control panel at the right-rear corner of the machine. The tub must physically bump the lever to trigger it. If there's enough space at top of the tub to do so, look back there with a flashlight, check if perhaps the lever is broken off. You can carefully reach back there and press the lever back, and there should be a faint click when the microswitch actuates. But I don't think the OOB sensor is your problem.

• Related Discussions

Bought the F&P set!

Q

Comments (2)
    Congratulations!! Hope you enjoy them. Glad I could help narrow down your search.
    ...See More

HE TL: Bravos or F&P Aquasmart?

Q

Comments (16)
    Thanks for all the advice, but i wound up getting the Bravos 6700. The main reason is only 1 store in my area had the Aquasmart and it was 950$. i was able to get the Bravos 6700 on sale and with 10% off coupon for 810.00$ plus free delivery. So far i feel i made a good decision. done laundry all week on the numerous cycles available on the Bravos and clothes have come out clean and almost dry, thus less time in the dryer which is what i missed when i had my Bosch Nexxt 500. Put it to a test earlier this week with a blood stain on a white sweater that had dried after my daughter had worn all day at school and it came out white as can be. i think the control are very easy to use and makes changing the preset cycles very easy to understand. I also like the fact the cycles are not long as they were on the Bosch 500- some regular loads of laundry took over hour w/o adding fab softener or bleach cycle and i used HE detergent. the cycles on the Bravos are about 45 minutes and the clothes come out clean. So, thus far, giving the Bravos a thumbs up.
    ...See More

Fisher & Paykel delay start on AquaSmart

Q

Comments (2)
    Your model apparently doesn't have delay start. I don't find mention of it on F&P's web site description for that model, or in the instruction manual. If there's a delay start, the control panel should have a button for it. The LCD AquaSmart model does list delay start.
    ...See More

F&P TL for 2nd floor laundry?

Q

Comments (1)
    I have been the proud owner of a F&P Ecosmart WA37TG1 for a week. So far, it has been great. I purchased it at Lowe's, got 10% off, 12 months to pay, and free delivery for $540. We have it on our second floor near the bedrooms. Noise is not a problem. It is quieter than the older Kitchen Aid it replaced. It gets a little loud during the spin at the end, but that is not for long and it is no louder than any other washer. I did lots of research before I bought this and I could not find anything in the price range that was a high efficiency top loader. There are other HE top loaders, including a GE, but they are hundreds of dollars more and I don't know if they are any better.
    ...See More
  • wolfc70
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Dadoes thanks for the reply. That ring was definitely frozen, as there was frost on it. It sloshes when moved and nothing is leaking. The store did the set up and delivery, but because it was on the truck all day, never test ran the machine. Looks like I will be making a call...

• dadoes
    16 years ago

It hadn't occurred to me when doing the reply above that since there's room in the balance ring for the fluid to slosh, there should be ample room for it to expand without cracking the ring if it freezes.

Another possibility is if the bias spring that connects from the front-left suspension strut across to the tub ring has broken or come loose. That'd be unusual, but might could occur if the machine was grossly/roughly handled during transport AFTER the packing supports were removed. The spring functions to limit oscillation of the tub during agitation, and has less effect during spin, so I doubt it's the problem.

It's also possible that there's nothing wrong with the machine, but rather that the weight isn't quite evenly supported on all four corners. Check it this way: set the machine spinning, maybe with a couple dry towels bunched together to help increase the vibration. With it spinning, feel at each front corner for which one has the most degree of vibration. Adjust the leveling leg at that corner a tiny bit at a time until the vibration is minimized.

• wolfc70
    Original Author
    16 years ago

After having looked at the feet when spinning, I think that it is sitting firmly on all 4 feet. I compared it to the you tube videos more closely. I think that the shaft that the tub attaches to is bent, as it wobbles noticeably when it first starts spinning. And the out of balance sensor arm is broken, so I think this machine was loaded on the truck with the packaging removed, or was handled roughly. I placed a call for service, so hopefully it is resolved quickly, as i love this washer.

• kcred
    16 years ago

Hi wolfc70,
    First, my condolences. The machine is a bit pricey and to have it delivered/setup in that condition must leave a sour taste in your mouth. I have heard F&P customer service is very good, so it should be no trouble to get it replaced.
    Second, thanks for posting on your experience with this machine. It is the one I'm looking to buy. It seems like the washplate has a high enough profile to agitate the clothes and get them clean. I was wondering about that aspect of the design. When you get your current washer replaced with an unbroken one, please post again on how much you like/dislike it. Good luck!
    kcred

• wolfc70
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Kcred, I love the washer, just not the spin cycle right now. I have no doubts that I will be taken care of, as the store seemed really concerned.

As for cleaning, the machine works excellent. The old Maytag I replaced (with suds saver!) was trouble free for 16 years. But was giving warning signs that the transmission was going, as in oil on floor and occasional grinding noises when going in to a spin.
    The Aquasmart cleans even better. While I have not used it alot, the half dozen loads or so came out great. Just remember that it is totally different than a traditional TL. The clothes have no smell of detergent after a cycle, so it rinses well. I chose the Aquasmart due to the fact a FL won't fit in my small laundry closet, and the Cabrio/Oasis models were too big (wide) to fit also. The washplate seems to agitate the clothes fine, granted that with a HE wash, there is not much water so the clothes move around slower than in a traditional TL, hence the longer agitation times. The machine is really gentle on clothes, especially the handwash cycle. If you choose not to do a HE wash and do a deep fill, the clothes move around more normally.

I would recommend the machine to anyone who wants a HE top loader. Some people coming from a traditional TL may not think it cleans well, due to their use of too little soap. I am currently using up my non HE All, and use the same amount I used too use, with no sudsing problems.

If you are considering the Aquasmart, then it probably is the one for you. I really liked the Ecosmart (GWL15) model too, and I feel it has great bang for the buck. I would not hesitate to buy a F&P product.

• kcred
    16 years ago

Thanks again, wolfc70,
    I really think I'm making the right choice by going with this W/D combo. Don't have the room for a FL set, but I do want clean clothes and a small environmental footprint. So it's good to hear from someone who actually has the machine I want.
    Let us know how your washer troubles are taken care of. Hopefully your next delivery will be on a warmer day with professionals instead of goons in charge of the delivery.
    kcred

• wolfc70
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Update! The repair guy came and looked at the machine and is going to replace the tub. He thinks that the balance ring is defective. So the parts are going to be in about 3 days or so. Overall I was impressed with the service guy, very knowledgeable. He liked the F&P machines, very few problems with them, and easy to fix. He said he is currently undergoing training for the refrigerators, and said he was impressed with their design. So all in all I still have no regrets with the purchase and would recommend the Aquasmart to anyone.

• wildboar
    16 years ago

Should the Aquasmart have any vibration at all while spinning @ 1000rpm? Mine has always had some vibration, even while spinning empty. It sounds similar to your problem, a consistent wobble that gets faster and faster as the speed increases to the point that the whole machine is shaking, but not walking and the feet are firmly planted.

• wolfc70
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The machine should be fairly stable during spin. The one on the floor at the appliance store was smooth during spin. I mean it shook a little, but not enough to worry about. F&P says that the clearance on both sides is one inch, mine shook so bad, that it was three inches from the wall and still hit it. I will let you know once mine is fixed.

• kcred
    16 years ago

Hi again wolfc70,
    Yes, please let us know once the washer is fixed. Also, if it's not too much trouble, let us know how F&P customer service were to deal with. Hopefully they are as good as I have heard! Thanks,
    kcred

• maduce
    16 years ago

I am considering an F&P AquaSmart, but there seems to be two models on the market with different specs: WL26CW1 (as in this thread) and WL26CW2 (the latter appears on the F&P website). I am trying to get F&P to advise the difference. Anyone know this?

• wolfc70
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The wl26cw2 has no softener dispenser, instead it has a bleach dispenser. The wl26cw2 is fairly new, so the stores most likely have the wl26cw1 in stock. I never noticed any other difference.

• missouri_bill
    16 years ago

According to an ENERGY STAR list I found on the web, the WL26CW1 came out in 4/10/07 and was apparently replaced by the WL26CW2 on 9/11/07. Aside from the dispenser, the CW2 has slightly better energy efficiency (199 kWh vs 211) and slightly better water efficiency too (5.8 vs. 6.0), which suggests some re-programing of cycles.

The FP brochure - which your dealer should have - shows two Aquasmart models, the WL26CW2 with sensor touch controls and an LCD screen and the WL37T26DW1 with soft touch controls and LED screen. Basically, with the former you select a cycle on a screen and with the latter you just choose a button. Also, the former has 39 cycles, the latter 10 cycles. And the former has more delay start options. I think the latter is for people who don't like navigating a menu.

• kcred
    16 years ago

Hi MO Bill,
    Thanks for the added info on the Aquasmart washer! I don't know when I'll be getting mine. The WL26CW1 is still the only model the local retailer has in stock, and with everyone buying FLs these days, who knows how long it'll take to clear their inventory. I'm tempted to buy the Aerosmart dryer now and then get the washer when it becomes available. We'll see, but thanks again!
    kcred

• wolfc70
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I looked at the owners manual online, and one other difference is that the wl26cw2 has a high efficiency option for whites, while the wl26cw1 does not.

Kcred, just get one, I think you will enjoy using the machine. Coming from a traditional TL to this is like a revelation, clean clothes that are not beat to death. Granted if you are coming from a FL, you may not be all that impressed. Besides, the energy star rebate (at least here in WI) expires March 31, 2008 and is worth $125.00.

• justjames01
    16 years ago

Hi wolfc70,

Any update on the shaking issue with your Aquasmart? I've had mine for two weeks and am also having issues with shaking. The machine does not walk during the spin, but does shake enough that the back of the washer reverberates making a loud noise. I scheduled a service appointment for next Monday. Hopefully they can resolve the issue since I really like the machine.

James

• wolfc70
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I am still waiting for the part. Since this washer is relatively new, and not many tubs are replaced, they have to pull the part from the production line.
    Yeah, mine did not walk, but shook enough that the panels rattled. Mine was the same with clothes or running empty. I made a latch lock from a piece of plastic and watched the spin cycle. One side of the tub definitely weighs more as it wobbles noticeably during spin up, then starts shaking as rpm's go go up.

• wolfc70
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Update! Found out about the delay, apparently the service guy transposed some numbers on the part order form. Got it all sorted out now, F&P say it will ship this week. The service guy sheepishly apologized for the error, and F&P service (800 number listed on website) is top notch, very friendly.

Some observations about this machine, in case you are considering one.
    Do not treat this as a traditional TL, just drop clothes in, avoiding covering the wash plate completely. You can have clothing resting on the out skirts of the plate, but do not lay clothes or items directly over it. If the wash plate is covered, it takes a while to agitate the clothes and causes them to knot up.
    Pick a decent detergent, I use All small and mighty HE. I use a 1/3 cap for normal loads and about 2/3 cap for large or heavily soiled loads. The All seems to work great, and is affordable.
    Do not be discouraged by the limited number of HE cycles, remember this is not a traditional TL. The non HE cycles fill like the Ecosmart and IntuitiveEco models. So a small load is about 1/4 full, so it is still more efficient than a traditional TL, and is much gentler.
    I will post again once the machine is fixed.

• kcred
    16 years ago

Thanks for the update, wolfc70. I too have called the F&P 800 number and been treated very nicely. Good customer service these days means a lot to me. Bad luck on the transposed numbers.
    The washer doesn't sound too difficult to get used to for the sake of clean clothes. Please keep us informed on your progress.
    kcred

• kcred
    16 years ago

I sure hope you have the F&P back up and running, wolfc70. Any new to report? Thanks, kcred

• wolfc70
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The inner tub and balance ring were replaced. The shaking is better but not what it should be yet. Now the tech guy thinks the shaft may be bent, as there still is a visible wobble. F&P customer care called to talk about possibly replacing the machine, as this one was probably severely mishandled. They are supposed to give a final answer tomorrow. All I can say is that they really stand behind their products and are very friendly.
    Fingers crossed!

• kcred
    16 years ago

Imagine that! Customer Care calling the customer instead of the other way around (Your call is very important to us...).
    Good luck to you and keep us posted if possible.
    kcred

• wolfc70
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Another update.

F&P called today to confirm replacment of the washer. They asked for the number of the place I purchased it. When the appliance place calls to schedule the exchange, I am going to see if I can get it delivered in the box. That way I can ensure all packing materials are in place.

Do you think the applance store will allow me to do that?

Overall I am very impressed with the way F&P treats their customers. I hold the repair place responsible for most of the delay as they are the ones who got the order numbers and part numbers wrong. I still would recomend F&P to anyone considering a TL washer.

• dadoes
    16 years ago

I ran across an AquaSmart at Lowe's recently, connected to power. I ran it on spin and it was very quiet and smooth with the hoses and literature bag inside. At least, I assume it spun, as I didn't have anything with which to trick the lid lock to watch it. I don't think it was in demo-mode, as it shouldn't have accepted the Start button and locked the lid if it was.

• wolfc70
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, it has been awhile, but since this ordeal has been resolved, I should post an update.

After dealing with F&P, they decided to just replace the machine, much to my surprise. F&P was very pleasant to deal with, and believe in their products. The new machine resolved all of the shaking issues. I am extremely happy with this product, and still recommend F&P washers to anyone who does not want a FL machine or a traditional TL machine.

Justin

• fahrenheit_451
    16 years ago

F&P was very pleasant to deal with, and believe in their products.In all my dealings with Fisher & Paykel they were always eager to assist; the same goes for any matters with have our DCS barbeque as Fisher & Paykel purchased DCS.