SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jdjeff58

Adding Central Air (Trane Quote)

jdjeff58
15 years ago

Please bear with me as I have NO idea what I'm talking about. I want to add central air to my gas forced air heated home. I live in SE PA (near Philly) in a single ranch style home. My sq. footage is approx 1000 Main level and I have a 2/3 finished basement. I had a new gas furnace put in 5 yrs ago. It's a York Z158MVP080-F-15114 with a variable speed motor/fan. Thermostat wiring was put in place for future central air. The house was built in the '50's. I also had my windows replaced with thermal sash double pane (100 times better than original).

I have been balking at adding central air mostly because of the cost. I've had 2 estimates...actually 3. The first estimate was at the time the heater was installed. The price has really gone up since then I see. Another estimate was by the same installer by phone who had all my data from the heater install. The most recent estimate was from a HD Trane contractor.

The HD contractor is Haller from Lancaster and he spent about an hour here sizing things up. Here's what he came up with:

Trane XR13 Condenser - 2TTR3018A1000A

Trane Cased Coil - 2TXCB025BC3HCA

XR 13-1-5 - Lineset 5/8 x 1/4 RETKIT?

10 ft. Romex

19 1/8 x 19 3/8 for Trane coils

1 Half Sheet

Condenser Pad

Snow Legs

AC3 - Coil and outdor unit level w/furnace HMP160

$3606.70

I got all this info from the estimate. The reason I checked with Home Depot was because I thought my original heater contractor was kind of high. They were talking about installing a York. This price seems to come into line with my original contractor. Please keep in mind that the original contractor quoted me from the phone I guess with all the data they gathered from the heater install.

I've been using window units since I lived in this house. I seem to get by fairly cheap with my electric bills in the summer. I run the furnace fan and the house cools pretty nicely. I despise wrestling with the two window units. I'm just having a hard time bringing myself around to forking out this kind of cash. But if I decide on upgrading to central air, I was just wondering if this estimate along with the equipment is a decent price. The guy that came out did some kind of analysis with a laptop. Not sure if it was a manual J thing or not. I guess I just need some help deciding if this is the way I should go or not. Any help would be appreciated.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!