SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fiziksgeek

New Central Air Install quote

Fiziksgeek
11 years ago

Hello all, I want to get some opinion on a new central air quote I received.

Background:

Traditional 4 bed 2.5 bath colonial in CT, oil boiler/radiant baseboard heat. No ducts. First floor is ~1300 sqft, second floor is ~900 sqft.

Quote was a little weird, just a paragraph, no itemized lists. Here is what is said:

Furnish and install a Trane 4 ton central air conditioning of the following equipment. Trane condenser model 4ttb3048, Trane air handler with cooling coil located in attic, refrigerant lines, condenser pad, gutter piping, honeywell cooling thermostat, drain pan, and necessary electrical connections. A total of 10 insulated supply outlet will be installed along with a central return. System will be started up and recharged with R-410 refrigerant. Condenser and air handler will have a 10 year manufacturer warranty, and labor and materials furnished by installer will be waranteed for 1 year.

Price $12,200

I am not convinced the guy did a model J calculation. He did make a drawing with rough sizes of the various rooms and recommended location of outlets. When done, he paced offed the outside of the house to get the overall dimensions and counted windows/doors.

We had been talking about an XR15 during his visit, but looks like he quoted me an XB13, the lowest model Trane makes. The quote does not call out the air handler model or thermostat model

Only 1 price is listed, no itemized price list. Is this typical?

Based on his visit, the 10 supply outlets would be 6" duct lines run off a central line int eh attic into the upper rooms and down through closets and be broken down like this:

2-master bed

3- 1 each in 3 smaller upstairs bedrooms.

2-living room

2-kitchen/breakfast room

1-dining

A single large return in above the stairs.

Downstairs is fairly open 3-4ft wide openings between rooms (no doors), but upstairs, the bedroom doors are often closed, will they cool effectively without a return in each bedroom?

Bathrooms aren't huge, but should they have outlets as well?

In addition, the family room is on the end of the house, and the location of closets would at most only allow 1 inlet to this room, so he recommended a minispit. Its ~16x20 with vaulted ceiling, large picture window on one side, sliding glass door on the other side. He didn't quote this for me, but I would suspect it will be ~$3500-4500 extra installed.

Part of me just says walk away from this company, part of me says go ask questions and see if they can clear things up.

We currently have 6 window ACs, one in each bedroom, and two down stairs. The family room is the only issue, we can't put a window AC in there, so we put in the next room and keep a fan blowing on high to push air around.

Is a low end central air system still better than multiple window units? I think out biggest issue is the noise of all the units running and yearly install and uninstall/storage. Humidity control could be a bit better I think, but don't know if I would expect it to be significantly better with a central system.

Any advice is welcome!

Comments (10)