SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynninnewmexico

I Don't Want More 'Stuff'! Ever Feel This Way???

lynninnewmexico
12 years ago

I'm about 1/10 of the way through my annual Fall cleaning and I am so frustrated with myself! There is just too much "stuff" around here and I'm tired of spending so much time trying to figure out where to move it to and/or reorganizing it!

I think what precipitated this rant (LOL!) is that DD asked me this afternoon what I wanted for Christmas.

Eeeeeeeek . . . what I want is less stuff! I'm tired of dealing with (what I perceive to be) clutter!

But, please know that I'm not a hoarder and this place does not come across as cluttered to most people. But, most homes in this area of New Mexico don't have attics or basements, so stowing it away there is not an option.

I'm not totally overwhelmed and without ideas, though.

We donate all our unused furniture, unwanted books, dvds, cds and outgrown good clothes to charities.

I drop my newly read magazines off in the high school staff lounge.

Two years ago, I'd finally had enough and talked our close friends into stopping our Christmas gift exchanging. It had gotten out of hand and we were buying each person 4 gifts! To me, it seemed like just a lot of good money going to buy more stuff that I had to find places for. Does that sound mean-spirited? Happily, they went for it and now we just get together for a celebratory meal at Christmas. That was a great first start!

I've talked with my two bestfriends and starting in January 2012, we're eliminating birthday gifts in lieu of just a nice birthday lunch out together instead. One more positive change!

This past year I told DH & DD I wanted no b'day gifts except a round-trip ticket to Florida to spend some one-on-one time with my parents. That was the best!

I have no desire to cut off our 17 y/o DD, but I will definitely talk with her and DH about this Christmas. I do NOT want any more things to add clutter to my life or this house! A good book or a needed piece of clothing is one thing, but stuff, however beautiful or expensive, just to give it is another. I have enough of pretty much everything!

I'm sorry about this looooong post/rant, but I'm just wondering if anybody else out there is at that place in your life when you feel that you just have too much stuff? Am I starting my mid-life crisis (said only half-jokingly)?

How do you deal with it?

Lynn, who still has 9/10 of her Fall house cleaning to finish and lots of "stuff" to get rid of!

Comments (38)

• blfenton
    12 years ago

I'm with you on that rant. Last year we moved out of our house for a reno and the purging of stuff that I did was unbelievable! I got rid of so much "stuff" both when we moved out and when we moved back in. We put most of our stuff in storage because we were moving into a furnished place and I didn't miss any of our "stuff" which is why, when we moved back in I got rid of even more.

And now for Christmas and Birthdays we give cash to the kids instead of more "stuff" (they're 22 and 24 and they prefer cash anyway) and Dh and I only give each other specific needed things. My sisters, girlfriends and I are also down to the nice meal idea for birthdays.

There was just so much clutter in the house and no more.

Some stuff I kept because I figure I "should" - you know the stuff that your mom gave you, or that family keepsake. But who am I kidding - when I die or go into the home - my kids will be throwing it away. (or hopefully giving it to one of their aunts)

• natal
    12 years ago

On the same page. When we packed up the garage, kitchen, and spare bedroom for the remodel/addition I purged tons of stuff. And like Blfenton, a lot of what sat in storage for a year quickly became expendable.

I refuse to start accumulating again. We've stopped all gift exchanges with the exception of dh's 3 brothers/wives ... and I make that gift-giving easy on myself by duplicating it for all of them. I'd love to stop it completely, but such is life.

• Related Discussions

Sometimes I Just Don't Feel Like It

Q

Comments (11)
    It was gorgeous out there the last three days and of course I did not do any of the stuff I really need to do. I BADLY need to cut down weed trees & paint with ground kill, spray neighbors kudzu (I help her with it, she can't manage anymore), and weed wack like the dickens. My back yard is a DISGRACE since we have not been able to re-do it yet, and I've left it. Now it's weed seeding everywhere. My friend came to take care of part of it, and he hasn't come back to finish up. I need his big tools to knock down the 8' poke weeds so I can spray inside their hollow stems (I HATE pokeweeds). The old waterway is completely filled with grasses and weeds. I need to get cracking (but we had such fun during the weekend, I just kept having fun....)
    ...See More

Now I know why I don't feel like quilting!

Q

Comments (12)
    About a week and a half ago I shoved every bit of sewing detritus to the back end of my huge cutting table and brought out the wrapping paper. This was fine while I was wrapping gifts. Then the DH and the DS went into my studio to wrap gifts. I may never see the table again, LOL. Paper scraps, ribbon bits, tape on the cutting mat, and where the heck did they hide by 6 1/2 square ruler??!! I must find that before I hit it with the rotary cutter. I usually use the day after Christmas as a day to sort and play with new fabrics (DH bought me (5) 1/2 yard cuts and a 2 yard cut of gorgeous fabrics this year - he knows the way to my heart), but it will have to wait this year. I love taking this time of the year to sort and organize. BUT - my son has a new girlfriend. She's gone for the holiday, of course (they are seniors at UT Austin), but she will be back on Monday. He wants decorated cookies to take to her. I have plenty of gingerbread cookies baked (I give them to the neighbors), but he was serious - he wants to decorate them himself, because Krisztina doesn't believe that he can. He's really quite good at it. So I'm going to be up to my ears in royal icing in several colors - I mix, he decorates, LOL. Here are some he did last Valentine's Day (for a former girlfriend).
    ...See More

I'm 50 and I don't feel 25!

Q

Comments (65)
    I turned 60 a few weeks ago. I can't believe I'm even typing that! It was nothing for me turning 50. But 60 is just shocking to me. I'm grateful to be in good overall health. I've never been a gym-goer or a strict dieter, but I've always been active, eaten well, maintained my weight, drink little, used sunscreen, etc. I keep up with everyone in the family whether it's hiking a mountain, doing heavy yard work, housework, kayaking, swimming, ice skating. I don't think my grandkids ever consider that I might be too old to join in any activity. So strange, as I never saw my own grandmother in a bathing suit and can't remember any of the grandparents even going for a long walk. My DH is even more athletic than I am - but he's only 59 ;) He still plays ice hockey once a week on a men's league with my 37 yr. old SIL. The only real issue I have with aging is my eyes. Why did I never appreciate perfect vision?! I didn't need reading glasses till into my 50's. Then 3 yrs. ago I needed help for distance, too. Thought I solved things by getting Progressive contacts, but my eyes became sensitive to them so I can only wear them for several hours at a time. I'm supposed to do eye scrubs morning & night followed by hot compresses. All this to just see clearly and comfortably. Boo. I know that if that's my only complaint I am one lucky person. My biggest fear is Alzheimer's. My Mom was afflicted beginning in her late '70's. She was otherwise healthy and active. Took no meds other than a multivitamin. I was her primary caregiver for the 3 yrs. before she passed. It was hell on earth for her in her moments of lucidity to realize she was losing her mind. She'd been a (wonderful) nurse for 40 yrs. and at one time worked with geropsych patients. Toward the end she did not recognize I was there and would cry, pointing to my picture saying, "She never comes anymore". It was heartbreaking. If I let myself dwell on it, I am terrified it might happen to me. So I try to focus on the present and do the best I can to stay mentally & physically healthy.
    ...See More

A feel good story you don't want to miss

Q

Comments (8)
    Dee, now I understand the Tweet reference. for anyone else who did not see the rabbit story: https://www.mediaite.com/online/watch-california-man-becomes-internet-hero-by-saving-rabbit-from-raging-wildfires/ I truly believe most people are good. It has been hard to see that lately. Personally, it really does me good to see these stories. I have been watching way too much news and it is taking a toll. ETA: Before someone else says it, I am aware that some have scoffed at this rabbit video because it is unwise behavior and can put others in danger, slow down evacuation etc etc. I don't care to argue that. It is touching that this person so empathizes with the rabbit.
    ...See More
  • nancybee_2010
    12 years ago

We have, over the past couple of years, purged a huge amount of stuff (well, not really huge- we're not hoarders) from our house and have finally gotten our kids to remove a lot of their stuff. I now have several empty drawers and cupboards, don't have a basement and nothing in the attic. I used to dread Christmas because it added so much to the stuff. Not anymore.

I get a ridiculous amount of pleasure from getting rid of stuff! And I still have a big box of sentimental mementos for each child- schoolwork, stuffed animals, clothes, etc that I would never be able to get rid of. Don't need whole rooms full of it. And I always keep a box going for the salvation army.

• deeinohio
    12 years ago

I do think one feels more like this in the middle of their life, so yes, in that way, it's a mid-life crisis. (I also think the economy makes those of us who are blessed, and know it, feel just a little guilty.) I'm in my 50s and feel like that.

I'm preparing to craigslist a bunch of stuff I keep because I love, but truly have no need. We have a basement the same size as our house so storage is no problem. It just feels so constricting. My drug of choice is furniture, so when it comes to holidays, I usually ask for personal items, such as jewelry, which I don't spend money on the rest of the time. I also walk away from every home accessory which catches my eye when out browsing, something I didn't do in the past.

Just as an example, I have a grandfather clock and an antique settee and a Henredon side chair in the guest room because I have no room anywhere else in the house. And, we just sold our weekend home so I have a whole bunch of THAT stuff to get rid of. I sold all the log beds and the outdoor furniture with the house just so I didn't have to deal with it.

And, as morbid as this sounds, I look around my parent's home, who are 86 and 91, and think, "What are we going to do with all this stuff?" It's painful to think of getting rid of things my parents have had for 65 years. Maybe that same feeling is translating to my own home so my kids don't also have to deal with a mountain of stuff when our "time" comes.

Years ago, my elderly neighbor died and two days later a "Got Junk" truck was parked in their driveway. I threatened my kids then to never do the same or I'd haunt them!
    Dee

• Sueb20
    12 years ago

Very timely, as I put out about 6 large trash bags, 2 boxes, and some small furniture items for the VVA pickup today! I felt so... liberated when I saw the truck pull away with all my discards!

• lucillle
    12 years ago

I just moved to a miniscule house. There's a big room upstairs (the attic was turned into a large bedroom) for the kids to stay when they visit and stash their stuff if they want, but the downstairs is about 750 sq feet. I have thrown away, donated, etc. and it is wonderful to just have a manageable amount of stuff.
    Great thread!

• awm03
    12 years ago

Funny, I was out to dinner with some friends last night, and this is what we talked about. Not only does the stuff seem like mere clutter now, but mainly, we no longer have the mental energy to keep track of it. We're at that age where our kids are moving out of the house, some temporarily, some permanently. The kids still want to cling to things from their youth, but store them at Mom's house. We're wanting to purge & simplify, to move on to other things besides micro-organizing our families' stuff.

• User
    12 years ago

We did a major purge 9 yrs ago when we moved to this house. Then again when we remodeled the kitchen and our MBR and bath 6 yrs ago. I have empty drawers and cupboards in the kitchen and sunroom. We only have 2 closets in the whole house !! Ours and the other downstairs bedroom. That one is empty except for the camping gear and my racing bike..it has to be in doors.

We have gotten rid of so much stuff and yet...I don't know what will happen to the art work and the Persian rugs, the turned wooden bowls...the great-grands china and silver... and the thousands of old family pics. I have only to think of the "junk truck" and believe you me I lose all desire to get anything else. DH thinks I am surely being morbid...I am only 60...hopefully have 3 decades left..if genes hold true. But I don't want to burden anyone with all this stuff. I already know no one wants it.

I am going to be wrapped in my running shirts and my shawls...in the end it is all I can take with me. c

• Oakley
    12 years ago

There must be something in the air today. Maybe it's the cool, crisp air of Fall? I love these 50 degree nights!

This afternoon I cleaned out the big closet in the LR. It's all shelving, no coats or anything.

However, I only threw away a tiny bit. WhatI mostly did was organize and put some items in certain rooms for storage.

Dee, your feelings are normal at this age. When my MIL died back in January, we were overwhelmed with the "junk" she had accumulated over the years! We donated a lot to GW. It was a long headache, that's for sure.

I'm good at chunking things or giving them away to friends and family to make room for more junk. lol

I do have to comment on one thing though. It saddens me that you and Natal want to stop the gift giving and receiving. :( I love doing it, and it's part of the meaning of Christmas. I love wrapping presents by the fire on a cold winter's day! And it's fun finding the right gifts for the recipients personality and the color of their home decor.

Natal, when you say you buy duplicates to "make it easier" for yourself, maybe it's time to stop giving? I wouldn't want a gift if I knew it was an unjoyable task from the gift giver. It would really hurt my feelings knowing someone didn't want to do that for me. Now if it's finances that's another story altogether which everyone understands.

But I do love accumalating junk. Today when I was sorting things I got tickled to find something I forgotten about. It was like going shopping for free!

While cleaning out the kitchen and DR linen drawer today I found a table runner I bought for last Winter and I had completely forgotten about. Another little happy dance!

Whew! I didn't mean to write a thesis! lol.

• dedtired
    12 years ago

Oh boy, do I hear you. I have lived in the same house for 37 years and haven't had the opportunity to purge like those who move every so often. My house is small but it does have a basement, attic and garage. Those three spaces and my walk-in closet are full of "stuff." I had insulation blown into the attic last year and had them leave a small space for storage, but there is still plenty of stuff from the attic sitting in one of the bedrooms.

My son and his girlfriend are coming to visit in December, so that will motivate me to clear out that room.

The stuff I find hard to deal with is the sentimental stuff. I did get rid of a few things and I took a picture before tossing them. One was a baby blanket knitted by my late SIL that was now full of holes. It had no earthly use.

Even when I do get rid of stuff, the space seems to fill up again. My one son in particular seems to think that any empty space is a good spot to store his stuff!

I also have to deal with my mother's enormous house one day and I hyperventilate to think of it.

• natal
    12 years ago

Oakley, feel sad all you like. It's just more meaningless stuff. I know you have a Christmas thread running right now. You get into that sort of thing ... I don't. I'd rather enjoy the season without the unnecessary gift-giving obligations. IMO, gift-giving/exchanging has nothing to do with the true meaning of Christmas. I'd also rather receive a personal photo card than a mass-produced Currier & Ives print. To each his own.

• stinky-gardener
    12 years ago

Yes, as Trailrunner wisely noted...we can't take it with us!

I've been "doing the purge" since my early 30's and I'm 48 almost 49 now. Do many of the things mentioned here, especially regular donations of clothes, books, furniture, kitchen items, etc. Have even in my life dontated three well-running cars (a Honda, a Subaru and a Nissan) and gave a beautiful antique piano to a soup kitchen.

It's easy for me to give stuff away. I've used it, enjoyed it, paid for it, so here, you can have it now! Can't stand clutter, so my "giving" is really self-serving rather than than generous!

As far as Christmas, I am so scroogy that I'm sure I make Natal look like Santa Claus. This sounds awful to many I'm sure (Oakley close your eyes!) but with every passing year for over a decade, my Christmas "Spirit" has dwindled more. I'm at the point where I just wish it didn't have to happen. I so want to tell my family that I don't want to participate in our (admittedly scaled down) gift exchange. I'd love to just visit, look at people's trees (though I don't put one up myself) and leave it at that. We shall see if I get brave enough to announce that I am not drawing a name this year!

The way it works is each "adult" draws and name and gives a gift to another adult. Each adult is also expected to give a gift to each "child" (all in their 30's) and the child's spouse/significant other/their offspring.

It's a sticky situation. I don't want to cause a stir or hurt feelings.

Anyway, this thread shows me that maybe there are more of us who feel this way than I realized!

• tinam61
    12 years ago

I completely understand Lynn. My side of the family stopped Christmas gifts years ago. None of us really "needed" anything. It wasn't fun anymore trying to come up with something just so you could give a gift. We stared adopting a family, or adopting a couple of kids and buying for someone who wouldn't be receiving gifts otherwise. To me, that's the meaning of Christmas. We've also contributed to charities, etc. in lieu of gifts. To me, the meaning of Christmas is not about gifts, it's about family and friends, and for me personally, the religious meaning of Christmas. I would rather enjoy the company of family and friends, a good meal, etc. than gifts. And really, I am like you Lynn, most of the time if you ask me something I want or need - I can't think of anything. Hubby and I always still do something for each other - maybe gifts, maybe something for the house, maybe a little get-away trip, etc. And is is fun to spoil each other. I've also started doing something special for my dad during the Christmas season, since he's on his own now, but it doesn't have to be a gift.

Oh and about gift giving for friends, etc. I do pretty much the same as Lynn. Except for one very close friend (from over 30 years), I don't exchange Christmas gifts with friends. We get together for a meal, an outing of some sort, etc. and celebrate. Our close couple friends, we will usually have them over for a nice meal, maybe go to one of the Christmas festivities, etc. What few gifts I do give are given alot of thought and have meaning for the recipient, not just another piece of " where do I put this"? LOL or another perfume or lotion, etc.

tina

• kitchenkelly
    12 years ago

I just completed a huge purge of stuff from my basement, garage and closets. It feels so great! I will never accumulate so much again. Even though I donated the majority of my stuff, I know that alot of it ends up in landfills and that bothers me. Sometimes I didn't rid myself of things (especially clothes) because I would have to admit that it was a waste of money. (For some reason the fact that it was still in the house meant that it was in use.)

As far as Christmas, I think it is such a materialistic holiday. People just giving others stuff the majority of the time. How many coffee mugs, sweaters and smelly bath beads does one need? Give me a good Thanksgiving meal or a 4th of July picnic where presents are not required. Those are the good holidays!

• teacats
    12 years ago

We run a small resale shop on ebay so it is so hard to keep the garage and parts of the house used for basic working storage under control ..... sigh. Some items sit around for months because they are in the online shop .... sigh.

Just finished yet another cleanup. Very hard -- I have no problem getting rid of items but DH is a "keeper" as well as a seller .... of stuff. ((well -- he IS a "keeper" too LOL!))

• graywings123
    12 years ago

I have been in de-aquisition mode for years. There are lots of similarly-minded posters on the Organizing the Home forum.

I recently cleaned the house of an elderly family member who is a hoarder with early stage dementia while she was in the hospital. I just threw away the obvious garbage that she piled up intending to put out for recycle. Her life serves as a cautionary tale - seeing all the "good stuff" piled up and forgotten with price tags still attached is enough to keep me on track with my own personal purging. Hundreds maybe thousands of items of clothing and nick-nacks piled up and long forgotten - and she is still buying more. A Big Lots opened within walking distance of her house - sigh.

Give me either a consumable present or donate to one of my favorite charities, please.

• kkay_md
    12 years ago

With both of my kids in college now, I'm seizing the opportunity to pare down and clean out. Every day I try to tackle a small project--a closet, some drawers, a shelf here and there. It is very satisfying.

Like others here, I dislike the gift-giving aspect Christmas. I don't need more "stuff" (and my family and friends don't, either). I prefer to give consumables--foods or items that won't sit around and gather dust. My favorite holiday is Thanksgiving--surrounded by family, with no gift shopping or wrapping involved!

• OllieJane
    12 years ago

Yes, I do! Just last weekend we had a casual dinner party and my girlfriend brought me one of those big Woodwick (can't remember the name for sure, and too lazy to go look) candles IN MAUVE for a hostess gift! Just something else I have to get rid of, cuz it won't be out in my house anywhere. I'm sure it was re-gifted-HA!

• hhireno
    12 years ago

Oh yes, I'm right there with the rest of you. I'm pretty good about routinely purging and paring down but sometimes it gets to me that there's still more stuff to handle.

Luckily, there's a thrift store truck that comes to my neighborhood every 8 weeks. I keep a pile of stuff on a laundry room shelf waiting for their call. That mauve candle would be in that box before the dinner party was over.

And add me to the long list of people sick of Xmas presents. I think a shared experience or a nice meal together is a better idea. But to each their own, if exchanging gifts brings you joy, good for you.

The year my DH was sick I suggested to his family that instead of buying more stuff, why don't we all just donate the money to the Leukemia society. I think it was the first time in 16 years that my FIL agreed with me about something. But, sadly, MIL & SIL couldn't cope with that idea. To add insult to injury, Xmas with them has become mostly an exchange of gift cards. Instead of cash, that I could use how I wanted, I get fake cash that forces me to shop where they want me to shop.

It depresses me to even think about Xmas and the pile of odd gifts and gift cards.

I should go clean out my closet so I can counter that feeling with a sense of accomplishment. I can add to the small pile of clothes & purses that I have for the women's charity shop.

• lynninnewmexico
    Original Author
    12 years ago

YES!!!! I knew I wasn't alone in feeling this way, but it's so good to hear your thoughts on it!

A few more thoughts myself . . .

Re: elderly parents and their stuff~ last February when I went to stay with my parents at their winter home in Florida, it made me shudder to think about having dealing with all of their accumulated things someday in the near future. I don't want to do that to my own children! I also don't want to have to clean and organize it all while I'm here (LOL)!

Re: our own adult or almost-adult kids . . . they're now saying to us the same things I remember telling my own parents many years ago, "Please don't sell our family home because it's full of memories and it will be our gathering place to come together with you and our own families someday." (Sigh!) I feel guilty even considering it but, on the other hand, this is a really big home and acerage for 2 people to rattle around in . . . let alone clean, maintain, heat and air condition! We haven't made any decisions on that one yet, as DD is still a hs senior.

Re: gifts . . . I totally think that it's just fine to like giving and receiving gifts. But, if you personally don't, I think that this is ok, as well. I never meant to take anyone to task for not feeling the way I do.

But, you know what got me considering that possibility in the first place? The many friends, family members and acquaintences I heard commenting about how much they LOVED Thanksgiving because it was so relaxing and was just about getting together with family and /or friends and sharing a very special holiday meal and day together. No worries about having to find/buy gifts. It got me thinking that THIS is what I wanted our Christmas to be about (that and our personal religious beliefs that we celebrate): enjoying a special time with family and friends without the stress.
    I think that we were all a bit worried before that first Christmas with no gift exchange, but it turned out to be wonderful for us all! It was everything I'd hoped for and more. Everyone commented afterwards that it was just like another Thanksgiving with no stress, just a fun, festive, beautiful celebration together with a great feast, fun games, and good talk with wonderful people. Anyhoo, it works for us.
    Lynn

• deeinohio
    12 years ago

olliesmom: Candles ARE consumables. Just light that sucker some winter's day, let it burn all day and evening (maybe 2), then tell your friend how much you enjoyed it. Problem gone.:)
    Dee

• tinam61
    12 years ago

I agree Lynn - for those that enjoy sharing gifts, that is great. It's just not our focus anymore. As we all get older, things have changed.

My grandmother is in assisted living, will never come back home (she's 94). I am her POA and my sister, brother and I will inherit her home. I have had on my mind lately to start cleaning closets. She was such a good housekeeper till recent years and with mild dementia, she started hiding things. In moving her, we found clothes that had not been laundered, hung back up. Last year at Christmas, I was up there looking for a beautiful hand-made angel she always put out at Christmas. I wanted to use it. I was shocked at the condition of her closets. Never in my life had I seen her closets in such a mess. I am dreading going through them but think I will start on them soon. She has alot of nice clothing, purses, shoes, etc. that we can donate. It will be nice to have that chore done, then when she is no longer with us, we will just focus on house and contents (furniture, etc.).

I don't even want to think about my parent's attic. We have helped my dad go through a good bit in the house since my mom's death, but none of us have ventured to the attic.

tina

• abundantblessings
    12 years ago

I started opting out of affluenza decades ago in some respects as we have more than enough "things." I've even stopped wearing most of my jewelry except for special occasions. I'll still give cash or some useful item to DSs and DILs at Christmas, but only because they haven't yet internalized what I told them almost seven years ago about foregoing presents. I'd much prefer that we would all just spend time together enjoying each other without the burden of consumerism.

Now I still have too much furniture as some is stored, though like SG I've donated a grand piano and given away some other items. It's hard to get rid of some pieces that we've acquired over the years as they are unique and beautiful (to us) with memories attached, so I guess I'm still a bit too attached. OTH, having lost all my parents' possessions to Katrina, I truly know that only the loving bonds between family and friends are of any real value.

Although we have enjoyed living in beautiful, large homes and have consistently up-sized until moving last year to a smaller home, I'm almost at the point where I'm ready to truly downsize. When DH became seriously ill while on vacation last year, we rented a 1 bedroom condo for six months while he recuperated. I realized then how little space we really need, but nevertheless bought a home that could accommodate our family, friends and most of our furniture. I'm seriously considering culling down and moving across the country once again, this time to a much smaller home.

I know I still am a bit addicted to affluenza though when I read Caroline's post and thought, "Please tell your children I'd love to have your turned bowls!" Sigh.

• graywings123
    12 years ago

affluenza - LOVE IT!

• jlj48
    12 years ago

Lynn - Love your ideas about holidays being a time of little stress, just being together, and sharing your own traditions and values as a family. Before my parents passed away, that's what our family get togethers were like, and that's what I want my own family get togethers to be more like (harder to do when you have small children). I only wish I could get hubby's family to think like that. They only recently went to drawing names and everyone STILL buys for the children. They just end up with so much stuff. I shouldn't complain but it is totally opposite of what we're trying to teach them. I'll always treasure my family's Christmases, going to a short and intimate candlelight church service together, eating a meal together, having a small gift exchange for adults and children and the kids stockings were always hung over the fireplace with small treats and toys inside. The kids played together and enjoyed being together while the adults chatted and ate too much dessert. I'll never forget the year my Dad bought every grandchild (11 I think) Star Wars light up lazers/noisemakers. They had a blast and drove us nuts all night. Sorry to ramble, your post just took me back for a minute.

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    12 years ago

As I am younger than many on this post, the place I am at is slightly different. I definitely do not want more videos. I am looking forward to making the transition towards more digital things, books, music, movies, etc.

Right now I want to transition to the point where the stuff I have is the stuff I want and really like, not the just make do stuff or the stuff that was a gift or even the stuff that was an heirloom given to us because somebody did not want it but did not have the heart to throw it out, that is just passing the buck. I am ready for my home to be more of a reflection of me and my family but only with stuff I truly, truly like.

My problem with gift giving is it is often done out of obligation (sometimes real, sometimes imagined) and there often is not a true appreciation. We feel obligated to give gifts, showing that we are thinking of somebody but often that somebody does not really appreciate the gift. DH is not close with his brother's family or niece. The niece is an only child and really does not need anything but the family relationship still demands a gift (which is often not acknowledged later with a thank you). The in-laws do not need anything at all, but giving a gift is still expected. I think often that the sacrifice of gift giving is often over-looked. It is something that I will be wrestling with quite a bit as the holiday season approaches.

• stinky-gardener
    12 years ago

Hi Abundantblessings! Good to see you. I don't think you're suffering from Affluenza because you'd like to have Caroline's bowls set aside for you...I want my name on her rugs!

Once we pare down our belongings we become more selective. Our appreciation of the things we do choose to keep or buy is enhanced, I think. Only the nicest items make the cut, so Caroline's treasures would surely be a welcome addition!

I think there's a gypsy in you lady! You're thinking about moving again? Keep me posted! Hope your DH is feeling well these days.

I read the book, Affluenza...good read. Great term to coin...one word that says a lot!

• lynninnewmexico
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I come from a very large Catholic family. Mom & Dad were and still are wonderful, loving parents and we all love to spoil them because, well, they deserve it. But, like many of you've mentioned, they really don't need a much of anything at 81 & 83 years old. Every year I try and talk my siblings and their spouses into NOT buying more stuff for our parents to have to find a place for. Even with two (small, down-sized) homes (in FL & MI), the places seem so cluttered to me!
    A couple of years ago someone here started a fantastic thread about consumable and practical gifts. I LOVED that idea!! That Christmas, I had a gourmet food/meal company send them some really nice frozen meals. They loved it! For their birthdays this past year, I hired a local limousine company to send a private car & driver to pick them up at their Florida home, manage their luggage, etc. and take them to the airport as they flew up to their summer place in Michigan. In late-Sept, the same car and driver picked them up at the FL airport and drove them home, bringing in all their luggage. That was a huge hit with them as a gift and one I've already promised I'll repeat every year.
    Last year, I gave them gift certificates to dinner at their favorite restaurants for their birthdays. I've also found a really practical, usable gift for them awhile back: one of those folding garden bench/stools for each of their homes. They're sturdy, lightweight and they're great for helping them get up and down easier, inside and outside their homes. Both were having a tough time getting down to access their lower cupboards and their garden beds.

I wish they lived here by us, as then I could gift them with homemade meals that I made. I could gift them with hours of gardening and yard work for them. Or running them to the doctors or grocery stores. Or taking them out to eat. My parents are well-off so, for me, it's all about gifting them with things to make their lives easier or happier. Gifts like that don't have to be expensive. They just have to be used/consumed and work for that person or couple.

• Oakley
    12 years ago

Actually Natal, giving gifts is part of the re-enactment of Christ's birth.

I still love the unique (not mass produced) cards though. Not only are they beautiful but it helps to keep many artists employed.

My card this year is a reproduction of the original artist who made the first Christmas cards. I'll do all I can to keep this tradition going, even if it means one day I'll have to draw my own card and send it to myself! lol

I still feel sorry for the people who get your gifts though. They have no clue, do they?

• Oakley
    12 years ago

Natal, one more thing then I'm finished with this topic. You said I already have a Christmas topic going. Are you saying I'm not invited to talk Christmas gifts in this topic because of that?

It was you and Lynn who brought up Christmas in this thread. Just saying.

• natal
    12 years ago

Actually Natal, giving gifts is part of the re-enactment of Christ's birth.

I think you're confusing Santa with Christ unless you're giving gold, frankincense and myrrh.

And ... there were no hidden meanings in my comment about your other thread. I was simply saying that you had one.

Here is a link that might be useful: the 3 wise men

• patty_cakes
    12 years ago

Once grandchildren come into your life, the focus changes, and holidays, especially Christmas, becomes the Christmas *you* remember as a child. Brings that kid out again, but it's still hard to keep a 'handle' on not overbuying. Seems as I grow older, I enjoy giving the little ones things I never had(or my own kids didn't have),but still don't want to spoil them with too much, too soon. My kids are the ones who try to keep me in line. ;o)

• User
    12 years ago

I am getting out stickers...send me emails with forwarding info . :) c

• kitchenkelly
    12 years ago

Oh silly, silly Caroline. Your rugs are not "stuff." Put my name on some stickers for those gorgeous rugs of yours. (I'll duke it out with Stinky if we disagree on which ones we get.)

I will never forget your post when you had them all outside for a washing. Those rugs can get heavy. You must get a workout when you clean them.

• emagineer
    12 years ago

For the family I keep an eye on what is wanted through the year. Will buy it then and becomes both birthday and Christmas. No one here really "needs" anything. And we are all on tight budgets. I certainly need nothing.

Holidays were wonderful in past and Christmas my favorite. But the addition of family members along with dcattered distance has changed all. I let them alone with schedules on who they have to celebrate with.

What didn't work and wish it did was asking the kids to gift something they created, rather than bought. Wish it had worked, they don't really have the time.

My daughter and I get together a cook tons of candy a week before. Even this has gotten off budget, but friends and family look for our creations. They even ask when it is going to happen. So guess we do still give gifts.

There is one special gift I am making this year for my oldest son. A quilt from his flight suits, with all the pockets filled with memories of childhood, some of his remembered soldier events and notes from his brothers and sisters. There must be 3 dozen pockets in those.

And I got off the subject. My mother had purged quite well, the only interest I had when losing her was a set of small figurines she bought in Denmark. A word from my experience though. Cleaning out the house I found her jewelry stashed under a cabinet kick plate, inside a brown bag. Don't know why I even looked there, jewelry wasn't on my mind during the emotional move of all. I knew she had and wore some at different times, but not the amount found. I haven't worn any of it and still can't let go.

Also live in a small home and downsized. But there are a lot of items I wish had not been let go of and still think about them. Does anyone else have this happen.

• tinam61
    12 years ago

Good point Emagineer, especially since my grandmother was known to hide things.

I love your idea of the quilt for your son. What a special gift. These kind of gifts have so much meaning. I would love something like that over a "bought" gift. Your son will cherish that always.

I also like to bake and share the goodies during the holidays. I have great memories of my mom making all kinds of goodies, candies especially. I can remember the year she burnt her mixer motor up making divinity, among other things!! She had friends and relatives who looked forward to her treat boxes each year.

• DLM2000-GW
    12 years ago

Lynn we are in a very similar place about our house - it's too big for us at this stage of our lives. We use most of the square footage in some way - because it's there - but could easily manage with half ! Our youngest will be graduating from college next May and HOPEFULLY will be employed and able to support himself but who knows? Our older son works for the forest service but those gov't jobs are shakey, to say the least, so we always want to have a place where they can land if needed. So.... we keep the big old house - for now.

Stuff? I reached a saturation point many years ago and continually work to pare down. But it's back to that big house thing again - I'm not going to live in empty rooms so there's still far more STUFF than I actually need. When my mom died and I helped my dad move into an apartment, tons of family stuff came my way. Eleven years later when my dad died, the rest of it came to me. We've all talked about this before - the pull of family items and how hard it is to get rid of some things. But it has to be done so over the years I've pared down to the things that have the most meaning and passed the rest on in one way or another. I have dreams (nightmares?) about moving into a small home and having boxes and furniture stacked everywhere because I didn't sort and get rid of enough before moving!!

Gifts? I could write a book. Christmas at my in-laws used to make me physically ill with the insane buying and giving of cr@p. It doesn't matter to me a bit how much time is put into the shopping and wrapping, or what the item is. When someone (namely my MIL) is purchasing *stuff* because of a date on a calendar and is obsessed with getting the same # of packages for each person, because that's "just what you do for Xmas" I want no part of it. We'd been married only a short time when I told my DH that I was opting out. He was totally on board. It was a sore spot with everyone in his family for many years but we held firm. We just stopped buying. Our kids would get everything they needed and some of what they wanted all through the year at a time when it made sense to get the item, not an enormous pile o' stuff, all on one day, much of it to be returned, exchanged or donated. And that returning/exchanging all fell to me, of course. A few years of that and we started just donating everything, in the boxes, tags still on. Give me a quiet day, with my family cooking together, laughing and going for a long walk...... THAT'S the gift I want.

• jlj48
    12 years ago

dlm - that's what my Christmas is like with hubby's side of family, except since we live a little farther away, they're into gift cards and money now. It makes me so mad that my kids look as forward to Christmas with them than with their own parents because of the $ they know they will get. They undermine the REAL meaning of Christmas. And do you want to know the real kicker? They can't even afford it. It's all just so stupid. So hard to try to enjoy time together and catch up when you don't see them very often and this is the result. We do the bare minimum and hope they will get fed up because it's not recprocated. My husband is the peacemaker, that's who he is. His mom has already passed and we don't see his family very often so he doesn't want to make waves. Unfortunately we have an annual fight about this. But Thanksgiving is MINE! (So is Christmas when it's just us) Love cooking together, being together in our jammies, our own traditions. I hope THAT is what our kids remember and cherish one day. - I fondly remember my Mom's homemade fudge. She spent weeks making it and DID wear out many hand mixers. My sister has taken over making it and sends us all fudge at Christmas. My side was a big family and Mom and Dad couldn't spend alot. Being together, the gifts of fudge, the long talks, that's what I miss.