SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
notacontractor_gw

Carrier vs Goodman & 1 vs 2 systems & geothermal?

notacontractor
15 years ago

We moved an 1800 sq.ft. 1950's home and built an 1800 sq.ft. downstairs with 3 block walls and 1 framed wall with lots of glass facing a lake. One corner is 5' below grade dropping down to ground level within 25'. We're in South Carolina, so heat & humidity is a bigger factor than cold, but we're on a large lake with a cold wind. The upstairs is going to remain a weekend house for family members, and the thermostat will be set at 50 in the winter & 85 in the summer most of the time. The downstairs will be a permanent home for my nephew and his son, so that system will have normal usage. For reasons that too complicated to get into, we don't have a general contractor, so I'm learning as I go.

We've had at least 8 HVAC contractors look at it over the last several months. The first few said that even with zoning, we'd be unhappy with trying to use one system, since when the upstairs temp was cut back it'd be way oversized for the downstairs. It made sense so we didn't even ask most of the contractors about 1 vs 2.

After reading some of the forums, we went with most reputable installer instead of best price. The most highly recommended was going to put in a 4T & a 3T Evertemp 16 SEER dual fuel Heat pumps with 2 complete duct systems for $25,000. The other contractor was $21,000 using Goodman. Then, my nephew met the service manger for a certified Carrier dealer who came out and gave us another bid of $18,500 for two 3T units. He is very enthusiastic about the Infinity and explained convincingly why 3T was better than 4 for the upstairs. He also said that Carrier is the only manufacturer using an older technology that allows their unit at low speed to run on only one piston.

The newer scroll compressors supposedly can't cut back to a true half power like the Carrier. This saves power and drops the humidity. I make intuitive leaps sometimes, but it seemed like if it can run at true half power, maybe we could use one unit. When I told him why we'd only asked about 2 units, he agreed to look into it. He came back with a bid of $15,000 for a 5T Infinity 16 Seer dual fuel unit with 6 zones.

So my questions - Is the Carrier system really that different from the other systems, & can we go with one system if we use it? Were we wrong to go with two systems to begin with? Should I go back and ask the other 2 contractors to quote on one system?

Also, another issue revisited - geothermal. We are already pulling from the lake for our drinking water - no well and solid rock. Our only option was an open loop system with water that can't be discharged back into the lake. Also we'd have to go out about 120' to get a depth of 20' year round. We were told that even filtered the lake water would degrade the system too fast to be worth it. However, we just found out about the no cap 30% tax credit now available, so we're taking a second look. Any thoughts?

Comment