SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynninnewmexico

What Are Your Holidays (Meals, Events, Etc) Influenced by?

lynninnewmexico
12 years ago

Yesterday, being Labor Day, we made homemade ice cream, and had a cook-out with burgers, watermelon, homemade lemonade. etc.

As we sat around on the back patio afterwards, DD asked me how we celebrated Labor Day when I was a kid. Pretty much the same way, I told her except that my entire extended family gathered at our summer house on the lake to celebrate the day. Our daughter was surprised to hear that DH, as a kid, did nothing special and that all his neighbors did the same, they just relaxed and enjoyed the extra day off work.

He went on to tell her that in rural Oklahoma where he grew up, Memorial Days were for visiting cemeteries to put flowers and/or flags on their relatives graves. No big picnics, etc. In Michigan, my family and everyone else I knew back then had a big cook-out, pretty much just like our Labor Day one, although what we grilled out varied.

Fourth of July was the same, except we had lots of firework, as well.

We went on to compare other holidays and found that for what DH calls the "real" holidays of Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas, both our families had pretty much predetermined special meals, guests and events planned. But, he chuckled and said that Michiganders seem to be obsessed with celebrating every possible holidayin a mjor way. Is that true?!? Doesn't everyone celebrate Halloween, Valentine's Day, St. Patrick's Day, President's Day, New Year's Eve & Day, Mother's & Father's Days? I did as a kid and still do with my own family and our friends. But, I know that how we celebrate everything is mainly influenced by the traditions I grew up with.It would be nice but low-key, if DH was doing the planning! How about you?

My poor DH(LOL!), that's what he gets for not really having any special holiday traditions that he wanted to carry on for our kids. He considers his own to have been "nice and fun" but, in my mind, they were very low key and not very festive. For example, DH's family did nothing special on Halloween except carve a jack-o-lantern and the kids went trick-or-treating to the neighbors. My family, on the other hand, decorated the house and front yard, carved lots of pumpkins and had a big, fun potluck Halloween feast with homemade soups, homemade breads, salads, cider and homemade donuts for dessert. DH thinks that it's a bit strange to do that, but I've been continuing this tradition every year since we've been married and everybody has such fun!

I'm not saying that any specific way is right or wrong, just whatever is right for you personally. So . . . since DH didn't come into our marriage with any special holiday foods or things to do that he felt the least bit strongly about~ and I did ~ I've just kind of taken over the planning of them . . . all of them ;^D. I do have to say that our kids (and friends) have told us many times over the years what wonderful memories they have of all our holidays.

I can't help but wonder how our children will make their own special holiday traditions out of ours and their someday spouses'.

Sooooo, are your holiday foods, etc., influenced by your own childhood traditions, your spouse/SO's, a combination of both or something else?

Are your holiday foods and events influenced by where you grew up regionally or where you live now?

I'm looking forward to hearing about them and the reasons behind them.

After all this reminiscing about summer holidays last night, DD and I started in with the preliminary planning of this year's annual Halloween potluck dinner and decorations. DH just got this glazed look in his eyes and shook his head (LOL!).

Lynn

Comments (11)