SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jean_luc_gw

What elements influence taste, flavor, etc in Nutrient Sol.

jean-luc
14 years ago

Hi there!

I was wondering how the flavor and taste of certain vergetables or herbs was influenced by different components, atually by the composition of the elements in a nutrient solution.

In other words, when french gourmets talk about "produits du terroir", meaning tasty products from the homeland, - how much does the soil matter in the quality of the product (if fruit or vegetable)? Is it possible to get information from a specific composition of such a soil? If it's more the result of climate, soil and other parameters all combined, (which is most likely the case anyway), - what should one at least observe or learn from such soil?

As far as I know, calcium and sulfur play major roles when it comes to tatse, flavor and pungency. Does anyone know what other elements are responsible or play a major role?

I have observed that my tomatoes have (or seem to have) just a pinch less flavour in Hydro than in soil. Various herbs instead have clearly more taste and flavour in Hydro than in soil. This is the case In tropical climate and outdor hydroponics, where I have kind of a higher grow rate than average.

Any hint or observation connecting taste an element, composition, would be helpful and appreciated!

Thanks

Jean-Luc from Northern Thailand

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor