SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
holligator_gw

So, so, so close...now I need help with the last big decision

holligator
16 years ago

Well, it's almost done. In fact, if the gas guy ever shows up to hook up my stove, it will be completely functional. We still need some trim done and a few minor adjustments, but I'm really loving it.

My last big decision is what to do about a backsplash. There are just so many choices and, so far, none of them has jumped out me as THE one. I lean toward the simple choices, with a basic subway tile (no idea what color) and a mini-brick version of my flooring both being reasonable options. I also like glass tile a lot, and I've considered a smallish mosaic tile, but lean toward the ones of just one color. I think a splash of color would be nice, but I wonder if it would be too much with the simple, warm neutrals I have going on. If I do go with color, it would have to "go" with my Polish pottery collection, which will be displayed on the open shelves and elsewhere (see pic).

What backsplash would YOU put in this kitchen??

Sorry the first pic's a bit blurry, but it does that when I don't use a flash. The flash on my camera makes the cabinets a weird color. The color in the first pic is closer to the real thing, but they aren't quite that yellow looking, either. Just picture a cabinet color somewhere between these two pics. :)

Would a pale, creamy yellow subway tile with an accent strip of dark cobalt look right? How about an off-white? How about a sage green? I definitely don't want a dark color for the field tile, but a dark accent would be OK. Also, everything is so "natural" now (soapstone counters, natural cherry cabs, natural stone floor), that I worry about how something like ceramic tile will look. Would it be too "glossy" in a room full of matte finishes??

Here's a pic of pottery like mine...

Oh, and one last question... I'm debating on the crown molding above the window and above a door on the other side. The rest of the room has crown the color of the window trim, but I was thinking that continuing the cabinet crown in these two spots would look better. Any opinions about that?

Comments (26)