SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kharamarie_gw

Please help with countertop decision!!! I'm so confused!!!

kharamarie
13 years ago

Hi GWers! I really, really need your help!!! I am in the midst of a kitchen remodel for my 1950s ranch that I recently purchased. I am putting my entire savings into this project and am agonizing over every little decision. I plan to stay in this house for a long time and am terrified of making choices and decisions that I'll regret.

Here are the details so far...

-fully inset, Shaker-style cabinets painted either soft white or gray (ala Sally Wheat kitchen) all the way to the ceiling (8')

-Shaws 30" fireclay farm sink

-wood floors to match the floors throughout the rest of house (red oak stained a medium to dark walnut color)

-stainless steel appliances (Frigidaire Pro counter-depth refrigerator, dishwasher and slide-in dual fuel range.

I have been agonizing over my countertop choice for months, and just can't seem to come up with the "perfect" answer. SO PLEASE HELP ME!!!

I don't really want the granite look. I adore marble, but have read every thread I can get me eyes on and am not one that's going to be content with etching or staining. I also adore soapstone but don't know much about the maintenance issues involved or how easily it scratches, chips, etc. Will I need to baby it???

I have been told by my fabricator and the people at the stone yard that Danby marble with a "comet treatment" and proper sealer will not have the staining or etching issues of other marbles. However, I've read threads that conflict with this and am so confused. I currently have a slab of Danby Arabescatto on hold, as well as a slab of super white quartzite that I like. I'm just worried that the quartzite will look to "busy" or out of character with the style of the kitchen. As for the soapstone, I haven't seen it in person but love what see in pictures. I live in Louisville, KY and I found a fabricator several hours away in Indiana (The Stone Studio) that carry different varieties. I got a quote from them, and though it was more that the danby or quartzite, I'd be willing to cut costs elsewhere and work it out if this is the right choice.

Here are pics of the super white and the danby. Please send any and all feedback, advice and help that you can offer!!!

quartzite

danby

Comments (19)