SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
phoebe100_gw

Needed Mulberry Recipes, Jams & Such

phoebe100
16 years ago

Hi All, Here in Central Florida the mulberries are ripe. I have two big trees, loads of mulberries. For right now, I've been freezing them. But I'm interested if anybody has recipes for canning them & making jelly or any other ideas. Not really interested in pie recipes just stuff that can be stored. How hard is wine I wonder?

Thanks for any advice!

phoebe

Comments (21)

• annie1992
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Phoebe, here in Michigan mulberries are pretty prolific. I've used them successfully in nearly any recipe that calls for blackberries, although they are not actually a berry, they're a fruit and they are more "fragile" and tend to mush up a bit more.

Here's my basic mulberry jam recipe, using Sure Jell. I've gone to longer cooked no-pectin recipes so I can reduce the sugar, but this has worked well in the past.

Mulberry Jam

Makes: About 11 (1-cup) jars

5-1/2 cups prepared fruit (buy about 3 qt. fully ripe mulberries)
    1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
    1 box Sure Jell
    1/2 tsp. butter or margarine
    8-1/2 cups sugar, measured into separate bowl

Bring boiling-water canner, half full with water, to simmer. Wash jars and screw bands in hot soapy water; rinse with warm water. Pour boiling water over flat lids in saucepan off the heat. Let stand in hot water until ready to use. Drain jars well before filling.

CRUSH mulberries thoroughly, one layer at a time. Measure exactly 5-1/2 cups prepared fruit into 6- or 8-qt. saucepot. Stir in lemon juice.

STIR in pectin. Add butter to reduce foaming. Bring mixture to full rolling boil (a boil that doesn't stop bubbling when stirred) on high heat, stirring constantly. Stir in sugar. Return to full rolling boil and boil exactly 4 min., stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Skim off any foam with metal spoon.

LADLE immediately into prepared jars, filling to within 1/8 inch of tops. Wipe jar rims and threads. Cover with two-piece lids. Screw bands tightly. Place jars on elevated rack in canner. Lower rack into canner. (Water must cover jars by 1 to 2 inches. Add boiling water, if necessary.) Cover; bring water to gentle boil. Process 10 min. Remove jars and place upright on towel to cool completely. After jars cool, check seals by pressing middles of lids with finger. (If lids springs back, lids are not sealed and refrigeration is necessary.)

Here's another of my favorite recipes, I used to make this when I was still married to the ex, his folks had a mulberry tree. Too bad I lost the berries when I dumped the ex! Make a double batch, it's really good IF you like a bit of heat.

Chipotle-Mulberry Sauce

1/4 cup red raspberry vinegar
    1 large clove garlic, minced
    1 cup crushed mulberries
    1 chipotle in adobo, minced

In a sauce pan, combine the vinegar, garlic, mulberries, and chipotle and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and cook, uncovered, for 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and puree if you want a smoother sauce. This will be intensely purple!

Use to glaze the chicken or ribs, but if you do them on the grill watch carefully because the sauce is sticky and will burn quickly.

Makes about 1/2 cup

Let's see, what else? Well, they make an awesome cobbler, but mush up a bit too much for a pie unless you mix them with rhubarb or peaches or maybe even apples. Well, that's my opinion, anyway, my Grandpa would argue, he loved mulberry pie. If you do make it, be sure to cook and thicken the mulberry filling before filling the shell so the crust doesn't get too soggy.

I also think they'd make a pretty lavender colored ice cream, and might be good if pureed and strained and added to lemonade.

Annie

• phoebe100
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks so much, I printed all that out. I love jams of various kinds, I'll try that one for sure. That sauce used as a glaze sounds right up my alley. I don't eat meat, but that sounds like it will work for grilled tofu also. I'm going to try that this weekend.
    Thanks so much, I really appreciate getting recipes that people use & like.

• Related Discussions

Wild plum jam recipe needed

Q

Comments (2)
    Here you go. Link below has several recipes both with and without. Pectin is optional it can be made with or without. Your choice. Dave Here is a link that might be useful: NCHFP - Plum Jam with no added pectin
    ...See More

Carambola and Bignay Jam/Jelly Recipes Needed!

Q

Comments (1)
    I don't know about a jam recipe, but Carambolas make a really good drink! A local fruit fancier who has a large, prolific tree, seeds and peels the fruit, whips it in a blender, then freezes the juice after straining. He adds either Splenda or sugar, Lime juice, and water/ice. The resulting drink is delicious!!! Alcohol can be added as desired, but it is yummy by itself. The juice can be frozen for months without any degrading. Lisa
    ...See More

RECIPE: mulberries

Q

Comments (2)
    irislilly, the stem always came out easily from the berries I picked here, although the berries would usually "collapse" when picked because that stem did run all the way through. I'm sorry I don't have a way for you to easily remove those. You could just crush and strain them for jelly but if you have a lot you could also make cobblers and crisps, freeze some to add to scones, etc. (they collapse so easily that they break up when stirred into scones, so I freeze them for that) The "other" mulberry thread? Was that the one from the Harvest Forum? Many posters there have trees or access to them and maybe they'd have suggestions on those stems. Annie
    ...See More

recipe: iso - shelf stable recipe for peache - not jam

Q

Comments (1)
    Yum on your frozen peaches. But once they thaw .......... time to eat.
    ...See More
  • lindac
    16 years ago

Oh! Dear....I spend a lot of my summer pulling up mulberry seedlings from the neighbor's weed tree! Unfortunatly it's been limbed up and only the birds can get at the fruit!
    However I do remember a neighbor when Iw as about in 4th grade and the wide spreading branches, just right for a 10 year old to climb.
    I've never cooked with them, and wouldn't know where to find any....but In a couple of months I can find you a couple of baby trees!
    Linda C

• Daisyduckworth
    16 years ago

Brace yourself! NB Mulberries can be used in any recipe which calls for blackberries.

Mulberry Balsamic Chicken
    1 teaspoon vegetable oil
    1/2 cup red onion, chopped
    1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
    salt and pepper
    4 skinless chicken breast fillets
    1/3 cup seedless mulberry preserves
    2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar

Heat oil in a large frypan over medium high heat until hot. Add onion, saute 5 minutes. Combine thyme and 1/4 teaspoon salt; sprinkle over chicken. Add chicken to pan and saute 6 minutes on each side or until done. Remove chicken from pan, keep warm. Reduce heat to low. Add 1/4 teaspoon salt, preserves, vinegar and pepper, stirring constantly until the preserves melt. Spoon sauce over chicken.

Mulberry Blackheads
    250g butter
    2/3 cup sugar
    2 egg whites
    4 cups flour
    mulberry jam

Preheat oven to 160C. Beat first measure of butter until creamy. Add sugar, a little at a time, until all the sugar has been used. Add the egg white and flour and beat until the dough is well blended. Lightly butter a baking tray. Roll the dough into golfball-sized balls. Flatten slightly and press down in the centre of each with your thumb. Place about 2xm apart on the baking tray. Bake about 12 minutes. Cool for a few minutes before moving to a wire rack. When completely cooled, fill each indentation with mulberry jam.

Mulberry Bread
    3 cups plain flour
    2 cups sugar
    3 teaspoons cinnamon
    1 teaspsoon bicarbonate of soda
    1 teaspoon salt
    1.25kg frozen mulberries, thawed and juice reserved
    4 eggs
    1 cup vegetable oil

Preheat oven to 180C. Combine flour, sugar, cinnamon, bicarbonate of soda and salt. Mash mulberries well. Add eggs and oil. Combine with flour mixture. If batter appears too dry, add reserved juice or 1/4 cup milk. Pour into 2 greased loaf tins. Bake for 1 hour.

Mulberry Cheesecake
    Crust:
    1 1/4 cups crushed plain sweet biscuits
    4 tablespoons butter or margarine

Blend biscuit crumbs and butter pat into bottom only of large, deep, springform tin.

Filling  First Layer
    750g cream cheese
    3 eggs
    1 cup sugar
    1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla

Preheat oven to 180°C. Mix together the cream cheese, eggs, sugar and vanilla until smooth and pour into pan. Bake 35 minutes. Refrigerate 30 minutes to stop cooking action.

Filling: Second Layer:
    600ml sour cream
    3 tablespoons sugar
    1 teaspoon vanilla

Mix together sour cream, sugar and vanilla until smooth and spread over cake. Bake for 5 minutes. Refrigerate until cool.

Topping:
    300g mulberries
    2 tablespoons sugar
    1 tablespono cornflour

Cook mulberries with sugar and cornflour over medium heat, stirring until thickened. Cool and add to top of cake. Refrigerate.

Mulberry Chews
    3/4 cup butter
    2 eggs, separated
    1 cup almonds, finely chopped
    1/2 cup flaked coconut
    3/4 cup sugar
    1 1/2 cups plain flour
    seedless mulberry preserves

Preheat oven to 180°C. Cream butter with ½ cup sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolks. Stir in flour until blended. Spread evenly in a slab tin. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Meanwhile, beat the egg whites until foamy and double in volujme. Beat in remaining sugar until firm peaks form. Fold in almonds. Spread mulberry preserves over the baked layer, sprinkle with coconut, then top with meringue. Bake for 25 minutes or until lightly golden.Cool completely on a wire rack. Cut into 2cm squares. May be frozen by wrapping securely in plastic, then placed in a plastic container.

Mulberry Chicken Breast
    8 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
    1/4 cup chicken stock
    1/4 teaspoon cornflour
    1 tablespoon water
    1 cup mulberries

Grill chicken until brown. Place in a pan with stock and bake at 160 until chicken is done, about 15 minutes. Meanwhile, heat mulberries until they start to warm up. Mix waters with cornflour and add to mulberry mixture. Heat to very hot. Mixture will slightly thicken. When chicken is done, place a spoonful of mulberry sauce over chicken. Serve on a bed of rice, chicken, then sauce on top.

Mulberry Coconut Slice
    1 2/3 cups plain sweet biscuit crumbs
    1/2 cup butter or margarine, melted
    280g flaked coconut
    400g tin sweetened condensed milk
    1 cup mulberry jam or preserves
    1/3 cup finely chopped walnuts
    1/2 cup dark chocolate pieces, melted
    45g white chocolate pieces, melted

Preheat oven to 180°C. Combine biscuit crumbs and butter. Spread evenly over bottom of a slab tin, pressing to make compact crust. Sprinkle coconut over crust. Pour condensed milk evenly over coconut. Bake 25-30 minutes or until lightly browned; cool. Spread jam over coconut layer; chill 3 to 4 hours. Sprinkle with walnuts. Drizzle dark chocolate, then white chocolate over top layer to make lacy effect. Chill. Cut into bars.

Mulberry Crumbed Cake
    125g butter
    250g self raising flour, sifted
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    160g castor sugar
    2 eggs
    1 egg yolk
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    1 cup yoghurt
    300g fresh mulberries

Topping:
    160g soft butter
    90g brown sugar
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    220g plain flour, sifted
    1 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease baking pan. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, and yolk, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Fold the flour, alternating with yoghurt, into the mixture. Fold in berries. Spoon the mixture into baking pan. To make the topping, sift dry ingredients together into a bowl. Use a fork to mix in butter till the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Sprinkle evenly over the cake mixture. Bake at 180°C for 35-40 minutes until golden brown and the cake tester inserted in the centre comes out clean.

Mulberry Curd
    3 cups mulberries
    1/4 cup lemon juice
    1/4 cup sugar, according to sweetness of mulberries
    1 cup unsalted butter
    3 egg yolks

Puree the mulberries, combine them with the lemon juice and sugar, if needed. Place in saucepan, simmer about 5 minutes, and strain through a mesh sieve. Place the strained Mulberries in a blender or food processor. Melt the butter in a saucepan until it is just bubbly. With the machine running, slowly drizzle in the butter. Return the mixture to a saucepan. In a mixing bowl, beat the egg yolks. Add 3 or 4 tablespoons of the mulberry mixture to the egg yolks and blend well. Pour the egg yolk and Mulberry mixture into the saucepan with the rest of the Mulberry mixture. Over very low heat, stir until the mixture thickens, about 10 or 15 minutes. Cool and refrigerate. Mulberry curd will keep up to 10 days in the refrigerator.

Mulberry Custard
    6 tablespoons mulberry preserves
    36 fresh mulberries
    1/2 cup sugar
    2 eggs
    2 egg yolks
    2 teaspoons vanilla
    pinch salt
    2 cups evaporated milk

Preheat oven to 180°C. Place 1 tablespoon preserves, then 6 berries in each of six 3/4 cup custard cups or ramekins. Whisk sugar, eggs, yolks, vanilla and salt together until blended. Heat evaporated milk over medium heat until tiny bubbles form around edge of pan. Gradually whisk milk into egg mixture. Evenly divide custard mixture among cups with berries. Set cups into a baking pan. Pour enough hot water into baking pan to reach halfway up sides of cups. Bake until custards are just set in centre, about 35 minutes. Remove custards from water and cool 10 minutes. Refrigerate at least 2 hours.

Mulberry Dumplings
    4 cups mulberries
    1 cup sugar
    salt
    1/2 teaspoon lemon essence
    1 1/2 cups self raising flour
    1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    2/3 cup milk
    cream or whipped cream, optional

In a large saucepan, combine the mulberries, sugar, pinch salt and lemon essence. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, combine flour, nutmeg and 2 teaspoons sugar. Add milk, stirring until just mixed. Dough will be very thick. Drop by tablespoons into 6 mounds onto the hot mulberry mixture. Cover tightly and simmer for 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in a dumpling comes out clean. Serve with cream or whipped cream if desired.

Mulberry Fudge
    1 1/2 cups ripe mulberries
    2 cups sugar
    2 tablespoons butter

Cook mulberries, mash and drain through a fine sieve or jelly bag to obtain about 2/3 cup juice. Mix juice with sugar and butter and cook over low heat until sugar dissolves. Bring to the the boil on medium and boil without stirring until soft-ball candy stage- 240 degrees. Remove from heat; cool until lukewarm and beat with a wooden spoon until mixture looses its gloss. Press into a buttered pan and cut into squares before the candy hardens. Keep in a tightly covered dish or freeze because this candy hardens when exposed to the air.

Mulberry Glazed Pork Chops
    1 teaspoon butter or margarine
    4 boneless pork chops, 1.5cm thick
    1/2 cup seedless mulberry jam
    mulberry or balsamic vinegar
    1/4 cup Dijon mustard
    1 teaspoon grated orange rind
    1 1/2 teaspoons chopped thyme

Heat butter in large frypan on medium heat. Add chops; cook on both sides about 5-7 minutes or until browned. Combine remaining ingredients, add to pan. Simmer, uncovered, until sauce is reduced to a glaze consistency and chops are tender, about 5 minutes, turning chops frequently.

Mulberry Grunt
    Berry Mixture:
    6 cups mulberries
    3/4 cup sugar, or to taste
    1/3 cup red wine or water
    1 tablespoons grated lemon rind
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Dumplings:
    1 cup self raising flour
    2 tablespoons sugar
    2 tablespoons butter, melted
    1/2 cup buttermilk, approximately
    cinnamon sugar

Place the berry mixture in a deep frypan and bring to a simmer over moderate heat. While berries are cooking make the dumpling dough. Stir the butter into the flour. Add enough of the buttermilk to form a soft, sticky dough. Cover the frypan with the berries in it and bring to the boil. Lower the heat to a steady simmer, uncover, and spoon the dough over the fruit, forming small dumplings with a soup spoon. Sprinkle the dumplings lightly with the cinnamon sugar. Tightly cover the frypan with the lid or a sheet of foil and steam the mixture over medium heat, without opening the lid, until the dumplings set and the surface is dry when touched with a fingertip, usually about 15 minutes. Spoon the warm grunt into serving bowls with top with whipped cream or ice cream and sweetened yoghurt.

Mulberry Ice Cream
    4 cups mulberries
    1 cup water
    sugar
    1 1/2 cups thickened cream

Line a strainer with 2 layers of dampened cheesecloth. Set over a large bowl. Combine berries and water in a medium saucepan. Slowly bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer gently until soft, about 10 minutes. Pour into cheesecloth-lined strainer. Let stand until juice has drained into bowl, about 30 minutes. Gently squeeze pulp to extract remaining juice. Measure berry juice into heavy medium saucepan. Add 1 cup sugar for each cup juice. Cook over low heat, swirling pan occasionally, until sugar dissolves. Increase heat and boil syrup 2 minutes. Cool completely. Mix 2 1/2 cups syrup with cream. Refrigerate until well chilled. Process mulberry mixture in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer's instructions; ice cream will be soft. Freeze in covered container several hours. Garnish with fresh berries and mint leaves.

Mulberry Jam
    Use only very ripe mulberries. Put 500g of mulberries in a jar and stand it in a pan of water over heat until the juice is extracted. Strain them and put the juice into a large saucepan with 1.5kg of sugar. Boil it and remove the scum and put in 1.5kg of very ripe mulberries and leave them in the syrup until thoroughly warm. Slowly bring back to the boil and boil very gently, stirring constantly for a few minutes, taking care not to break up the fruit. Remove from heat and leave overnight. Next morning, bring back to the boil and boil gently until the mixture is stiff.

Mulberry Jelly
    1.5kg mulberries
    1.5kg apples
    sugar

Cover mulberries with water and cook until soft. Drain through a jelly bag. Cut apples in quarters, removing core. Cover with water. Cook slowly until tender. Drain through jelly bag. Combine mulberry and apple juice in equal proportions. Use 2/3 cup sugar for each cup juice. Boil rapidly until jelly sheets from spoon.

Mulberry Meringue Pie
    1 cooked pastry case
    500g mulberries
    125g sugar
    2 tablespoons plain flour
    water
    1 dessertspoon butter
    2 egg whites
    2 egg yolks, beaten
    pinch salt
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar

Reserve a few mulberries for decoration. Combine mulberries and sugar in a saucepan over gentle heat and allow juice to run freely. Blend flour with a little water and stir into the mulberries. Add butter and bring the mixture to the boil. Cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Allow to cool slightly, then add egg yolks. Reheat without boiling. Pour into pastry case. Beat the egg whites and salt until stiff, add sugar gradually while still beating, beat until it stands in peaks, then add cream of tartar. Pile onto mulberry filling and bake at 180°C until crisp and brown. Garnish with reserved mulberries.

Mulberry Muffins
    2 cups self raising flour
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/2 cup castor sugar
    1 egg
    1 cup milk
    60g butter, melted
    3/4 cup mulberries, stems removed

Sift flour and salt into a bowl, stir in sugar. Make a well in the centre. Beat the egg, add milk and melted butter, beat in. Pour egg mixture into dry ingredients and add mulberries. Stir quickly and lightly with a fork until dry ingredients and moistened. Do not overmix. Spoon into greased muffin tins to two-thirds full. Bake at 200°C for 20 minutes. Serve warm with butter or cream cheese spread.

Mulberry Pie
    Pastry:
    2 cups plain flour
    125g butter
    1 egg yolk
    1/4 cup sour cream
    3 teaspoons castor sugar
    egg white
    sugar

Rub butter into flour with the fingertips. Beat egg yolk with sour cream and castor sugar, add to flour mixture and mix with a knife until dough gathers into a ball. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for 30 minutes. Divide into portions, one slightly larger than the other. Roll out the larger portion and line a greased 23cm pie plate. Fill the pie, roll out remaining pastry and cover. Moisten edges and press together. Beat egg white and brush a little over the pie. Sprinkle with sugar and cut 4-5 slits in the top. Bake at 200°C for 20 minutes, reduce to 180°C and bake a further 10-15 minutes until pastry is golden brown. Serve warm with whipped cream or ice cream.

Filling:
    5 cups mulberries, stems removed
    1 1/2 tablespoons cornflour
    1/3-1/2 cup castor sugar
    1 tablespoon lemon juice

Do not wash mulberries. If necessary, rinse lightly, drain and spread onto kitchen paper to dry. Mix cornflour and sugar together, using the larger amount of sugar if mulberries are sour. Add mulberries, toss lightly to coat with dry ingredients. Put into prepared shell, heaping them in the centre. Sprinkle any cornflour mixture over the top, then sprinkle on lemon juice.

Mulberry Pikelets
    1 1/2 cups self raising flour
    2 tablespoon castor sugar
    2 eggs
    1 cup milk
    1/4 cup melted butter
    1 cup mulberries, stems removed

Combine flour and sugar, add eggs, milk and butter and mix to a smooth batter with a whisk. Fold in mulberries. Heat a small frypan on medium heat and grease lightly with a little butter. Pour in about 1/4 cup of the batter and cook for about 1 1/2-2 minutes until the top is covered with bubbles. Turn and cook until it sounds hollow when tapped, about 1 1/2 minutes. Serve hot with whipped butter or cream and Mulberry Syrup or maple syrup.

Whipped Butter:
    Beat 125g butter with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Leave at room temperature until required.

Mulberry Syrup:
    1kg mulberries
    2 cups water
    4 cups sugar
    1/2 cup strained lemon juice

Put mulberries and water in a saucepan, cover and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer gently for 20 minutes until mulberries are very soft. Mash in the pan with a potato masher. Set a colander over a bowl and line with fine muslin. Pour in mulberries and leave for 2-3 hours, making sure the base of the colander is above the surface of the juice. Press pulp down to extract remaining moisture. Discard pulp and pour juice into a clean saucepan. Add sugar and stir over heat, without boiling, until sugar is dissolved. Add lemon juice and bring to the boil. Boil rapidly for 5 minutes until the syrup coats the back of a metal spoon. Pour into hot, sterilised bottles and seal when cold. Store in a cool, dark place. Use on pancakes, serve over ice cream, mix a little with cold water as a cordial, or use to flavour milkshakes.

Mulberry Queen of Puddings
    1 teaspoon finely grated lemon rind
    300ml milk
    15g butter or margarine
    30g castor sugar or brown sugar
    90g fine breadcrumbs, white or brown
    3 eggs
    3 tablespoons mulberry jam
    155g castor sugar for meringue

Preheat oven to 160C. Mix thelemon rind with the milk and bring to the boil over a gentle heat. Remove from the heat. Add the butter, sugar and breadcrumbs. Mix well and allow to cool. Separate the yolks from the whites of 2 eggs. Beat the 2 yolks with the whole egg. Whisk into the breadcrumb mixture then pour into a 600-900ml greased ovenproof dish. Stand the dish in a roasting tin of cold water. Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until the mixture is set. Spread with the mulberry jam. Recuce oven heat to 150°C. Whisk the egg whites until stiff. Slowly whisk in half the sugar, then fold in the remainder. Pipe the meringue in a lattice work or spread over the pudding and then make it into peaks. Return to the oven for 15-20 minutes until the meringue is light golden in colour. Serve hot.

Mulberry Soup
    3 cups mulberries
    3/4 cup water
    2 tablespoons lemon juice
    2 tablespoons finely grated lemon rind
    2 tablespoons arrowroot
    1/2 cup maple syrup
    2 cups strawberry wine
    1/2 cup sour cream
    1/2 cup mulberries for garnish

Puree mulberries. Strain through a sieve into a bowl. Take seeds and rind left in sieve and transfer to saucepan. Add water; simmer for 5 minutes; strain into bowl containing berry juice. Discard seeds remaining in sieve.Combine lemon juice, lemon rind and arrowroot. Add to berry juice. Add maple syrup and wine. Transfer to a saucepan, and simmer over low heat until thick. Refrigerate 2 hours. Serve in individual bowls with a dollop of sour cream and a spoonful of berries on top

Mulberry Syrup
    50g mulberries
    1litre white wine vinegar
    1kg sugar
    125g honey

Place the mulberries in a non-metallic bowl and pour the vinegar over. Leave to stand for at least 24 hours, stirring and pressing the fruit regularly, to extract the juices. Strain the liquid into a large saucepan or small preserving pan and bring to the boil. Add the sugar, stirring until it is all dissolved, then add the honey, stirring well. Bring back to the boil and boil hard for 5 minutes. Allow to cool completely. Originally this syrup was bottled and stored, one tablespoon being added to a glass of hot water to form a bedtime drink. However, the syrup can easily be frozen in ice-cube trays and then stored in bags in the freezer to be used when required. A pleasant nightcap that is also said to be good for relieving a cold.

Rum and Mulberry Sauce
    1 cup rum
    1 cup sugar
    1 cup mulberries

Warm rum, melt the sugar. Add mulberries and stir. Will keep sealed in a bottle for about 2 months. Serve dribbled over ice cream or warmed over plain steamed puddings etc.

Sour Cream and Mulberry Jam Pie
    Pastry:
    250g plain flour
    250g unsalted butter
    grated rind of 2 lemons

Preheat oven to a 180°C. Mix the flour with the butter and add the lemon rind. Divide the dough into two and refrigerate until cold. Roll out one quantity of dough and line a flan case with it. Refrigerate.

Filling:
    150ml sour cream
    125g pecan nuts, crushed
    2 vanilla pods
    pinch nutmeg
    2-3 drops almond essence
    2 teaspoons cinnamon
    2 egg yolks
    large jar of mulberry jam

Combine the sour cream and pecan nuts. Scrape the seeds out of the vanilla pods and add them to the bowl. Add the nutmeg, almond essence, cinnamon and egg yolks. Mix all the ingredients together. Gently spread the jam over the entire surface of the bottom of the flan case. Then spread the pecan mixture on top. Roll out the other piece of pastry on a cold surface. Place it on top of the flan to make a lid; trim the edges. Bake for about 45 minutes until golden brown and slightly puffy. Serve hot or cold with whipped cream.

• phoebe100
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh my goodness! I had no idea there were so many things to do with mulberries. That's fantastic I have so many, looks like many to come to. Thanks sooo much!
    phoebe

• kstog
    15 years ago

Wow, I tried the mulberry perserve recipe. It is fabulous. I had a bit left over so I put it aside in a bowl. After I processed the jars, I spread the left over, still warm, perserves on a slice of pound cake. It was great. Does anyone have any suggestions for an easy way to remove the little stems on the berries?
    Karen

• annie1992
    15 years ago

karen, if you find an easy way to remove those stems, please let me know, I haven't found one yet.

It's why I often made those into jelly, the stems came right out with the seeds when I strained the juice!

Annie

• kstog
    15 years ago

Annie,
    I found that if you freeze the mulberries and then use a strawberry huller the stems come out easily. It's time consuming, but it's worth it to have the fruit in the jam.
    Karen

• rosefolly
    15 years ago

They are starting to ripen here in California, too. I plan to make jam this year for the first time, and I'm pleased to find the recipe, thanks!

I do have a question. The skins of mulberries are so delicate that I have never been able to pick them without crushing them at least a little. Of course I stand under the tree with purple fingers eating them like a greedy child. (So do any visitors I show the tree to!) I have been thinking of spreading an old, clean sheet under the tree and shaking the branches. Has anyone else tried this? Or are there other recommendations for successfully gathering mulberries?

Rosefolly

• girlsingardens
    15 years ago

Rosefolly,

What you are suggesting is what my grandma said that they always did. I did it once and it worked great. My folks had a tree that the mulberries were at least an inch and a half long and so good. Alas they got tired of the purple poop stains on the vehicles so they cut the trees down. I would just put old sheets on the ground and shake the branches until the mulberries rained down.

Stacie
    girlsingardens

• ci_lantro
    15 years ago

My grandma made a mulberry rhubarb jam that was wonderful.

• indy452
    15 years ago

Hi, while rummaging around this eve I found this thread.

I have a large mulberry tree that has so many the branches just literally sagged. The trouble I have with mulberry is they tend not to have much flavor. Does this sound accurate to you mulberry tree owners? I've never had one till I bought our current home and I've been contimplating using these berrys but how? I guess this thread is my answer huh.

Neal

• canadiangardener2008
    15 years ago

Here is a link to a foolproof mulberry jelly recipe. It has step by step instructions with pictures.

http://mulberryjellytheeasyway.blogspot.com/

• wallyg
    15 years ago

when i prepare mulberrys for jelly do i add water to the berries when i cook them or just put them in the pot wirhout water

• jstewartfarquhar_yahoo_com
    14 years ago

Read with great interest, as my tree is going insane. I have canned (for the first time) more than 30 jars of jam. About stems: I've made many batches with stems on, on theory that nature makes good stuff (removing rice hull ruins its mineral content, for example). Everyone loved the taste anyway, and the stems seem to break down. I did one batch for gifts by removing stems with scissors. A lot of work, and probably will not do again. I, too, think the berries are little bland. I add lemon and lime zest and almost 1/2 cup of lemon juice to the jam (5 cups crushed fruit, 4 cups sugar, low sugar pectin)and the taste was fabulous, incomparably better than the recipe that just called for sugar. My husband said it was the best jam he's ever had, and my daughter is eating it out of the jar as if it were ice-cream. Good thing since I'm heading back out to the tree! Does anyone have more recipes for canning? I liked the sound of the chipolte sauce. Can that be preserved? Thanks!

• bjmeltz
    14 years ago

I've started swapping out the lemon zest in mulberry jelly and muffins for black caps (aka black raspberries), which are also quite tart. The result is super-yummy!

• kymidiva
    13 years ago

awesome! my husband makes wonderful mulberry pie, but i'm ready for something different. he's out picking more mulberries right now, so i'm hoping for something wonderful later today!

thanks for all these fabulous recipes! :)

• mrhfwphiggins_hotmail_com
    12 years ago

First mulberries of 2011! Here in CA just got our first berries today! I went to the neighbors who are novices and they taught ME something. After growing up every year collecting berries on old sheets, they showed me an easier way!
    They had some sheet plastic that comes in a roll. Like the kind painters use, that unfolds to be about 10 feet wide. Just roll out several sheets of plastic on the ground below your tree (cutting the roll to size as you lay it out.) Then use rakes or other long handled tools to shake the branches. If you have an 8 year old handy, you can get them to climb up and shake the branches too!
    So lucky to have white mulberries today as I have not had them since I was a kid. I agree, they are very sweet, and do not have the flavor of the purple ones, but then they don't stain your skin or ruin your clothes either!
    I was so excited to see all these recipes here! My neighbor and I collected about 10 gallons of berries tonight, we didn't even get all the way around either tree, and the harvest has just started! Guess what we will be doing all week! Just glad there is freezer space!
    Can't wait to try all these recipes! Thanks again!

• aligreen_pacbell_net
    12 years ago

I'm making a Mulberry Shrub tonight. It is a basic fruit syrup to add to sparkling water for a natural summer soda. I was thrilled to see mulberries on the biggest mulberry tree (Mother Mulberry) of our new house. The previous owner told me that the mulberry trees didn't fruit - guess a lot of people don't like the mess -so I was very excited to find that half of the mulberry trees did indeed fruit! The cedar waxwings love them too. I have found that the only problem with the sheet method is that I collect bird poops along with the berries. Those of you who like Jane Austen novels AND mulberries - Colonel Brandon has a big mulberry tree on his estate.

• cindy_demco_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

This is my third year canning mulberry jelly. I just finished about 26 1/2 pints of jelly, and I will be making more jelly and mulberry vinegar dressing tomorrow. The jelly is the best I've ever had, and my family jokes that they will disown me if I ever stop making it. The vinegar dressing is an experiment from jelly that didn't set last year. A friend of mine used some of my berries for jelly and it didn't set, so she mixed about 1 to 1.5 part mulberry syrup to 2 part white wine vinegar. It tasted wonderful and I am hoping to reproduce it and can it. Does anyone know any good canning recipes for this? I assume 2 parts white wine vinegar should be sufficient for water bath canning?

• caliloo
    11 years ago

Wow - it is amazing what a google search can find. As pitiful as the GW search is, I am so glad this one popped up on Google! But I digress....

While I was foraging in the woods behind my house (looking for bluebells and morels) I discovered a half tipped over Mulberry tree. This thing is/was huge, but now half of it is accessible without climbing! Needless to say I was astounded at the number of geren mulberries that are easy to reach, now I just have to watch it an beat the birds to them!

Alexa