SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cregacho

Replaced downdraft cooktop with non-downdraft cooktop...help

cregacho
15 years ago

Hello,

I have replaced my 16 year old 4 burner natural gas cooktop with downdraft with a 5 burner natural gas cooktop without a downdraft. I would not consider the cooktop a large/commerical style cooktop. I wanted some sort of ventilation and I chose a hood vent since it doesn't seem like there would be enough room to add a telescoping downdraft behind the cooktop. After reviewing I found it would basically not be possible to add new ductwork for the hood vent and I was told connecting to the existing ductwork for the downdraft wouldn't work (vent hood would not be strong enough to connect to the downdraft and also to connect to existing downdraft would require 3 elbows and about 8ft. of additional ductork). The hood vent can be converted to a recirculating model though. From what I was told, a recirculating hood vent works fine as long as you keep up with cleaning the grease catching mesh filters/gills as well as the charcoal filters. A salesperson told me that they felt that other than maintaining the filters, the only negative is the re-circulated air would still be warm and have all the moisture in the air. So is it really that ineffective to use a recirculating system, and also could I have the vent connect to the adjacent garage instead of recirculating into the kitchen?

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz