SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amgboord

Replacing old 46.5" Jenn-Air cooktop with downdraft

9 years ago

I have a 30+ year old Jenn-Air electric cooktop with downdraft which is on its last legs. Originally we were going to remodel the entire kitchen, including replacing all the cabinets (which need it), but our budget has just shrunken considerably and now we are considering keeping all the cabinets in place and replacing only the appliances for now.

Unfortunately, my appliances are all old and the cut-outs don't fit any of today's standard sizes. It looks as if we may be able to trim our wall oven cabinet to accept a 27 inch oven (my oven is 26 inches), but I am wondering if we will have to replace the countertop in order to put in a new cooktop, as ours is 46.5 inches and nothing will fit into that space exactly.

So I have a few questions:

Can the existing countertop be trimmed to allow a 48 inch cooktop?

Can downdraft be used with gas? The cooktop is not against an exterior wall, and it may or may not be vented outside; I don't know. It's a downdraft system, but cold air comes inside through the grill in wintertime.

Our other option is to replace the countertops and put in a 36 inch induction cooktop with a downdraft. That option would not require running gas (cost savings) and the cooktop would be less expensive, but it would require new countertops. I'm not sure how that would work out cost-wise in the end.

Comments (7)