SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mewsician

review of new American Standard estimate

mewsician
9 years ago

I received this advice from tigerdunes last year, to replace my 2 ton American Standard heat pump unit and was VERY happy to get it (1066 sq ft. house, good insulation, good clean ductwork, 34 yrs old, north Florida).

"I would look at 2 ton AS Heritage 13 with GAM5030 air handler or TAM7030 var speed air handler. Add a 7 KW heat strip. Ask for HW mdl 8321 for best dehumidification in cooling.

I see no reason for a two stage condenser. A waste of money. Since cooling is more important to your location, you want the higher SEER. The TAM7-030 air handler paired with the Heritage 13 condenser gets you to 15 SEER. I would expect your cooling costs to be reduced apprx 20%."

I have not had to replace my unit, but want to be prepared. So I've requested three quotes from the most experienced HVAC companies in town. There are no American Standard authorized dealers here. The temperatures here are already in the mid 90s and heat indexes will be 98-100 soon. The best company (the first quote), has a three week waiting period to replace HVAC units, and I'm trying to forestall that long a wait, if my system dies.

I asked the three companies for a quote for:

2 ton American Standard Heritage 13 with:
TAM7030 var speed air handler.
7 KW heat strip.

I've gotten two quotes so far:

1st quote: "approximately $6,300 if the work is completed by Aug. 1, 2014."

2d quote:

EQUIPMENT: AMERICAN STANDARD 2- TON
AIR HANDLER: AAM7A0B30H21 VAR. SPEED
HEAT STRIPS: BAYEVAC08LG 8 KW
COND UNIT: 4A6H3024C1 15 SEER
THERMOSTAT TH6220D1002 PROGAMMABLE

Standard manufacturer's warranty: 10 years on compressor, outdoor coil. 10 years on indoor coil and 10 years all other functional parts. Must be registered. One year on labor.

Total cost: $5,948, until June 30, 2014

I have only one question: are components listed in the second quote equal to what I asked for, and if not, what needs correction? Notice that the 2d quote doesn't say American Standard Heritage 13. And I would certainly like to avoid a compressor made in China. . .

I would soooooo appreciate your opinion.

Comments (5)