SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
idixierose

Bamboo needles -- love 'em or hate 'em?

idixierose
18 years ago

I just got rid of most of mine. No love lost.

Here's my experience with bamboo needles:

Back in July, I posted a message about my slow progress knitting a pair of socks. There were a couple of reasons for my slowness -- 1. I hadn't knitted in 15 years and the socks were my first new project. 2. Bamboo needles.

I became interested in knitting again when I wandered into a yarn shop while on vacation. The self-striping sock yarn caught my eye and a helpful saleslady recommended the bamboo needles.

She gushed on how light and "warm" the bamboo felt in the hands. What she didn't mention is that yarn seems to stick to bamboo. I found it slow work, knitting the stitches off those little size 2 bamboos. All along, I thought it was the skinny fingering weight yarn that made my knitting so slow. I plugged along with the first sock for a month, telling myself that knitting was supposed to be fun and relaxing and wondering why I was having to work so hard at it.

Then I bought a set of size 3 bamboos and some sport yarn. Those socks went a little faster. Then one day I was in the yarn dept. at AC Moore and on impulse, I bought a set of

Susan Bates Silvalume needles.

Wow! What a difference the metal needles make!

The sharp needle points get into the stitches easily and stitches glide off the needles quickly and smoothly.

The only bamboo needles I do like are the large sizes where metal ones can feel really heavy.

Comments (11)

Sponsored
More Discussions