SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lvtgrdn

Squirrels and Rabbits-Love 'em/Hate 'em or just co-exist?

lvtgrdn
15 years ago

I have to plant enough lettuce to share with the rabbits every year, but it still irritates me that they like my romaine and buttercrunch the best, and then this year thought they should compete with me for the little row of kale I had planted. I put some fabric lawn protector that I had put on to protect against the frost over where my peas were planted and left it long enough so that the rabbits wouldn't eat them to the ground like they have in the past.

I use Liquid Fence a few times a season, but I think it's lost its effectiveness. I've noticed their jagged teeth marks on my new fall lettuce that's coming up. :o(

The squirrels in our neighborhood are what have me going nuts (a bit of a pun). What I hate the most is all the digging, including digging plants out of my pots. Our neighbor has a corn feeder, and the squirrels love to bring the cobs to our yard to munch on. Right now, with all the sunflowers they are taking off my plants, leaving my plants looking unsightly, my neighbors are probably unhappy with the messes the squirrels are making dragging the sunflowers to their yards. I had hoped that if they were eating the seeds, they may dig less, but it doesn't look like that worked. They are so greedy and nasty, and they tease my dog, and sometimes scold me for being in my yard. They don't pay the taxes!

Part of me wants to find the best strategies of living with the squirrels, but another part wants to buy up all the cayenne pepper I can find, and dust my yard with it.

How about you? What are your experiences with critters?

Sue

Comments (16)

Sponsored