SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dottieq

As American as Apple Pie

dottieq
15 years ago

Just a lurker but decided to post today. Even though Barack Obama was not my candidate of choice, I am having a "Proud To Be an American" party in honor of this history making event. After all this is why so many died during the Civil War and now their deaths were not in vain. I am having what I call a "As American as Applie Pie" dinner. When I think of a typical American meal, I think of turkey, hamburgers, hot dogs, pot roast mac and cheese or meatloaf...kind of comfort foods.

I'm having-- appetizers: shrimp with cocktail sauce, pigs in a blanket, a cheeseball (haven't made a cheeseball in thirty years) for salad, an iceberg lettuce wedge with choice of blue cheese dressing or Russian dressing, Main course, Meatloaf, a slightly jazzed up version of the stringbean and mushrom soup casserole, a corn casserole,and mashed potatoes. Dessert of course will be Apple Pie (ala mode if you choose.) Not exactly a low cal or heart healthy dinner but those retro meals were not. A small portion of everything to end the Holiday binge will suffice. What would be your idea of a "As American as Apple Pie" menu?

Comments (16)