SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chrisbrooks_gw

Alternative cooling ? Middle Ga. Home cooling

chrisbrooks
12 years ago

I need some serious feedback! I have an 1895 Victorian, about 3800 sq.ft. but we did it right. Foamed the walls, floors, all new everything; a/c upstairs(2ton) and 5 ton downstairs. It cools fine, but it's big and with only 3 of us, we only use about 2 rooms most of the time. Practically a new home.

I've was studying underground piping for cooling but I have a new though. I can not use swamp coolers because it's to humid in Middle Ga.

I have a well that the water is about 49-58 degrees. If I build a box with a cage fan and use small radiators (designed for this purpose; not auto radiators), to pass the cold well water thru, wouldn't this work to cool the air for a room or two? I would design it to use a thermostat to open a valve when the water reached about 70 degrees and have it to RETURN the water back to the well (I have an opening to do so on the well). What I'm visioning is, the air would pass a hundred or so coils with circulated cold water all the time. I understand I need to also consider humidity dropping and cycle that out. Keep in mind, I'm not talking about passing air over a wet pad. I'm leaning toward passing air over cold coils that might be as deep as 3 feet. I really would like some detailed opinions. I'll email drawing if I have to. Best regards. Chris - Macon Ga.

Comments (2)