SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carina_matthews

Kitchen peninsula or island table for a cool modern home?

Carina Matthews
4 years ago

Houzzers I need your help. We are building a high end modern, water front spec home and the kitchen will have water views to the North and West. Kitchen dimensions are 12'5" x 17'1" with a wall of glass along the 17'1" North wall that leads to a balcony. Both options place the 48" range and hood on the 12'5" East wall with a feature tile and lower cabinets.

Option 1: uses a decorative table approximately 10'6" x 30" with 8 stools tucked underneath as a large gathering spot and work surface at counter height. This design places the sink, a 48" refrigerator, and a 30" coffee station AGAINST the South wall. I am into lighting so I plan 3 pendants over the table - not thrilled they will block the view of my range and hood.

Option 2: uses a half wall shortening the windows on the North wall allowing for lower cabinets and sink placement in front of a window. A peninsula then provides seating for 5. The South wall still holds the refrigerator and coffee station and is outfitted with 2' deep storage to complete the wall. Again I would use pendants over the peninsula.

This home may be a second home for our eventual buyers (we build everything with resale in mind.) Our architect feels storage can be compromised for the aesthetic - I also want to capitalize on the view.

Is the loss of an "island" and the change in the window wall worth the trade for sink view and more storage?

Does a peninsula date the home? Or does it make sense for function and beauty????

I need to hear your thoughts on this one... thx

Option 1:

Option 2:

Pardon my Google Sketchup quick drawings....

I promise the backsplash will be tasteful.

Comments (40)