SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cooperbailey

Hooping? Hope someone here hoops!

cooperbailey
11 years ago

I seem to remember someone on the HD started hooping last year or so ago. I just started to hoop. Well, practicing anyway, it was soooo much easier back when I had my pink Whammo hula hoop!

My DH made a couple of hoops for us yesterday and I have been practicing for a few minutes here and there- don't want to break myself.LOL

Anyhoo- any advice or thoughts on how best to re-learn? Utube?

I am hoping it just wears away the fat on my middle. hehh

heh and I want a lighted one someday. :)

TIA!

Comments (39)

• SunnyCottage
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Cooper, I was one of the hoopers. Who else? Terriks? Oh, how my memory fails me these days!

One thing: Are you using weighted hoops? I think those are the best for firming up the midsection. I still have mine, but haven't used it in awhile. (I really should though!) At first, I bruised from hooping so I wore a wide neoprene belt, and it helped tremendously. I know there are numerous "how to" videos on Youtube. Just aim to hoop for a few minutes at a time, and you'll be able to work yourself up to a fairly lengthy workout. I was doing about 20-25 minutes at a time when I was hooping regularly. (I know I'll have to go back to a couple of minutes at a time at this point, though!)

• ellendi
    11 years ago

Does this really work for a woman in her lae 50's?

• Related Discussions

Picture of new Hoop Buildings

Q

Comments (9)
    Tcstoehr- I did use plain plastic sheeting. It cost $18 and I had a $10 off coupon. For that price, I could not justify spending more on greenhouse film. It does get warm in there, fast! It was 60 degrees outside and mostly sunny last weekend. The thermometer read about 100 degrees! It felt really nice. I thought about getting out the beach lounge chair and take a nap! The soil is warming very well. I will have to open the door and window on the other end to get good airflow. My wife is home 2 days a week and I will just have to open them up before I leave on the other 3 days. If that doesn't work, I will have to rope a friend into doing it for me. I plan on leaving the plastic on, but who knows. Only the summer will tell. We had quarter to golfball size hail here last night, not very heavy, but the buildings are just fine!
    ...See More

Homemade Hoop House Shade Cover Question

Q

Comments (1)
    Are you planning to remove the poly in summer? That would be my plan, just shade cloth in summer. Poly plus shade cloth in winter. The most durable and best for the money shade cloth is woven black polypropylene. I use 30% but also have a very good evaporative cooling system which is a lot more effective cooling in the desert than anything else. You might want 40-50% shade cloth. Mine has lasted 10-40 years of part time use.
    ...See More

Winter veggies in hoop house, Zone 9 California

Q

Comments (3)
    Hey jlerwill and imstblnow: I feel the same EXCEPT I'm in a cold Zone 4 and I let go a big sigh when I see all the info on zone 5, 6 & 7. How I envy those zoned winters!!! (OMG, you'd think after 58 years of Iowa winters that I'd stop whinning!) I think I'd like to start a fan club called "Zone 4 with 30 mph north winds from October to April" for people that are crazy enough to LOVE gardening, greenhousing and ponding :-). Sign me up for the "Hi, I'm Beck and I can't be seed, greenhouse or pond free for more than one day" meetings - hee hee. Good luck in Zone 9, I'm sure you fight the heat like we fight the cold! Happy gardening from NW Iowa.
    ...See More

Help with hoop house for my raised veggie bed

Q

Comments (1)
    Those pipes are seriously bent and under a lot of pressure. I think I would cut them in half right at the peak and glue some to fashion a little A frame, or more accurately That should relieve some of the pressure which may alleviate the bowing bottom. If not the clothes line isn't horrible but a couple Ts and another piece of PCV between hoops 2 and 3 attached across the bottom will do the trick. Of course, you'd have to plant around that piece.
    ...See More
  • SunnyCottage
    11 years ago

Well, it certainly worked for me in my late 40s. I do think the key is to use a weighted hoop though. I've linked to the kind that I have.

Here is a link that might be useful: Acu Hoop 3 lb

• cooperbailey
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I am 59 and I don't really care whether it works or not to tell the truth! and I don't mean that in a snarky way.It looks like so much fun at the festivals, and it is certainly aerobic exercise for me. I am only trying a little bit at a time, so I don't over do it. Right now it feels so awkward, which is why I posted.
    I am not using a weighted one right now, but DH did make one sized for beginners. He has one too. We will DIY other, smaller and perhaps weighted as we progress. I really really want an LED one!
    I think it can help my flexibility. And I know it can be meditative, as well.
    Next thing is to start with some yoga videos and I will be all set.
    Thanks SunnyC for the link. Did you progress to any dance moves? Watched some Hoop Camp videos,I think that looks so cool.

• SunnyCottage
    11 years ago

What fun, Cooper, that your DH is doing this with you! Somewhere I do remember seeing instructions for making your own weighted hoops. I progressed to "my" version of dance moves ... but it wasn't anything I'd want to do in front of anyone else. ;-) Still - I had such fun, and really should take it up again. You're inspiring me!

• judiegal6
    11 years ago

Its a misconception that the heavier the more weight you lose. If you try it yourself you'll see that it is actually easier to keep the hoop going when it is heavier and harder when lighter. I had a 5 lb. that I could keep going for over 30 minutes with ease, but left me bruised. I moved to a 3lb. hoop which is a little harder to keep going, but I'm getting there.
    Terricks is the expert.

Weighted Hoops: The Great Weight Debate!

"Can you make me a five pound hula hoop?" "Do you have any seven pound hula hoops for sale?" "How much weight is right for me?" These common questions are asked over and over again. "I need to lose a lot of weight so I need a heavy hoop".

In an effort to answer this question I have relied on my own experience hooping, and working with thousands of people who have purchased my hoops and the comments I have received over the years. I read articles on hooping and constantly scan "hooping.org" and the web for articles or stories related to the "size" question. In addition I�ve asked health professionals their opinion of hooping in general and size and weight in particular. How many times have we heard from people who have bruises running around their mid-section from "ribs" or too heavy a hoop? I don�t think the term "No Pain, No Gain" was meant to include hooping. Hooping should be looked at as a fun, effective way to lose weight, or just groove on the great feeling that hooping provides. If you are experiencing bruising from hooping you should stop and examine your hoop and your hooping routine.

Hoop makers and sellers have done the general public a disservice by telling everyone that they should get a "weighted" hula hoop. I don�t feel qualified to speak for everyone, but when I have used the term "weighted hula hoop" it has been to simply differentiate the so called adult hoops from the plastic toy hoops found at many brand name toy stores.

It is no secret that a larger, and yes heavier hoop is easier to use than the lightweight toy hoops. This has led many people to believe that the heavier the hoop the more weight they will lose. I don�t think there is a health or physical fitness professional who could make this claim. Like any other exercise you lose weight by utilizing oxygen and burning fat. You need to get your heart rate up to at least 65-85% of it�s maximum or you are not working in the fat burning zone. It is the act of hooping, the movement and exertion involved in maintaining hoop rotation that ultimately results in weight and inches lost. The more time you spend hooping the more oxygen you've utilized and the more fat is burned and the more weight is lost.

This would lead me to believe that the ideal weight loss hoop would be one in which a person can maintain the hooping rotation for the longest period of time while burning the maximum number of calories. The individual can choose between a smaller lighter hoop which will require more energy per rotation, which would provide a better aerobic workout, or a larger heavier hoop that, while requiring less energy per rotation, would allow the individual to hoop for a longer period of time to reach their fat burning zone. I equate this choice to the difference between running and walking for exercise.

We also know that "weight" in almost any exercise adds "resistance". The added resistance should make the muscles work harder, leading to weight loss benefit and muscle strength and toning. However, we also know that the larger heavier hoops rotate more slowly thus reducing the aerobic benefits of hooping. Where is the point of diminishing returns related to resistance and aerobic benefits?

Unfortunately this still doesn�t answer the original question about size and weight for any particular person. Hooping.org, in a simple "How To Hula Hoop" instruction sheet, recommends that the hoop, when standing in front of you, reaches between the your belly button and the middle of your chest. My experience selling hoops to people at fairs and festivals tells me this is a good start for selecting the right hoop. I look at their body type and suggest a hoop for them. Almost always this is intuitive based on the size of the individual. After trying the hoop and seeing the level of hooping expertise we often come to the conclusion that a smaller or larger hoop might be a better fit. You must also ask yourself why you are buying a hoop in the first place. If the person is planning to use the hoop for exercise they almost always choose the smaller and lighter hoop because they know they will be getting a better workout.

If purchased for family or party fun I recommend a larger hoop as it is important for first timers to be successful hooping. I also never recommend adult hoops for smaller children as I am concerned with possible damage to their smaller bodies and body organs being so close to the surface. Kids have a ton of energy and seem to like the energy output required to maintain hooping with a smaller lighter weight hoop. It makes me tired just watching them.

My experience has led me to believe that a hoop of between 32 and 45 inches in diameter and weighing between one and two pounds is ideal for all types of hooping. Not too large or too heavy to cause damage, but big enough to make hooping easier for the beginner and expert alike. It is also easier to do tricks with a lighter hoop moving the hoop up and down the body.

If anyone knows of a study on the effects of hooping related to size and weight I would very much like to see it. It would be great if the many claims made about hooping could be substantiated with some empirical testing by professionals. Your comments would be appreciated. Thanks and Happy Hooping!

Footnote added: We don't recommend any hoop over 3 lbs. Although the natural weight of Canyon Weighted Exercise Hoops is 2 lbs or less weight can be increased by adding water following simple no leak instructions. You can read some of the comments this article raised by going to hooping.org magazine's archives.

• allison0704
    11 years ago

DH has always exercised, but always had trouble getting rid of the last bit of fat in his belly - then he started doing CrossFit (in addition to cardio). The man is one lean machine at 56yo. It works for women too (seeing before/after pictures).

• cooperbailey
    Original Author
    11 years ago

SunnyC- life is too short to worry about dancing in front of others!
    judie- thanks for that info. I have been scoping out hooping.org and others.
    So, my hooping ladies, did it take a bit of practice to keep it moving around your waists? or was that easy for you?
    I have been watching videos to see technique. It sure is fun trying!
    alison -oooh good for your DH! ;)

• terezosa / terriks
    11 years ago

Hooping? Did someone say Hooping?

Yes, I was the one who introduced hooping to the forum a few years ago. I started out with the 3 pound hoop that SunnyCottage linked to, but have graduated to lighter weight "dance" hoops. As judiegal posted, the larger, heavier hoops are easier to keep going. The smaller, lighter ones give you a better work out.

I started when I was just over 50, and hooping completely transformed my midsection. I was getting the dreaded "meno-pot", and now can bare my middle in a bikini. I had such great success in shedding the midriff bulge that I actually won a "fat to fit" contest at my gym by losing the greatest percentage of body fat! When they took my measurements they told me that the greatest improvement was in my midsection.
    I continue to hoop almost every day, and find it to be both energizing and relaxing at the same time. I took some hoop dance classes a while ago, and can now do a lot of the "tricks" that you might see on YouTube videos or at festivals.

When you are starting out, just remember that you don't move your hips in a circle, it's more of a rocking back and forth movement.

A good source for instructional videos and hoops is Hoopnotica.com

• cooperbailey
    Original Author
    11 years ago

terriks! you rock! how wonderful that you have continued with it! And congratulations on losing so much body fat It is so encouraging that you are just a few years younger than I am. I will go look at Hoopnotica.com right now!

thanks everyone for your advice!

• marlene_2007
    11 years ago

Thanks to Terriks, I was introduced to hooping when I was 61. I found it so easy that I didn't think I was doing it correctly. I also ended up losing inches...too many actually. My waist was about 23 inches! (Oh, and I also gave up my addiction to raw almonds...one package of Trader Joe's every three days at the same time I started hooping).

Today, at 64, I still hoop occasionally (and only go through a bag of raw almonds every four days :))...it's so much fun. But for some reason, using the elliptical or treadmill and doing weight training makes me feel mentally better. I also feel like I'm getting a better workout...although I'm sure just hooping would do the job.

• terezosa / terriks
    11 years ago

Hooping isn't my only exercise. I also do run/walk intervals on my treadmill and lift weights, both of which I was doing before I started hooping. But nothing changed the shape of my body like hooping did.

• cooperbailey
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I remember when you all started talking about hooping and I was jealous.It was either just before or after my surgeries. So I am glad you responded to help! Now it's my turn to hoop!

• terezosa / terriks
    11 years ago

I probably shouldn't post this here, but I wanted to show you what hooping has done for my body, to provide encouragement to others. Remember I do other exercise too! I will be 55 next month:

• judiegal6
    11 years ago

Getting out my hoop!

• marlene_2007
    11 years ago

lol judiegal!

Terriks....great pic!

• tinam61
    11 years ago

You look great Terriks!!! I talked about getting a hoop before - you are just the encouragement I need! Thanks for sharing.

tina

• terezosa / terriks
    11 years ago

Thanks, I was apprehensive about posting that, but I wanted to encourage others. We are going to Maui in 2 weeks, so I'm thrilled that I can still wear a bikini!

• cooperbailey
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Great inspiration pic! you look amazing! I have been hooping every day, for about 10 mins. well hooping and picking it up. I can't keep it going for 10 minutes. But I am enjoying the process.
    You really are inspiring, thanks!

• ellendi
    11 years ago

Yes, you have given me inspiration to try hooping. Would you mind sharing what a routine for beginners should be, and what you have to work up to to see at least some results?

• terezosa / terriks
    11 years ago

It's been over three years since I started, and I could barely keep the hoop going for 30 seconds! When I learned not to try so hard, and to not move my hips in a circle, but rather back and forth, I was able to hoop longer. I would start with 5 minutes once or twice a day, and work up from there. The Hoopnotica website has hoops and instructional videos, and you can also find hooping videos online.
    I normally hoop counter clockwise, and it was over a year before I could go clockwise. When I bought my first hoop from Sports-Hoop.com they only had the wavy hoops. If I were buying from them now I would get the Trim Hoop, an no heavier than 3 lbs. The heavier ones don't give a better work out. Another fitness hoop that looks promising is from BettyHoops.
    Now when I hoop I usually do a half hour. I record the Daily Show and hoop during that pretty often. If I come home from work tired, hooping perks me up.

Here is a link that might be useful: Old Hoop Thread

• cooperbailey
    Original Author
    11 years ago

terriks thanks for posting that old hoop thread! There were sure a lot of GWers that joined the hooping crew! And a lot of insights as everyone began to hoop.I am so glad that now I can hoop too.It is good to be well again!
    My DH made ours, and as I progress he will cut it down to make it smaller for me.
    And did no one notice my alliteration in the original subject line? :)

• terezosa / terriks
    11 years ago

I'm glad that this subject has come up again, because I just love spreading the hooping word! I'm so glad that you can hoop now Cooper.
    Instead of cutting down your original hoop you should just make a new one. It's good to have a variety of sizes. When you are practicing a new move it is helpful to use a larger hoop. I have several hoops, and loan them out occasionally. Right now I want to get a hoop from Troo Hoops that breaks down into 8 segments for travel. They also have the LED hoops. In fact, I think that I will order one for my upcoming birthday, which is this month, not next as I posted earlier. Still can't believe it's September already!

• cooperbailey
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That is a good point about making smaller and keeping the larger for new moves. I want to be able to walk and do a lot of dance moves. someday.
    I hoop, pick up and start over for about 10 minutes. then I march in place with my hoop, kinda like I used to for a cool down from step aerobics.
    thanks again for your encouragement! and again you look amazing, ageless.

• allison0704
    11 years ago

You look great, Terriks!

Now that I've had more time to read about Hooping, I think I'll get one. I always loved it as a kid and when my children had them. I went to Hoopnotica, but it doesn't really tell you how to decide what size hoop to get - Judiegal's article was helpful with the 32"-45" diameter 1-2 lbs, but is there something else I need to know?

What size/weight do you all use?

• cooperbailey
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have read on several sites that the beginner hoop should be be between your belly button and your ribcage. We measured up a bit from my belly button and decided on 40 inches. We made ours and they are not weighted, so I am thinking that it is about a pound of tubing and connector. Terriks would be able to suggest a weight.I aim more to become proficient with the hoop,walking with it,dance moves, more than I am targeting weight loss. Not that I don't need it! I do! ( right now any voyeur would say are you kidding me??)but I think it will happen naturally the more I move and eat healthily.
    I meant to mention earlier that I have no bruises from hooping. Yes I feel a bit tender when I hoop,but no bruising. It may be because I have a smooth hoop not wavy, and I do several 5-10min hooping ( and picking up dropped hoop and continuing)sessions per day,rather than one long one.I am hooked.

• allison0704
    11 years ago

Thanks. I found recommendations on the Betty Hoops site. Reading Troo Hoops now.

• newdawn1895
    11 years ago

I've been looking at mine for two years, and been meaning to use it. Terrics talked me into it, and just look at her, poor girl. (lol) You look amazing Terrics.

....Jane

• OllieJane
    11 years ago

You look great Terriks!! Have fun on Maui!

• caminnc
    11 years ago

Holy Cow terriks, you look fabulous!

• SunnyCottage
    11 years ago

Terriks ... DAAAAAY-UM! (I sound like Faron, don't I? ;-)) You look absolutely incredible, and yes, you are definitely inspiring me to get my hoop back out and start using it regularly! WOW! I do cardio regularly, but I certainly don't look like you. I'm motivated now!

• mahatmacat1
    11 years ago

Where is that hoop I made a few years ago?...

Wow, Terri. I'm fighting that d*mn meno-pot-belly and swimming and pilates aren't doing it.

Wow.

• allison0704
    11 years ago

My hoop arrived today - ordered from Troo Hoops. Will be starting tomorrow, since I've been up since 3am. Goodnight, everyone!

• cooperbailey
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have been hooping every day, in short sessions- 10 minutes- ( although I am still starting, stopping and picking up the hoop) Sometimes I hoop more than once a day.
    I noticed the flexibility of my spine has improved! Last night we went to a concert by our fav band Telesma and I danced like crazy - really dancing! In the past,I moved rather stiffly to the music as best I could. Additionally, I was able to dance the whole hour of the second set!
    Yay!!!!

• terezosa / terriks
    11 years ago

That's great cooper! We tend to think of hooping as helping our abs, but it is really a total core work out, improving the back also. I know men who have hooped to improve their golf game.

• OllieJane
    11 years ago

Which one do I get from Troo Hoops? I want to start!

• allison0704
    11 years ago

Size is based on your size. I ordered a 42" 4 piece collapsible sport weight fitness hoop and it seems HUGE. I did take out one piece (website doesn't suggest this) and it's small. The 8 pieces says you can take out 1-2 pieces, so 2 = 1 on mine.

Larger is easier to do, for beginners. There is a chart on their website, I'll try to post it here. I'm tall, and right on the line.

• terezosa / terriks
    11 years ago

I think that for a beginner I would get the 42" 8 piece sport weight hoop. The larger hoop really is easier to learn on, and you could take out a section without it being too small. The hoop I use most of the time is a lightweight 42", that was made for me by my hoop dance instructor.

Here's the chart:

Here is a link that might be useful: Troo Hoops chart

• OllieJane
    11 years ago

Thanks! I will get the 42" since I am a beginner.

Ok, Terriks! Here's hoping we all look like you soon! LOL