SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
txstarr_gw

Homemade Hoop House Shade Cover Question

TXStarr
11 years ago

Hi all!

Well, we just moved to the California High Desert area (approx 2350 above sea level) from Texas for the hubby's new job. We had to leave all our plants back in Texas and that was very upsetting, especially all my citrus trees. So he took it upon himself to build us a greenhouse! I'm so excited!

It is in the NW corner of our backyard, for a couple of reasons. That is the best place for it to get the morning sun. The fencing offers protection from the massive winds and dust storms we get here. In front, there is about a 40' tree that I hope will give a slight shade break during the day when the leaves come out depending on where the sun will be positioned during the summer. We are using Sun Selector Clear IR AD Greenhouse Film, 4 year 6mil (features an IR additive, Anti-Drip (AD) to reduce mold, UVA and dust protection, 88% light transmission & 25% light diffusion). He is also doing a venting system to help move the hot air out and give some air flow. He put down a tarp and we will have raised beds on the floor. Why the tarp? We were told there were moles that dig up and also, we are in the desert. Strictly sand here. Nothing else. We are doing 100% organic soil/compost. We are also going to create a lettuce wall on the back wall which is on the north side. No flowers and such here. This is solely going to be a working edible non-gmo/heirloom garden.

Now here is the question, considering that the summer temperatures get up to about 125-130 here on a daily basis with a blaring sun, what kind of shade cover would you suggest we use? I'm not looking at top of the line here. But reasonable/affordable. The other question is does the color of the cover make a big difference. I've seen them range from reds, blues, greens, blacks, tans and whites etc. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!!
K.D.

Comment (1)