SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stinky_gardener

Requesting feedback! (System inspection)

stinky-gardener
13 years ago

Today I got a checkup performed on my cooling system. I have not turned on the air conditioning this year yet. I get the furnace and CS inspected annually, and have been in the house 5 years this month.

The serviceman wrote on my invoice (& explained verbally) that while the cooling systmen seems to be in o.k. condition, the furnace is in very poor condition. Normally, they don't inspect the furnace this time of year, but something caught his eye while he was looking up there.

He went on to discover and wrote, that the "Heat exchanger was cracked or blocked/clogged. Furnace had to be disabled." In other words, he turned off the gas. He said it was not safe to leave it on. He said that when he comes back to do the Fall inspection/service he would clean it and re-evaluate it. However, he did not sound optimistic that cleaning it would render it functional again. The system dates to 1987. The air-conditioning, btw, is powered by electricity, not gas.

What is your take on this scenario? I know no one has a crystal ball, but is this fixable? Or, come Fall, do you think I should I expect to have to replace the system?

Any suggestions or feedback would be appreciated!

Comments (9)