SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dhenryp

hydronic forced hot air?

dhenryp
15 years ago

I've got a HVAC problem and builder friend said hydronic forced air may be a solution.

I live in a 2200 sq ft two story colonial outside of Boston. The house was originally heated by a ground water heat pump(water from well). The heat pump was original to the house (28 yrs) and noisy uncomfortable and unreliable. I'm not interested is resurrecting it. I want to heat with oil (no gas available) and cool with split central air.

I've got ductwork throughout the house and they appear to be properly sized for a 4 ton heat pump but it's centered in the middle of the house. I've got a good chimney with an extra flue but the supply and return plenums are a full 24 ft from the chimney.

Is it practical to install a boiler near the chimney and run the hot water the 24 ft to an air handler? I'm looking for an efficient system and nothing so unusual or exotic that it can't be serviced by a typical repairman from the local oil company.

I'm sorry for the long post bur will appreciate any opnions or experiences. Thanks.

Comments (3)