SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
teresa_nc7

New bread recipe - Fruit and Nut Breakfast Bread

teresa_nc7
12 years ago

Recently I sampled a Breakfast Bread that is sold by the Publix stores in Florida and elsewhere. It sells for over $4.50 for a small loaf. After searching on the internet and combining a couple of recipes, I made two delicious loaves with dried fruits, nuts, and mixed spice for a lot less cost. I'll freeze one loaf and enjoy the other loaf in the coming days. I plumped the dried fruit with warm leftover tea from breakfast - a Scottish Breakfast tea. This bread will make great gifts anytime of year too.

Here is the recipe if you are interested:

Fruit and Nut Breakfast Bread (similar to Publix Breakfast Bread)

1/2 cup milk

3 TB sugar (I used brown sugar)

2 TB honey

2 TB butter

1 t. salt

1 egg, beaten

2 t. instant yeast

1/2 cup warm water

1/2 t. to 1 t. cinnamon or English mixed spice

3 TB wheat germ

3-4 cups all-purpose flour (one cup can be whole wheat flour if desired)

1/2 cup diced dried apricots

1/2 cup dried cranberries

1/2 cup raisins, regular or golden

3/4 cup chopped walnuts or pecans

Plump the dried fruits in warm water or tea for 15 minutes or more; drain well.

Heat the milk, sugar, honey, butter, and salt in a bowl in the microwave for 1 minute until butter is melted. Cool slightly and add beaten egg.

Mix the yeast and warm water in a small bowl. When milk mixture is cooled to just warm, put it in a large mixing bowl or bowl of your electric mixer. Add the yeast mixture and stir well. Stir in the spice, wheat germ and flour. Mix well by hand or with mixer.

Add in the well drained, plumped fruit and the nuts. Knead by hand using flour sprinkles to help in the process or in the mixer with a dough hook for 2-3 minutes. Put dough in a greased bowl and let rise 1 hour or until doubled. Shape two loaves and put into greased 8"x4" bread pans. Cover with a clean towel and let rise until the dough almost reaches the lip of the pan.

Bake in a preheated 350F oven for 25-30 minutes. I checked my loaves at 25 minutes, then baked them for an additional 5 minutes. This dough will not rise very much over the edge of the pan because of the weight of the fruit and nuts. But my loaves did not turn out dense, thankfully.

Notes: I used 1/2t. of the mixed spice in this first try, but I think I will up the spice amount to 3/4 t. or 1 t. next time.

You could increase the amount of dried fruit to 2 cups and the nuts to 1 cup if desired.

It is very important to plump the dried fruit first or the large amount of fruit will suck up moisture from the bread dough and might leave it too dry. You could use brandy or other spirits if desired, but I think I will continue to use the warm leftover tea. You could use chopped dates, chopped prunes, diced dried apple, diced figs, dried cherries, or dried blueberries to substitute for the dried fruits listed. Drain the plumped fruits really well before adding to the dough.

Teresa

Comments (49)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!