SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
andrelaplume2

Ducts to second floor question...

andrelaplume2
16 years ago

I received some help on a prior post, now I have a more specific question. In brief, we have a 20 year old well insulated Colinial with a 20 year old Trane heat pump. We moved in this past November. Heat was evenly distributed thru the entire house in the winter...which was odd because I would have thought it would have been several degrees warmer upstairs since hot air rises.

Now warmer days are here and it 10 degrees hotter upstairs than downstairs. The thermostat is downstairs and must be set at 65 to get it 74 upstairs.....but hten its too cold downstairs.

Based on some feedback in a prior post, I went to the unfinished, basement, pulled back the insulation in the ceiling, found all the dampers for the first floor ducts and cut them way back reducing the amount of air going to the first floor. The idea being, less air on floor one should force more air to floor two and make the unit run longer to cool floor one hopefully cooling floor two better.

So far, I have not noticed a difference.

Now the new question. Would the ducts that run to the second floor have dampers? The problem is I do not see where the ducts that run from the basement to the second floor are AND if what I do see is the ducts (an not returns), I see no dampers. There does appear to be good air flow in all the bedrooms upstairs. In my sons room, his bed is over a vent, otherwise, nothing is blocking any of the others. The two baths only have air trickling out though---which I though might have been done on purpose---which made me think there were dampers somewhere.

If there are dampers to the second floor, perhaps they are partially closed and need to be opened...?

Do I need an attic fan maybe---there a buch of insulation in the attic and the roof is vented at the ends and peek.

Any ideas on what I can try next? I know the untit is old and do plan on replacing it. I wanted to get an idea of what the heating / cooling costs so I can see my savings when I get the new unit. I hate to spend 6K to 8K only toend up with a home that is too hot on the second floor. The home was owned by an 80 year old who, living there alone the past few years,I am betting, did not use the ac much.

Ideas...things I could try...

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida