SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tishtoshnm

Helping a kid adjust

I am in need of some wisdom/ideas for my 7 year old. He is the youngest of my 4 and just started 2nd grade at a new school. The district closed his previous school as the population in the district is declining. After the first week of school, they changed his teacher due to staffing needs at other grades. He has never, ever had behavior problems before. The work is not an issue, if anything it is too easy for him but I do not think the problem comes from not being challenged.

He has gone to the nurse a couple of times. The teacher said he was just laying his head down on the desk and not participating. One day, I brought him home as he did not take his allergy medicine that morning. The next day, he had his medicine and I made him tough the day out.

Yesterday, his teacher emailed me and said he was having a great day, like a completely new kid. We celebrated that night with waffle cone sundaes, whip cream, chocolate sauce. Today I get a call that he is just laying under the table, tipping over chairs, not participating. I talked to him on the phone and he seems upset by his behavior. I let him know if he does not participate in school, he loses his computer time. At home, his behavior is generally fine/normal. He has had a few incidents of wetting the bed but that could be that he is growing and the Benadryl at night. Bedwetting just goes in spurts and is not completely unexpected.

Does anyone have any ideas of how to address this with him, how to help him (he cannot identify what is wrong). It is not normal but it also cannot continue.

Comments (29)