SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bassmaster123

Grandparents only want to see MY kids, not my GF's kids

Adam X
8 years ago

Hello,

I have 2 daughters 4 and 5. My GF of 3 years has 2 boys 5 and 6. We've all been living together for over 2 years now. My parents (stepmom and dad) are retired and spend the majority of their time golfing and just hanging out. Before my GF and her kids moved in my girls would have sleepovers at my parents house once a week. It was fine up until the GF's kids started basically saying "What the heck! why cant we go!". Clearly the GF could sympathize with them and i understood the frustration as well as her parents have accepted my girls into their family with open arms from the get go. To a 4-5 year old they dont understand these kids get to go somewhere fun and get spoiled and come back wtih toys, etc.

So after talking to my parents they reluctantly agreed to allow the boys to come over with the girls but not sleepovers. They agreed to pick up all the kids from school 1 day a week for a few hours. Ok I was fine with that. The girls didnt get their weekly sleepovers anymore but if it meant all the kids got to go and be loved once a week then ok cool. **So some insight on how this works...my little one stays with them all day, my other one gets out of kindergarten at 1230 then afterschool program, her kids have a similar school schedule and her oldest and my oldest go to the same school/afterschool program but he's older and school gets out at 230 then goes to the afterschool program**.......Well...I was very clear that to get the kids at the same time so its "fair" (you see where this is going right?). I then find out that he was picking up mine at 1230 and then going to pick up her kids at 5pm and bringing them all home at 6pm. NOT COOL. And was very sneaky about doing it. When confronted about it he said he would stop doing that.

Well fast forward a month and they've flaked twice on watching my little one so there has only been 2 visits. Now they pick up all the kids at 5pm and bring them back at 6/630pm. The short amount of time doesnt exactly sit well with me because its been made clear to me that its because of the boys. The boys arent brats or bad kids by any means. They are harder than the girls but seem to always be on their best behavior around my parents whereas the girls are much more comfortable and act out more with my parents.

Ok so now the latest issue is this.........My grandma turns 80 next month and having some dinner thing a few hours away. My dad has offered to rent a motel room for me and the girls and NOT for my GF and boys. Remember Ive been with her for 3 years, living together in my house for 2 as 1 big family. Basically she's my wife. He made it very clear that this invite was only for me and my girls. I told him "yea thats not going to happen" and then he said "well can we just take the girls for the weekend". So i'm honestly about to say screw this and just cut them off. It's causing problems with me and my GF and i totally understand her view. I used to see the point from my parents that forcing 2 new grandchildren on them is probably difficult (my 2 are their only grandchildren). BUT its been 2 years and the kids are so little, its not fair to the kids. You try telling 2 little kids "no you cant go , they just want to see the girls because they are their REAL grandchildren". They have never offered to just watch the boys. Heck they never actually offer to watch any of the kids. They just want to golf and be retired, which is fine. It's just hard to watch as i came from grandparents that were very active and watched me all the time to help out on my dads and moms side of the family. I'm not really even looking for help. I'm just wanting for them to be fair

Any thoughts?

Comments (23)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida