SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jessyf_gw

Passover baked goodies

jessyf
16 years ago

Post 'em, I need 'em, pareve if possible, and NOT using 'Passover margarine' if possible also, I don't consider that stuff 'food' unless I have to. Sigh. I know. Don't get me started on Passover. Denise if I start ranting STOP ME

Here is one I found, but dang I prefer recipes that call for finished amounts like 1.5 cups cooked apples. I'll add more recipes later if I find any.

Damp Apple and Almond Cake

From Feast by Nigella Lawson

Ingredients

3 tart apples, such as Braeburn, Granny Smith or Jonathan

2 tablespoons lemon juice, divided

2 teaspoons sugar

Canola oil or spray to grease pan

8 eggs

3 1/4 cups ground almonds (may be sold as almond meal, which I've found at Whole Foods and My Organic Market)

1 3/4 cups superfine sugar (also known as caster sugar)

1/2 cup slivered or sliced almonds

Method

Peel, core and roughly chop apples. Place in a saucepan with 1 tablespoon of lemon juice and sugar, and bring to a boil over medium heat. You may need a wee bit of water to keep things moist. Cover, reduce heat, and cook for about 10 minutes, or until you can mash apple into a rough puree with a wooden spoon or fork. Remove from heat and allow to cool.

Preheat oven to 350. Grease 10-inch springform pan and line bottom with parchment paper.

In the bowl of a food processor, add eggs, ground almonds, superfine sugar, cooled apple mixture and remaining tablespoon of lemon juice, and whiz until combined. Pour batter into prepared pan, sprinkle with almonds and bake for about 45 minutes. Check after 35 minutes and test doneness with a toothpick inserted in center (should be nearly clean).

Cool for 10 minutes then remove sides of pan. Serve slightly warm. Keeps for about 1 week.

I've been saving a sealed container of walnut oil for this one:

Passover Banana-Nut Muffins

1/2 cup walnut oil, or other oil

3/4 cup granulated sugar, or more to taste

2 eggs

1/2 cup potato starch

3/4 cup matzo cake meal

1 teaspoon cream of tartar

1 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

3/4 cup walnuts or pecans, finely chopped

1 1/3 cups mashed banana

Spray a muffin tin with vegetable oil or line with muffin papers. Preheat the oven to 350 F.

In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat oil with sugar. Add eggs one at a time and continue beating. Add mashed bananas and combine well.

Combine matzo cake meal, potato starch, cream of tartar, baking soda, and ground cinnamon. Add the chopped nuts and incorporate.

Add the dry ingredients to the egg - banana mixture, until just combined. Do not overmix.

Pour the batter into the prepared muffin tins, filling them to the top.

Bake in a pre-heated 350 F. oven for 25-30 minutes or until the top is brown and a toothpick inserted in the center has moist crumbs.

Makes 12 muffins.

Amy Wasser-Simpson and Barbara Wasser

Comments (8)