SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lowspark1

Passover is coming!

lowspark
13 years ago

It's coming up on my favorite holiday!! My menu is going to be pretty much the same as last year's with some possible slight variations.

I made the brisket on Sunday and will slice it and freeze it tonight. Matzo ball soup, of course. Green veggie usually equals asparagus. Last year I also did brussels sprouts. Trying to decide if I should stick with those or do something different, broccoli maybe? I dunno.

Potatoes. Last year I just bought some tiny potatoes and roasted them with evoo, s&p & rosemary. EZ and good. I will most likely stick with that although I have a recipe for "french baked potatoes" which involves thinly sliced potatoes layerd in a baking dish, covereed with chicken broth and baked. It sounds really good.

For Ben, my vegetarian son, I discovered a WONDERFUL recipe for spinach matzo lasagna last year which I made for him in addition to veg MB soup. The lasagna was so good that since Ben took the leftovers back to school with him, I made another one for dinner later in the week.

And for dessert this year I think I'm going to make some meringue cookies. Light and simple.

What's your menu?

Here is a link that might be useful: NOT on my menu....

Comments (33)

• claire_de_luna
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

May, your menu sounds really good. I know it's already planned, but your mention of potatoes made me think of this recipe I saw on Everyday Food with mandoline sliced potatoes and shallots. I was intrigued enough to want to try them because the presentation looked outstanding, even though I haven't tried them yet myself. It's on my To Do Soon List! I love that your favorite holiday is Passover.

Here is a link that might be useful: Crispy Potato Roast

• lowspark
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow, is that pretty! I might have to think about that. Needs to be non-dairy so instead of butter I could use chicken fat. Thanks for the link!!

• Related Discussions

I'm not Jewish...

Q

Comments (61)
    Jessy, I certainly remember your boys. We had dinner at the Lebanese Taverna in DC. IIRC, your youngest son was preparing for his Bar Mitzvah at the time. Well, I made a preliminary batch of matzah balls last night using the Manischwitz recipe. I added some garlic powder. They were kind of soupy, so I had to add some more crushed matzah. I did them in salted water. I got the water a bit too salty, so the balls were a bit salty. I also didn't have a can of Progresso veggie soup as I thought, so I had to do them with tomato basil soup. Not my first choice for a soup, but not terrible. Anyway... After 40 minutes of cooking, the balls were nice and done. They were a little loose on the outside, but nice and dense and chewy on the inside, which is the way I like them. I'm definitely going to make them again, only this time in a proper soup. I'm also going to add minced sauteed onion, as I really like that flavor, as well.
    ...See More

Kids friendly Passover food?

Q

Comments (25)
    Thanks 1pink for your clarification. Ideefixe, I am not sure if Jewish temple is the same as synagogue. Don't know if we have a temple nearby. We do have a Jewish community in Calgary, but not anywhere near as big as the Muslim community which has many temples around the city. I have taken little man to one of the Muslim temples for a wedding ceremony, it was an interesting experience. But I haven't seen a Jewish temple myself. Isn't that funny how we interpret each others' message differently? I guess online communication creates a gap and that we often fall into it due to a lack of direct interactions i.e. facial expression and body language. When I did the Passover dinner, I had NO intention to teach the true cultures of Jews. Who am I to do so since I don't know much about Passover myself. My attempt was to raise awareness and acceptance so when little man meets someone with Jewish background he wouldn't be so ignorant. Plus, he would learn how to embrace diversity and to respect people regardless their cultures and background. That's the ultimate goal of my attempt. Lowspark! Your understanding to my intention is greatly appreciated. Yes, little man has just turned 8, two months ago, so he's still pretty young. Being a Chinese growing up in Hawaii, I have come to appreciate different cultures and practices. My husband who is a 100% white guy doesn't really understand why it's important for little man to learn about different cultures. But he still supports me so I consider myself lucky. It always saddens me to see one race/culture perceives themselves superior to others. I believe racism is fear based and that fear is due to a lack of knowledge. If little man has been exposed to cultural diversity he will not be afraid of someone who's different than himself, therefore chances for him to become a racist in the future will be slim, so I hope. AM, what smart children you have there! Kids are funny things... we hand them something and they cultivate the idea into something new. Isn't that great?! Annie, matzoh with cream cheese sounds delicious. I probably will do a simple Passover meal again next year. When I read about foods for Passover I couldn't believe how ignorant I was! This is a total eye-opening experience so I really should try again. Oh the matzoh balls... don't laugh... I need to get over some fears before moving on to the matzoh balls. My fear is not matzoh balls related but the impression of matzoh balls (dumplings in soup) reminds me of one Chinese sweet treat that I really didn't like. Those were some sticky dumplings with very sweet fillings, cooked in syrup or soup. The ball was very chewy (stuck between my teeth) and the fillings were sickening sweet. I remember eating one at a Chinese pre wedding party. I wanted so much to spit it out but didn't want to offend anyone so swallowed it. Until today, I am still afraid of trying anything that resembles these sweet little devils. LOL But hey, you said they're like chicken dumplings? I will make note and definitely will try to make some next year. Thanks Annie! Al
    ...See More

Question about Passover Baking??

Q

Comments (13)
    This thread got me to wondering why we only have wheat matzah (and the rare box of spelt matzah but of the 5 grains, spelt is closest to wheat - from what I've read it is a hybrid of wheat and a wild grass). So I googled and found that Osem has Rye Matzah this year. Amazon had it by the six pack and I was curious enough to order it. These aren't made with only rye, but neither is most rye bread - the ingredients list shows a mix of whole wheat and rye. At 4.5 grams fiber per slice vs. negligible fiber in the usual matzah, these should help avoid a frequent Pesach problem and "let my people go". :^) (Sorry I just couldn't resist.) I gave a couple of boxes to friends and sent one to Jessy so perhaps she can give another review. They are very thin matzahs, crispy crunchy, with a whole grain flavor (they don't taste like rye bread - not surprising since some of the typical "rye" flavor comes from caraway seeds). They make a nice change from the white wheat matzah. There is also a supplier of oat matzah. But that only seems to be made as specialty for those who can't tolerate wheat gluten and are okay with oats (which have a different kind of gluten) so the price is sky-high and I didn't get any. I didn't succeed in finding any commercially made barley matzah, but I found an interesting article by Deborah Mayaan who makes her own barley matzah. Here is a link that might be useful: Barley matzah
    ...See More

Easter/Passover menu?

Q

Comments (55)
    chloebud, I like that, thanks! I never did get a picture of the entire meal, but I did fancy up the banana cream pie by cutting tulips out of the pie crust scraps, sprinkling them with colored sugars and decorating the pie. The crust was Nathan's Never Fail Pastry, thinking fondly of SharonCB, who kindly shared the recipe a lot of years ago. It's the easiest pastry I've ever worked with, and nice and flaky. I also made something that's a tradition in my family, hard boiled eggs pickled in the brine from pickled beets. For extra color I also pickled some in a turmeric based brine and then left some plain, and made them all into deviled eggs. The beet pickled eggs turned red all the way through to the yolks, while the turmeric pickled ones only colored the outside, which surprised me for some reason. And, of course, I didn't manage to take a picture of the turkey, the hasselback potatoes, the sweet potatoes with apples and Italian sausage, the homemade Honey Rolls made from Sol's recipe. I do have an old picture of the gluten free lemon bars, though! Annie
    ...See More
  • happygram
    13 years ago

Hello Everyone,

I just realized that Passover is really coming, and soon!
    While I was browsing through some of the previous threads I've saved, I came across this recipe from Arabella Miller:

Dacquois
    2 cups ground toasted almonds
    1 tablespoon potato starch
    6 large egg whites, room temperature
    1 1/2 cups extra fine sugar

Now, this is my idea, and will it work? If so, how can I do it? And, could it be frozen successfully?

I thought that I could make a meringue circle about 1 1/2 inches high in, maybe, a springform, and then freeze it. My thinking is that I could top it with lots of fresh fruits and serve it for dessert. I also thought that maybe I could add some lemon zest or something like that.

Ideas, anyone?
    Thank you in advance.

Happygram

• amysrq
    13 years ago

I just got "assigned" the potato kugel. This is not part of my repertoire. (Don't even like eating it...) I guess the good thing is it will be inexpensive to make and easy to transport! Any great recipes to share?

• gellchom
    13 years ago

It's my favorite holiday, too. This will be the first one without both of our kidz; Thing Two is in Jerusalem for the semester. Sniff! But we'll see her soon. Thing One and Future Mrs. Thing One -- and her mom! -- along with my mom, brother, and brother-in-law will be here, and one of my husband's cousins for the second night. We will only have 16 the first night; keeping it simple because we leave for Israel on that Thursday and also because I want to play with FMTO's mom rather than cook cook cook.

We will have the usual, with the addition of a salad and the substitution of exactly the potatoes you are planning, May. And I vote for asparagus for you; I love asparagus and strawberries for seder because they say "Spring!"

strawberries, crudite (to nosh on at beginning)
    hard boiled eggs & boiled potatoes
    chicken soup & knedlach
    gefilte fish
    Brisket with wine and vegetables (already in freezer!)
    rosemary roasted potatoes
    asparagus
    kale salad (using that fake Pesach mustard)
    chocolate mousse cake
    strawberry fluff
    frozen pineapple-coconut bonbons
    matzo candy (of course)
    macaroons, candy, coffee, tea

Amy, I am not crazy about potato kugel, either. But Thing Two loves it, so I learned to make it for her, and even I enjoy this recipe. The first step makes it nice and brown. I hope you will, too. It's from The World of Jewish Cooking, by Gil Marks.

Potato kugel

(NOTE: I double this and bake it in a 13x9 inch dish)

1/2 c schmaltz or vegetable oil
    6 medium or 4 large russet potatoes (about 2 pounds), peeled
    2 medium yellow onions, chopped (about 1 cup)
    3 large eggs, lightly beaten
    about 1 T salt
    ground black pepper to taste
    1/4 cup gribenes or grated carrot (optional)
    about 1/3 c matza meal (can use flour rest of year)

1. Heat oven to 375. Heat 8- or 9 inch square baking dish in oven.

2. coat the bottom and sides of the baking dish with 1/4 c of the schmaltz or oil and return to the oven until very hot, about 15 minutes.

3. Place the potatoes in a large bowl of lightly salted cold water. (This keeps them from discoloring.) Grate the potatoes into the onions, stirring to mix.

4. Stir in the eggs, remaining 1/4 cup schmaltz or oil, salt, pepper, and, if desired, gribenes or carrots. Add enough matza meal or flour to bind the batter.

5. Pour into the heated dish and bake until golden brown, about 1 hour. Best warm, but you can serve the leftovers at room temperature.

Happy Passover, everyone!

• westsider40
    13 years ago

My kitchen is not done yet. The counters go in Wed., I hope, and the plumbing will be hooked up Friday. The house is a choatic dustbowl. Mostly everything kitchen related is still packed in boxes and bags.

But the oven is connected, not yet tested(and I haven't read the manual, shame on me). And I have been assigned a brisket. Hmmm, can you do a brisket in a microwave? I didnot think so. Maybe I can cook it at my dil's house, and make an extra one for her. She loves brisket.

Do you guys make the common recipe with chili sauce, onion soup, perhaps coke, and veggies?

Gellchom, that menu is daunting!

Enjoy the holiday, everyone.

• djg1
    13 years ago

"Do you guys make the common recipe with chili sauce, onion soup, perhaps coke, and veggies?"

Not here -- ample supply of sweet red peppers and onions, sauteed in olive oil first, adding garlic after a couple of minutes. A can of diced tomatoes and a bit of red wine. Dry rub on the meat before searing (kosher salt, smoked paprika, pepper), then cover with veggies, add a bit of wine, and everything in the oven.

• jessyf
    13 years ago

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! I'm not ready!

• lowspark
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The brisket recipe I use is from a poster over on the Kitchens forum years ago. Here it is:. I don't bother browning it first, so obviously no flour. The size bottle ketchup isn't specified, I use a medium sized bottle (24 oz?). I just pick up the size that looks right when I'm at the store. Or pour in whatever's in the bottle I currently have going in the fridge. It's not an exact science - just the blend of the three flavors makes for a wonderful sauce. I also added in more onions this year because they really melt away during those hours on the oven.

BRISKET Posted by: MOM23cali (My Page) on Mon, Apr 11, 05 at 7:41

Ok- I make this from memory- It was my Mom's recipe year after year all my life.She did not cook with exact measurements:
    1 3-5lb thin cut brisket
    1 or 2 spanish onions
    1 bottle heinz ketchup
    1 cup Heavy Malaga Kosher Wine
    1 box granulated brown sugar

coat the brisket in flour, salt, pepper and garlic powder and brown in skillet with olive oil

slice onions and lay MOST of them in glass baking pan
    combine the ketchup, wine and brown sugar -stirring well
    pour small amount over onions
    place brisket ontop of onions and sprinkle remaining onions over top
    pour remaining sauce to cover entire brisket
    cover TIGHTLY with aluminum foil and bake at 325 degree oven for 5-6 hours
    uncover for last 30-40 minutes
    let cool about 15-20 mins. and slice
    serve sliced with sauce and onions on top!

• lowspark
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ah Jessy! I was WONDERING where you were. It's NEXT week! Get moving girl. I know you are not as thrilled with Passover as I am... but it is inevitable!! :)

• gellchom
    13 years ago

Meh, westsider, do it for 29 years and it feels easy ....

And my brother just requested chopped liver, so add that. But my mom will make that.

Actually, it is pretty easy, because I do a lot of things the same year after year, and I keep my little charts that list each dish, who is making it (mostly me!), when it will be made (and heated/sliced/plated), and even what serving dish and utensil. Once I figured out to do that, it's easy. If you do it, don't forget to include things like setting the table, flowers, candles, seder plate, putting desserts and charoses and such into serving pieces -- that time adds up.

I used to use an onion soup and apricot jam brisket recipe -- from the African-American woman who ran our shul's kitchen, no less -- but then my friend and I found this one, and unless I am in a big hurry, I always use it now. It's GREAT! It was in Bon Appetit 3 years ago, and it's by Diane Rossen Worthington.

BEEF BRISKET WITH MERLOT AND PRUNES
    1 4-to 4 1/2-pound flat-cut (also called first-cut) beef brisket, trimmed of most fat
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    1 14 1/2-ounce can diced tomatoes in juice (preferably fire-roasted)
    1 cup Merlot or other dry red wine
    2 pounds onions, sliced
    4 medium carrots, peeled, thinly sliced
    16 garlic cloves, peeled
    1 1/2 cups pitted large prunes (about 8 ounces)
    1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh thyme
    1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon prune juice
    3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley

Position rack in bottom third of oven and preheat to 325 F.

Pat brisket dry; sprinkle all over with salt and pepper. Heat oil in heavy extra-large skillet over high heat. Add brisket and cook until deep brown, about 7 minutes per side. (When I buy a very big piece, I just sort of fold it and brown 1/4 at a time. I'm sure I look very amusing.) Transfer brisket, fat side up, to large roasting pan.

Add tomatoes with juice and wine to skillet. Remove from heat, scrape up any browned bits, and pour mixture over brisket. Distribute onions, carrots, and garlic around brisket. Add prunes and thyme; drizzle with 1/2 cup prune juice and 3 tablespoons vinegar. Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper. Place pan over 2 burners and bring to boil. Cover pan with heavy-duty foil; place in oven.
    Braise brisket until tender, about 3 hours 15 minutes. Uncover and cool 1 hour at room temperature. DO AHEAD: Can be made 2 days ahead. Cover with foil and chill. Bring just to simmer over 2 burners before continuing.

Remove brisket from roasting pan, scraping off juices. Place on work surface; cut across grain into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Spoon off fat from top of pan juices. Place 1 cup vegetables (no prunes) and 1 cup braising liquid from pan into processor (I use an immersion blender -- thanks, jessyf!) and puree.*

Return puree to pan. Add remaining 1 tablespoon prune juice and 1 teaspoon vinegar to pan. Heat sauce; season with salt and pepper.
    Overlap brisket slices in 13x9x2- inch glass baking dish. Pour sauce over brisket, separating slices to allow some sauce to flow between. DO AHEAD: Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover; chill. (I sometimes freeze it in bags; it comes out fine.)

Rewarm brisket, covered, in 350 F oven for 30 minutes. Sprinkle brisket with parsley; serve.

More info: Use a slender metal pin, like a turkey lacer, to check whether the brisket is tender. Insert the pin into the thickest part; if it meets no resistance, the brisket is done.

Sometimes the prunes dissolve. Don't worry. I usually puree more of the vegetables than the recipe calls for.

• westsider40
    13 years ago

So many delish ideas here. I guess it's my favorite holiday, too.

My cousins still host Pesach. They are in their early '70's but everyone brings something special. One friend brings gefilte fish but it's the real thing. Until I met her, I only had jarred gef fish, but this friend has the fish ground, makes the stock with the head and whatever else, and it is the most delicious thing you've ever had. It's so fresh tasting. My daughter-in-law, a marvelous Chinese cook from the Shanghai area, became a gefilte fish snob after tasting Natalie's fish. She wouldn't even look at a jar. Feh.

I really like the idea of pureeing the vegetables and the braising liquid and if I have my kitchen back somewhat, I will try that. Over the 50 years I have been cooking, I have tried many brisket recipes.

The Chicago Tribune publishes the years 10 best recipes, and one year it was a marvelous holiday brisket with barbecue sauce, green peppers, onions, etc. But it splattered the oven so badly, it took me a long time to clean it up. Now, for the first time, I have a self cleaning oven, so I will attempt that again, soon. Woohoo.

And as a kid, I loved Passover, the changing of the dishes, the repetetive egg dishes, the matzah with butter. The years brought creative observant dishes, not the ones I grew up with. I'm old, mine were pretty plain. Then, I could finish a half box of matzie with butter easily. Guilt and vanity wouldn't permit that now.

Monday, the 18th, only 4 or so days away. And we have so much fun, retelling the story. Quite modified considering our reconstructionist and feminist views. Miriam's orange, of course.

• jessyf
    13 years ago

LOL May, I'm good. I just like to scream. I do love the holiday - just the food gymnastics get me going. Makes me want to go back in time and give a piece of my mind to the rabbis or convert to Sephardic.

Westelle, I was going to ask about the orange right after I saw 'reconstructionist', LOL. We also have a 'Miriam's cup'.

All I know for sure is lamb and salmon (MIL is making beef/chicken the next night), and I have to dig up that strawberry frozen whipped dessert that goes from 1 cup to 14 in no time flat. Oh, and I have two vegans at our table, so no matzah ball soup for them!

• djg1
    13 years ago

Westsider40 -- glad you finally have real gefilte fish. Most the the products that come in jars are pretty bad IMO, whereas the real thing is sort of a beautiful, earthy/country middle-European version of quenelles. Unless you're a victim of a carp recipe -- feh.

I'm completely unprepared, but it'll all be fine. My brother and his family are coming and I just invited my cousin, her husband, and my 90 y.o. aunt. I'll do the brisket, fish, and likely french green beans. My brother does a nice job with soup and his wife with tzimmes and charoset. Finally got the new range and hood installed Monday morning so we're good to go -- we'll get there.

• lowspark
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well the fancy potato dish is officially off my menu. I'm going back to last year's E-Z potato dish that worked quite well. Mini white & red potatoes, mix with evoo, s&p & rosemary, & roast. Why? Because I'm going to be in a time crunch which, although anticipated, is right about now hitting home.

Not that slicing potatoes is really going to take that long... but I just need to keep it simple this year. I'm keeping these recipes though (the one I had and the one Kathy linked to) for future years.

Jessy, that dessert recipe is gellchom's IIRC. I made it last year. It was fun to make because it grew so much!! This year I'm thinking about making meringue cookies and a lemon sorbet. The meringue cookies recipe I found during the last year and have been saving it for Passover. The lemon sorbet I came across in a cookbook just last night and thought about what a nice light ending it would make to the meal.

I've never tried real homemade gefilte fish. I have tried the jarred stuff and don't like it. But eveyone else does so that's what I serve. I also serve lox so that I can have a fish course that I like. My mother never served gefilte - we're Sephardic (or more accurately, Mizrahi). She served smoked whitefish or the like.

Jessy, convert to Sephardic -- c'mon! Welcome! LOL

And now, here's my annual posting of my father's mother's Haroset recipe which she passed to my mother and my mother to me. I always like to say, that unlike the traditional Ashkenazi Haroset which is made with apples, this stuff COULD actually hold bricks together like the mortar it represents. But it is deLICious.

In addition I'll mention that my mother did not use a food processor, she used an old fashioned food mill. This method is better than a food processor because all the peels of the dates naturally separate out during the process but are ground in in the FP. Anyway, here it is.

HAROSET

1 lb dates
    1 lb raisins
    1 Tbsp sugar
    1/2 cup kosher for Passover red wine
    chopped walnuts
    cinnamon

Soak dates and raisins in water for 15 minutes. Drain. Rinse. Put in pot, cover with water (barely covered). Heat to boiling. Simmer on medium 20 minutes. Drain. Puree in food processor. Add 1/2 cup water & sugar. Heat on low 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes. Add wine and nuts. Simmer another 15-20 minutes. Put in bowls and top with nuts and cinnamon. Refrigerate.

• amysrq
    13 years ago

Hi Gellchom, thanks for the kugel recipe. I was chatting with my SIL about this today and she and I both agree...crust is what might make the difference. I am even thinking of using muffin tins....more crust! :-)

• annie1992
    13 years ago

Well, here I am, ready to cook along in solidarity again this year. Elery will be with his daughter-in-law's family and Sorah (DIL) was happy that they are having their brisket from the farm this year. I'll be there in spirit.

Incidentally, I like gefilte fish, and so does Makayla, dishesdone sent us some several years ago, in return I sent her chocolate bunnies. Ashley said it was NOT a good trade. (grin)

Anyway, I tried making haroset, even buying the Manischewitz wine at GB Russo's, in spite of being asked why I would try to buy Jewish wine in an Italian grocery at Easter. I didn't really like the haroset, but I got this recipe in my email today. I'd like to make it this weekend and send it back with Elery, does anyone see any reason why this would be not kosher? Just because it's in Bon Appetit doesn't make it trustworthy and I don't want to screw up

Pistachio and Fruit Haroseth

�1 1/2 cups unsalted natural pistachios
    �1/2 cup chopped pitted dates
    �1/2 cup chopped dried cherries or dried cranberries
    �1/2 cup chopped dried apricots
    �1/4 cup sweet Passover wine
    �1/4 cup pure pomegranate juice
    �1 tablespoon honey
    �1 1/2teaspoons fresh lemon juice
    �1 teaspoon finely grated orange peel
    �1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    �1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
    �Fresh mint sprigs (for garnish)
    Stir pistachios in heavy medium skillet over medium heat until lightly toasted and fragrant, 4 to 5 minutes. Set aside to cool.
    Combine dates, cherries, apricots, wine, and juice in medium bowl. Let stand 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Mix in honey, lemon juice, orange peel, and spices. Chop pistachios; mix into haroseth. DO AHEAD: Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill.

Annie

• annie1992
    13 years ago

And yes, I know that my kitchen is not a kosher kitchen, heck, I'm a heathen Methodist. But Sorah and Tovah are not strictly observant, and just started "doing" Passover since they both had children and wanted to at least expose them to some aspects of the Jewish faith.

So, they won't care that it was made in a Methodist kitchen, they'll just be happy they didn't have to make it since all four of the kids are under the age of 5!

Annie

• annie1992
    13 years ago

And yes, I know that my kitchen is not a kosher kitchen, heck, I'm a heathen Methodist. But Sorah and Tovah are not strictly observant, and just started "doing" Passover since they both had children and wanted to at least expose them to some aspects of the Jewish faith.

So, they won't care that it was made in a Methodist kitchen, they'll just be happy they didn't have to make it since all four of the kids are under the age of 5!

Annie

• jessyf
    13 years ago

Not only does that recipe sound 'kosher', it has pomegranate and honey - two of the known symbolic ancient foods of the times.

• happygram
    13 years ago

So, does anyone have any ideas, suggestions, or wisdom about freezing a meringue? Below is the question I asked on Sunday. Thanks so much for any insight...I don't have any!

Hello Everyone,
    I just realized that Passover is really coming, and soon!
    While I was browsing through some of the previous threads I've saved, I came across this recipe from Arabella Miller:

Dacquois
    2 cups ground toasted almonds
    1 tablespoon potato starch
    6 large egg whites, room temperature
    1 1/2 cups extra fine sugar

Now, this is my idea, and will it work? If so, how can I do it? And, could it be frozen successfully?

I thought that I could make a meringue circle about 1 1/2 inches high in, maybe, a springform, and then freeze it. My thinking is that I could top it with lots of fresh fruits and serve it for dessert. I also thought that maybe I could add some lemon zest or something like that.

Ideas, anyone?
    Thank you in advance.

Happygram

• gellchom
    13 years ago

No need to dig, Jessy - here is the recipe. It is so much fun to make! You can do it a few days ahead.

1 pint fresh strawberries, sliced anad slightly sugared
    3/4 cup sugar
    2 egg whites
    1 T fresh lemon juice
    dash of salt
    3T sweet red wine

Use your biggest bowl; this will grow like you wouldn't believe!
    Beat egg whites until stiff; add sugar and beat until stiff (it turns into marshmallow fluff consistency after sugar is added). While beating at low speed, toss in strawberries, lemon juice, wine, and salt. Start at low speed and increase greadually, beating for 15 minutes. Either spoon it into a 3 qt. bowl (I find it fits perfectly into my big trifle dish) or individual foil cup cake containers. Freeze overnight.
    Garnish with strawberries or shaved chocolate or nuts.

I'm resting after a long evening of cooking.
    Soup has been on the stove for 5 hours. Matzo candy is in the pan in the freezer; I'll break it up tomorrow. Pineapple truffle goo is cooling and will go into the freezer overnight, then I'll roll it into balls and roll them in sugar and coconut tomorrow. Now my feet are up!

• lowspark
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Annie, that recipe sounds divine! I have to make my traditional haroset for Passover and might even be convinced to make two different kinds except for the time constraints I have this year. However, I'm copy-pasting that recipe. With the honey and pomegranites, it sounds like an ideal dish to serve at Rosh Hashana. Thanks for posting that!

• annie1992
    13 years ago

OK, I'm going to Grand Rapids this weekend to look for unsalted pistachios.

Thanks, I knew I could count on all of you!

Annie

• mtnester
    13 years ago

May, several years ago, you posted your Vegetable Kugel recipe. (I've reposted it below.) Your notes say that the flavor was good, but it didn't hold together well, and you would add more matzo meal or potato starch next time. Did you ever experiment further?

I'd like to try the recipe this year, with a couple of changes. I was thinking that it needs a few eggs to bind it together: maybe 3 or 4 for that volume of veggies and matzo meal. I'm also considering the addition of some chopped sweet onion, raisins, or even pineapple. Any other suggestions?

Here's the recipe:

Kugel (Sweet Potato Carrot Apple)

Ingredients:

2 cups grated Red Delicious apples
    2 cups grated raw sweet potato
    2 cups grated raw carrot
    1 cup matzo meal
    1 stick margarine, melted
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    1/4 to 1/2 cup granulated sugar

Instructions:

Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit (160 degrees Celsius or Centigrade). Grease a 9-by-13-inch (22.5 cm x 32.5 cm) pan.

In a large bowl, combine apple, sweet potato, carrot, matzo meal, margarine, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and sugar; mix well.

Pour into prepared pan.

Cover with aluminum foil; bake 45 minutes.

Increase oven heat to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (180 degrees Celsius or Centigrade), remove cover, and bake an additional 15 minutes.

Slice and eat hot.

Makes 12-16 servings.

Sue

• lowspark
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow, I'd forgotten that recipe. No, I never did experiment further. I do like your idea of eggs. I might actually make this. I've been thinking about doing another veggie and I bought some sweet potatoes. This can easily be made in advance like tomorrow night.

So the only thing is, I don't want to buy mar-parve. I've decided not to make anything for the seder that requires butter/marg because I have no other use for it. So I'm thinking: leave out the margarine altogether and throw in the eggs instead. I like the additional ingredients you suggested and will probably go for the pineapple. And I think I will do only half the recipe.

AND OH! I just had an inspiration. Instead of baking it in a large pan, what if I make it in a muffin tin! That might make it bind together a bit better too. AND makes for easy serving.

Thanks for posting that recipe again!

• mtnester
    13 years ago

Hmmmm, if you don't add butter or margarine, maybe a little oil (I think sesame oil is kosher for Passover) would help moisten it. I wish I knew more about the chemistry of baking and what can be substituted or omitted (or not).

Muffins sound like a great idea! I will probably make the whole recipe, though, as DH and my cousin are ... what is the polite word for "gluttons"? ;-)

There are only three of us for the first Seder--no guests--so I'm keeping it pretty simple (on the second night, we're going to my niece's for the more traditional version). I'm trying not to stress too much, but I've got to have my shopping list ready by tomorrow, which means I've got to make decisions by then.

Sue

• gellchom
    13 years ago

"... what is the polite word for 'gluttons'?"

In our case ... "family." We love to eat!

I am so excited this year because of FMTO's mom coming. This will be her first visit her, and her first time meeting my brother and BIL and our friends, and I really want her to have a wonderful time.

We're up to 18 now because a couple I thought would be out of town are coming after all. I'm very glad -- it wouldn't feel like a seder without the gentile guests. Keeps us all on our good behavior.

Too bad we don't have any little kids, though. It feels almost pointless without them. The youngest will be around 20, and if he doesn't show up, then 25. The afikomen hunt will be for everyone under 50! (But they are getting really nice prizes.)

I'm sure I'll be having lots of questions as usual before Monday, but with all the company coming, I may not be on line much, so just in case:

Happy Pesach to all! I hope Elijah thinks you make the best brisket ever.

• lowspark
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I know what you mean about little ones! My son, Ben, who is 20, has been stuck with the Ma Nishtana since he was old enough to say it! I'm sure he's WAY ready to relinquish the responsibility.

And the afikomen... the last two years I put my two sons in charge of hiding it with the "adults" as the seekers. (I put adults in quotes because let's face it, they are adults too now.) The first year they hid it too well... it's supposed to be hidden in PLAIN sight! The next year their attempt at creativity was not that successful. They taped it to the ceiling but the tape didn't hold well. Let's see what they come up with this year. :)

• annie1992
    13 years ago

Gellchom, just think, with a wedding coming up, one of these years maybe you'll have grandchildren to play with, now that'll b efun.

Polite word for gluttons? "Enthusiastic dinnr guests"? (grin) or "good eaters"? That's what Grandma used to say about my brother's friends who ate like a hoard of locusts, that they were "good eaters". LOL

Annie

• gellchom
    13 years ago

Oh, I hope, I hope ... !

My kidz are not ready to be parents. But I am very ready to be a grandparent! I can't wait.

For now, Thing One and FMTO are bringing their new puppy. And yes, I did buy him a present.

• lowspark
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Just came across this recipe for Vegetarian "gefilte" which I hope to make, time permitting, so that Ben, my veg son, has something to eat during the fish course. I thought I'd post it here in case anyone else is interested. This is not t&t yet, but I will definitely report back if I make it.

Vegetarian Gefilte Fish

* 6 eggs, 5 of them hardboiled
    * 1 large onion chopped fine
    * tablespoon oil
    * 1 carrot
    * 1 medium potato
    * 2 teaspoons matzoh meal
    * salt & pepper

Saute the onion in oil until golden brown
    Puree the 5 hard boiled eggs with 2/3 of the cook onion
    Put the rest of the onion in a pot with 1 cup of water & bring to a boil
    Peel the carrot, cut into round slices, add to the onion water & cook for 1/2 hour
    Peel potato and finely grate it
    Add the grated potato, matzoh meal, & uncooked egg, salt & pepper to the pureed egg-onion mix and stir well.
    With moist hands form 6-8 oval shaped balls from the mixture (should be gefilte fish shaped)
    Add the balls to the pot with the onion & carrot in it and cook for 20 minutes over low heat
    Serve cold

• lowspark
    Original Author
    13 years ago

In case anyone wants to make those Gefilte Veg that I posted above, I made them and ooh boy. They fell apart in the water. Don't know what I did wrong, but fortunately I had 4 leftover balls which I didn't think would fit in the water, planning for a second batch. Instead of boiling them, I pan fried them and they came out ok. If Ben likes these, I will make them again but boiling is a no go.