SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jockewing

Does my grandmother need a new AC? Please help!

jockewing
14 years ago

My 89 year old grandmother has an 1850 sq foot 4 bedroom house. The home is about 25 yo in excellent shape, a new AC unit was installed about 10 years ago. We live in the New Orleans area where an operable AC is an absolute necessity, especially for someone her age.

Last weekend we noticed during the hottest part of the day, the AC would not go below 78 degrees. During the night and the morning, it will get the house into the low seventies. She called in a serviceman and they added 2 pounds of coolant to the system. It worked great for a few days, but by the next weekend, the same thing was happening. So, another service call. They add more coolant and inspect the unit. Now they are claiming there is some type of leak (they did not specify), and there are cracks in the duct work upstairs. Granted, since the 2nd time they added coolant, the unit is operating fine, we can get the house into the low 70s even during the hottest part of the day.

We had 3 companies come out to check on the system. The first wanted $5,000!!!! just to "patch" (did not specify what that meant) the system. The second and third want to put in a whole new system to the tune of $6-$8K. Now it seems to me that this AC is functioning 95% of the time at full capacity, and even when it wasn't operating at total capacity, the house was still kept in the upper 70s, so it was bearable. Although I know nothing about AC systems, it would seem to me that a system that was changed only 10 years ago and is working at 95% does NOT need to be totally replaced. There must be some type of repair that will fix the problem without having to completely change the system. Of course I am concerned these people are trying to take advantage of my 89 year old grandmother (I was at work during the service calls, so I couldn't be there). Is there something I can do to make sure these people aren't just trying to get us to drop 8 grand?

Now, let's say a new system is needed--- here are the 3 systems the last service man proposed:

1. Trane 3.5 ton XB13 R410-A Model 4TTB3042 (price $6,234)

2. Trane 3.5 Ton XR14 R410A Model 4TTR4042 (price $7,286)

3. Trane 3.5 Ton XL15i Ultra Model 4TTX5042 (price $7,983)

Experts, please advise!! Does it sound like she needs a whole new system? Is there a repair that can be made that does not require a completely new system? Which of the 3 choices is the most cost effective?

Comments (5)