SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lpinkmountain

Two Tofu salads

lpinkmountain
12 years ago

The recent thread on "eggless egg salad" along with my new, more hectic schedule combined to create the impetus for me to make some quick, healthy, protein-filled snack food. So for those of you voyeurs who want a peek into my freaky vegetarian kitchen (I'm kidding folks!) here's a photo of the two tofu salads I made. "Tofu, spinach and feta spread" on the left, "Tofu picadillo on the right." The spinach spread was very yummy, but the other one was just so so. It really needs to be made with baked smoked tofu.

Recipe for Tofu, feta and spinach spread--great on crackers and pita!

1/2 cup firm silken tofu (Could use regular tofu, I just had this on hand. Don't use baked tofu for this spread though--too firm. Silken is best for the recipe.)

1/8 cup may (Just a big glob if you don't have an 1/8 cup measure)

1/8 cup lite sour cream (I could have used greek yogurt)

1/2 cup low fat feta (or whatever feta you like.)

1 cup frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed very well to extract all the liquid

1/2 cucumber, seeded and salted to remove water so the spread doesn't get watery.

About 2 heaping TBLSP chopped red onion

1/4 tsp. Mrs. Dash garlic and herb seasoning

1/4 tsp. oregano

Combine the tofu, mayo, sour cream and feta. Mash up well with a potato masher. Combine with the spinach and other ingredients. Refrigerate for about 1/2 hour at least for flavors to combine.

The Tofu picadillo was just the rest of the tofu (about a cup) mashed up with some barbecue sauce, a heap of chopped green olives with pimento, some chopped scallions and celery, and a generous sprinkle of Mrs. Dash's Caribbean seasoning. Not a bad recipe but use a baked tofu or a well drained or marinated regular style tofu , not a silken style like I used.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm