SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stacy3_gw

Question about sol's cranberry cream scones

stacy3
16 years ago

Hi - I've made these yummy things before, but always when I had fresh cranberries.

I would like to take them to Scott's brother and SIL when we visit and of course, I can't find fresh cranberries.

All I can find is sweetened dried cranberries. Will they work? Would I soak them first? Would I reduce the amt of sugar in the scone recipe due to the fact that they're sweetened? (there's only 1/3 cup to begin with...) Would I use the same amount as fresh?

I don't have much natural common sense when it comes to baking...:-)

Thanks!

Stacy

Cranberry Cream Scones -Sol

2 cups unsifted AP flour, plus flour for dusting

1/3 cup sugar

3 teaspoons baking powder

¼ teaspoon salt

½ cup fresh cranberries

1 1/3 cups heavy cream

1 tablespoon each melted butter and confectioner's sugar *

Position the oven rack in the lower third of the oven. Preheat oven to 375ºF.

Sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Mix the cranberries into the flour mixture. Whip the heavy cream in a bowl until soft peaks form.

Fold the whipped cream into the dry ingredients, just until it forms a rough, semicohesive mass. Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface and knead gently, only a few times, until the dough holds together. Lightly flour your hands and pat the dough into a 8" circle on a lined baking sheet (I place the dough on a baking stone, lined with parchment). Brush the surface with the butter and sprinkle with the powdered sugar*

Cut circle into 10 wedges, without detaching them. And bake for 30-35 minutes or until golden. Cut into the premarked wedges after they're baked.

Courtesy: Flo Braker.

*I use granulated sugar.

Comments (3)