SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dgranara

A sweet little story...

dgranara
12 years ago

Five years ago my husbands aunt, Kathy, was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. She passed away in 2009. After her diagnosis, she and the family founded a non-profit charity with the purpose of raising money for pancreatic cancer research.

Anyway, this past Saturday was our annual 5K walk/run. After the walk, we always have a big reception with food, drinks and tons of raffles. This year, there was a bunch of Bruins memorabilia being raffled off (we're outside of Boston and, of course, they won the Stanley Cup!). My two boys are hockey players and are huge Bruins fans, so I sent them over to the Bruins table with $5 each to buy raffles. As I was walking up behind them, I heard my 6 year-old, Finn, ask the raffle lady "How much for the stick?"

My heart just broke. My little guy not only thought that he could buy the raffles, but that $5 was sufficient for a stick signed by the entire 2011 Stanley Cup Championship team. It was just so sweet and sad.

So, to make a long story short(er), when the announcer began calling the raffle winners, Finn said he had to use the restroom. This has been a very difficult year for my guy. He was diagnosed with Crohn's Disease in June and has been through many procedures, tests, etc., over the last few months. He's also prone to frequent restroom stops. My husband took Finn to the restroom while I stayed with our other son.

Ten minutes into the "name calling," wouldn't you know it - Finn WON THE HOCKEY STICK! I had tears in my eyes as I went up to get it for him. Someone (Aunty Kathy) was watching over my little guy that day and decided he needed a pick-me-up (he really did!) It was just such a wonderful moment. I marched that stick right into the restroom to give it to him. He was so thrilled - he came zooming out the restroom holding it up.

As an aside, my guy is having (another!) colonoscopy on Thursday morning and we'd appreciate your prayers. I know he'll be fine, but the last colonoscopy resulted in a 3 day hospital stay and we do NOT want a repeat performance of that!

Comments (20)