SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mwrede

Help - AC compressor died

mwrede
15 years ago

We came back from a vacation to find a heat wave and our 2nd story air conditioner that was not working. (It was blowing very little air that was warm). Called AC company and they said that the compressor (Copeland CR42K-PFV-230) shorted. This is inside a Goodman CKL42-1A condenser (10 SEER, 3.5 ton). It's a 2002 model and the warranty has expired.

Then I remembered the people selling us our house bought a home warranty (AHS)so I called them and after many days we might be able to have someone look at it this Sat (a week after it broke down). I am not sure if they'll agree to replace our compressor or if they'll find a reason to say it's not covered.

In case we have to get someone else in I have made a couple of calls and the price I am getting to get the compressor replaced with the new copeland model (CR42K6-PFV-970) is about $1500 labor & materials with only a 30 day warranty on labor and 1 year on the compressor. Is this right?

In the mean time I read something along the lines of if the reason the compressor shorted is not corrected the new compressor might also fail, which makes me very worried.

Now if we could replace the whole condenser for not much more money then we could get the 5 -10 year warranty on it but I guess since it's 10 SEER they said they don't put them in anymore.

If the home warranty company does not fix the problem (which might be a temporary solution anyway because from what I understand they just patch things up) what would you do? Would you get the new compressor even through the warranty on it is so short? Should we look into another AC altogether with a higher SEER value so at least we can get a parts/labor warranty?

Also at the same time our gas furnace that's attached to the ac unit up in our attic is 16 years old and lot of people are saying we should replace that soon too. The AC company was saying we could replace both of the them at the same time and save on installation cost.

Any thoughts are highly appreciated!

Comments (6)