SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
skalek_gw

Upstairs AC & Air Handler replacement - Advice Please

Skalek
11 years ago

Hi All,

I have a refrigerant leak in an old 10 seer ac compressor and have finally decided to replace it rather than continue to throw money into charging it. We are located in Long Island so humidity can get high here.

I have quoted the following models and prices and was hoping someone could provide some insight or suggestions on the direction I should take. When deciding, I am thinking about efficiency as well as comfort. My wife works from home and her office can get warm, so comfort level is very important to us.

With that said here are the proposed units and the total costs for replacing the Air conditioner and handler. These costs already have all federal, power company, and manufacturer rebates deducted:

Carrier Infinity 3 Ton/17 SEER/2 Stage Unit (includes SYSTXCCITN01 touch screen thermostat): $9,000

Goodman DSXC18 2 Ton/18 SEER/2 Stage Unit (Unknown thermostat): $6,800

Carrier Performance 3 Ton/16 SEER/1 Stage (Unknown thermostat): $6,900

I am being told that the air handler will be the recommended manufacturer's match for the air conditioner. Waiting back to hear back from them for specific model numbers. All installs include running a new refrigerant line outside to conditioner covered by leader pipe, all installation, etc.

Can anyone offer any insight as to whether these numbers are fair and if one solution may be better than another?

Also there was no load calculation done by ANY of the three companies I received quotes from. Is this normal? SHould I be concerned?

Thanks in advance.

John

Comments (21)