SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kellykct

Central AC-air handler necessary?

kellykct
7 years ago

We're in the process of getting estimates for installing central air in our 1100 sq ft cape cod. We already have the ductwork in place for forced hot air. So far we've received two estimates (both from recommendations from my husband's carpentry associates), with one technician recommending an air handler along with the condenser unit. His estimate includes the handler and condenser, both Rheem 2 ton 16 SEER units. ($6800) His rationale for installing a handler (behind the knee wall in an upstairs bedroom) is because our vents are located on the lower portion of the wall near the floor in each room, the cool air won't be distributed efficiently. He said it's preferable to have AC vents on the ceiling. Of course I understand that it would be better to have the AC flow from a higher point, but does that justify adding a separate handler? This tech also told my husband that using the existing ductwork is "just not something you want to do." He couldn't really give any other clear reasons though.

The second technician who came said an air handler is unnecessary and that we can use the existing ductwork so that heat and AC will flow from the same vents. He's asking for $5000, which includes insulating the existing ductwork, which is at least 10-15 years old.

Friends and neighbors we've spoken to agree that we don't need an air handler. We're trying to educate ourselves and make the best decision. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (2)